Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2020, 07:40 AM   #1

Front end diesel?

Just found an interesting Motorhome. It's a Front End Diesel motorhome! It'a 2010 TIFFIN MOTORHOMES ALLEGRO 35QBA which is a bunkhouse model. Anybody running a front end diesel?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2020, 07:53 AM   #2

Today, front end diesel motorhomes are only owned by people that have Unicorns as pets.

They’re a very select group.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:53 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
There are quite a few front end diesels on the road, especially with the new Super C models. Other than the added noise with the engine right at your feet, it should do very well. Take it for a test drive and see what you think. It's probably not a whole lot different than a school bus or a screaming V8 or V10! Just remember, all coaches are quiet when they're parked!
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:56 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
We had a Tiffin Allegro Bay 35TSB FRED. Found it to be a very reliable coach. Especially enjoyed the power pulling steep grades in the Colorado mountains. It was noisy tho, but that can be expected given the engine is up front.
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:22 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDad View Post
Just found an interesting Motorhome. It's a Front End Diesel motorhome! It'a 2010 TIFFIN MOTORHOMES ALLEGRO 35QBA which is a bunkhouse model. Anybody running a front end diesel?

I have a 2008 32LA FRED. I did a ton of research prior to making my decision as to what I wanted and once I found FREDs, it was a done deal; there was no way I was going to settle for anything else. Finding one however, was quite a challenge, there were 3 in the entire country at the time I wanted to buy. I've been very happy with it although I just bought a house and have, reluctantly, put it up for sale.
PonderosaMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:53 AM   #6

We purchased a well maintained 2008 35” FRED last year from a friend. We’re very happy with it...yes, it is a little noisier than a DP which we don’t find a big issue at all, but we had a gasser prior to this so a little noise isn’t a big deal to us. On the positive side you won’t be dealing with that hump in the back bedroom that you get with a DP.
The only negative we’ve found in our FRED is there is less under storage than our gasser had.
Frank Dor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:29 AM   #7

The "FRED" chassis was used mostly by Tiffin under their Allegro Bay models, and to a lesser extent, under their Allegro models. They were more expensive than the same coach on a gasser chassis, and did not offer the air ride suspensions common to other diesel chassis.

FCCC made "most" of the FREDs, and coined the name, but Workhorse also made a few for use under specific coaches built by other builders, like Thor (I don't think Tiffin used any of them).

Not sure why Tiffin stopped using them, but I suspect they were too close in price to a DP with the same engine and tranny.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
The "FRED" chassis was used mostly by Tiffin under their Allegro Bay models, and to a lesser extent, under their Allegro models. They were more expensive than the same coach on a gasser chassis, and did not offer the air ride suspensions common to other diesel chassis.

FCCC made "most" of the FREDs, and coined the name, but Workhorse also made a few for use under specific coaches built by other builders, like Thor (I don't think Tiffin used any of them).

Not sure why Tiffin stopped using them, but I suspect they were too close in price to a DP with the same engine and tranny.
I have a 2012 Thor Serrano. "FRED" I've put almost 50K on it and have had no problems. Saying that is probably going to jinx me. But I've been very happy with it. Not a hot rod for sure but we get there just the same.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:01 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
My 1st RV was a Fleetwood Southwind Eagle 1983 FRED, bloody noisy upfront. And tired starter motor + electrics in general (brand new battery but limited space, because it was a FRED, so not that big) combined with probably tired glow plugs could make starting it "interesting".
My 2nd (and current) RV has the diesel engine where it should be, in the back, with space for a decent size chassis battery and 17 years newer, fires up first time, every time (except when the starter motor died inside a dutch ferry).
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:35 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
2008 Allegro Bay 38TGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonderosaMax View Post
I have a 2008 32LA FRED. I did a ton of research prior to making my decision as to what I wanted and once I found FREDs, it was a done deal; there was no way I was going to settle for anything else. Finding one however, was quite a challenge, there were 3 in the entire country at the time I wanted to buy. I've been very happy with it although I just bought a house and have, reluctantly, put it up for sale.
I have a 2008, this is my third class A MotorHome, my previous two was a Ford V10 and the other was a Workhorse, by far, for the pice point, the best purchase, it is noisy at times, way less than the V10, at cruise speed much quieter, the pulling power on mountain passes is great, the exhaust break is fantastic, no more white knuckle heading down 8 plus grade. The guys who down grade this unit have more money to spend than I, my point, I spent a lot less to acquire, and it gets me there just as better than a DP, once parked in a resort, it looks as great as any unit around, after all it is a Tiffin!
Terry K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:50 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvistheKing View Post
My 1st RV was a Fleetwood Southwind Eagle 1983 FRED, bloody noisy upfront. And tired starter motor + electrics in general (brand new battery but limited space, because it was a FRED, so not that big) combined with probably tired glow plugs could make starting it "interesting".
My 2nd (and current) RV has the diesel engine where it should be, in the back, with space for a decent size chassis battery and 17 years newer, fires up first time, every time (except when the starter motor died inside a dutch ferry).
Doubtful that any FRED has glow plugs. Modern diesels use a heater grid in the intake which is why you can't use starting fluid now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapa1 View Post
I have a 2012 Thor Serrano. "FRED" I've put almost 50K on it and have had no problems. Saying that is probably going to jinx me. But I've been very happy with it. Not a hot rod for sure but we get there just the same.
Yes, the THOR Serrano was built on a Workhorse "Fred" equipped with a Navistar diesel. There was another coach that (I think) preceeded the Serrano, but memory fails what it was called.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Doubtful that any FRED has glow plugs. Modern diesels use a heater grid in the intake which is why you can't use starting fluid now.
They did in 1983.....as the OP said.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDad View Post

I have a 2008 Allegro Bay Fred. The noise is less than V10 and no large engine hump, since freightliner chassis and engine mounted lower. A little sound proofing will help with some of the engine noise. At highway speed, due to Diesel engine and lower RPM,s, it’s quiet. You won’t get air brakes or suspension but with good shocks and tire pressure, you will be happy with the ride. Since Fred,s have the heavier upfront engine, they handle good on the highway with less impact from passing larger vehicles and no porpoising. Fred’s do have pros and cons but overall a good motorhome and will serve you well.
Socal626 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel