Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2022, 08:31 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Front slide outs won’t retract

When leaving one of the CG’s, I retracted the room slides, once they were retracted I then went onto to retract the jacks. I pushed auto retract and it seemed to me that the chiming was chiming for too long. None of the jack lights went out so I went out to investigate down at the pump. HWH 725

I found out that the 40 amp fuse blew and melted the fuse holder. I opened the 4 solenoids and retracted the jacks. At first I mistakenly opened the two solenoids for the slides. I went to Advance Auto in picked up a new holder and a couple of 40 amp fuses. When I replaced the fuse holder I noticed after manually retracted the jacks that there was a puddle of hydraulic oil in the compartment. I cleaned it up and closed the valves.

Now the jacks extend and retract but the slides opened but I couldn’t get them to retract. BTW the slides almost opened by themselves but now that they are opened I can’t seem to close them.

The question is….. Is there a priming process that must be done since I had opened the slide solenoids? I’m hoping that is the case! Otherwise how do you close up? These are pretty big slides on the 40AH I hate to think it would be all muscle. TIA
lijbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2022, 08:27 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Have you tried removing the gray plug on the top of your hydraulics and reinsert? It has a plastic clip on the top you have to pull and then it releases the plug. I have a 2021 40IH and had to do this last week, neither of our two large hydraulic slides would move. The jacks would not move either, tried to manually lift the coach and jack didn’t move. So we new it was hydraulic related. Removing the gray plug and then pushing it back in seemed to reset or sync back up. Slides came in and jacks stored when I hit auto store.
Old 09-12-2022, 09:59 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What year is your coach? Make sure the solenoid valves are closed properly and have not been damaged. Check the fluid level as well. It sounds like the solenoids are still open.
Makes me wonder if one is not bad and that caused the fuse to blow.
Also as mentioned, try a reset.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:43 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
All set!

Well, you nailed it! On the rear of the pump there are 6 solenoids not 4 as I thought. My HWH manual didn’t supply information on the pump unit other than showing schematics of the jacks nothing about the slides.

Apparently when trying to get the jacks to retract, I must have reached around the back and opened the slide room retract solenoids. The room extender valves are facing out towards you, and the two retract valves are in the rear down low.

I called Corey Davis at Tiffin and we were able to ferret out the problem. Thanks for all your suggestions. I’m still going to bring the coach in for service to see what caused the increase in the current draw to blow the 40 amp fuse.
lijbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:02 AM   #5

It was mentioned "the 40 amp fuse blew and melted the fuse holder"... cannot happen in that order.
Once the fuse would open, then there is no more current flow. So most likely what happened is there is a substantial amount of current flowing through the fuse/holder and any corrosion or dirt causes resistance and with the higher current causes heat. So the fuseholder may have been 'melting' for awhile, creating more resistance/heat that caused the fuse to melt... that is also what the fuse link does when excess current flows through them, they melt.
Still check the current draw, but I suspect all will be fine.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out