Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2022, 05:52 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Front Tire Temps

I just returned from a trip and am concerned about the tire temperature on my front tires. I have a 2018 32SA with Michelin tires; I keep the front tires at 87 psi and rears around 92/93, measured cold. I monitor the rv and tow tires with a GUTA GT107 TPMS. I tow a 2017, 2 door Jeep Wrangler.

While driving mid-day (avg speed of 55-60 mph) on the hot August pavement, the 4 rear tires were all about 104-106 psi and about 100-104 degrees, which is about what I expected. I had some concern on the front tires. The passenger side was anywhere from 102-108 psi and the temp got as high as 144 degrees, when I was breaking a lot. The temp would come down to 110-118 or so when I was able to use the tow/engine break more on longer stretches of highway. The drivers side ran about 100-104 psi and reached a peak temp of 122 and would come down to around 100-108 degrees when I could use the tow/engine break.

1) What would make the passenger side front tire be so much hotter than the drivers side?

2) What are 'acceptable' temperature ranges for summer driving that I should expect on the tires and where should I set the temp alarms on my TPMS?

I am going to take her in to get the front end checked out, but am interested in the groups opinion. As always, any feedback is greatly appreciated!
RollinTiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2022, 07:26 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would start with whether you've weighed the coach and adjusted tire pressure based on actual weights. As to your questions:

1. Was the sun on the side that was hotter? I would also think that a sticking brake (or a nonfunctional one on the other side causing a load imbalance) could heat it up pretty good. I'd say you're on the right track to take it in to get checked out, just in case.

2. For me, I like to see consistency in the temps more than I worry about how hot they are. My TPMS measures temps at the sensor, which is at the end of the valve stem. So, I don't put a lot of stock in a correct reading anyway. I do notice that the curb side inner dual runs a bit hotter because the exhaust (muffler) is right next to it.
Scepter40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:52 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As Keith mentioned...was the sun hitting that side?

I use an IR gun every time I stop and I look for a tire that is 10 degrees hotter than the rest of them. That tells me it is low on air.

With an IR gun you can shoot the brakes and differential too.

Exhaust, wind direction, sun location, etc will all play a part in tire temperature. As time goes on you will see how things affect it.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:09 AM   #4

All of the above. The first step is to get individual weights of all four positions. Then, if the front tires are carrying the same weights, inflate to the recommended pressure for your tires according to the correct load inflation table. Most will add 5-10% to account for starting temp changes. Then if you do not have a bearing or dragging brake problem they should be equal except for the influence of the sun or wind direction. I wouldn't put much faith in the temp reading of the TPMS. An IR gun after stopping will tell the real story.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:50 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you were braking a lot, that would cause the temps to go up. Just to sure it’s not a sensor, switch the front ones.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:10 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the responses! This forum is AWESOME!

The sun was not on the passenger side during this drive. I did however, stay in the right lane which would introduce the right camber of the road into the equation.

I don't have an IR temp sensor but may look into getting one. That would be a great tool to have on the coach for a number of reasons. I'm pretty sure the sensor itself is ok as the temp and pressure align with the other ones when I am parked.

I haven't weighed my coach but will try to get that done. Makes sense though there are no 'exceptional' items on that side of the coach (except my wife!! LMAO!). I really need to get that done so I can get the tire pressures set accurately once and for all.

I have an appointment for Friday morning to have the front end checked. I will update with the findings. Thanks again!!
RollinTiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 05:29 PM   #7

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinTiffy View Post
I just returned from a trip and am concerned about the tire temperature on my front tires. I have a 2018 32SA with Michelin tires; I keep the front tires at 87 psi and rears around 92/93, measured cold. I monitor the rv and tow tires with a GUTA GT107 TPMS. I tow a 2017, 2 door Jeep Wrangler.

While driving mid-day (avg speed of 55-60 mph) on the hot August pavement, the 4 rear tires were all about 104-106 psi and about 100-104 degrees, which is about what I expected. I had some concern on the front tires. The passenger side was anywhere from 102-108 psi and the temp got as high as 144 degrees, when I was breaking a lot. The temp would come down to 110-118 or so when I was able to use the tow/engine break more on longer stretches of highway. The drivers side ran about 100-104 psi and reached a peak temp of 122 and would come down to around 100-108 degrees when I could use the tow/engine break.

1) What would make the passenger side front tire be so much hotter than the drivers side?

2) What are 'acceptable' temperature ranges for summer driving that I should expect on the tires and where should I set the temp alarms on my TPMS?

I am going to take her in to get the front end checked out, but am interested in the groups opinion. As always, any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Do your inflation's match the chart numbers for your scale readings%?
Old 08-23-2022, 05:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinTiffy View Post

I haven't weighed my coach but will try to get that done. Makes sense though there are no 'exceptional' items on that side of the coach (except my wife!! LMAO!). I really need to get that done so I can get the tire pressures set accurately once and for all.
Get your loaded for travel weights ; I cannot ever remember any class A that the front tire pressure didn't have to be higher than the rear.
92/93 rear should translate to 100/105 front .

BTW ; Change your user name and password now ; if your DW reads this the next thing we see will be your obituary .
In my case I make sure the DW's purse is in the bedroom when we travel .

Now I'm off to change passwords again and delete this thread from all my records.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:08 AM   #9

Commercial Member

Unti you get actual scale weight you should follow placard I flatiron.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:24 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I totally agree with what other have stated here, You need to get your coach weighed on all four corners. IMHO, you are running your tire with low pressure which will generate more heat particularly when using your breaks. You may not realize that there is a weight difference on that side of the coach depending on construction of the coach, ie, The front door, steps, fuel tank and lines etc. With my coach 4 cornered weighed, I am running 100 Ibs in the front and 92 in the rears and my temps even on a very hot day (97 degree's air temps) driving to Tennessee never got over 102.
HerbieHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 04:19 AM   #11

General information on the 32 SA and XRV tires notes the following. Front axel rating 8000 lbs, rear axel I think 15,500 for 24 K chassis. The Micheline chart notes 80 psi per corner F & R is adequate for the respective axel. In my experience, this pressure is low and promotes excessive sidewall flex, and will increase tire temperature. I weighed my coach and have setteled with a front tire pressure of 96 and rear at 90. These pressures allow me the best combination of ride and handling without the front tires feeling soft.
Old 08-25-2022, 09:28 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On my 34PA, I run with 95psi in the front and 90psi on the rears. Those #s are based on CAT Scale weights on the 1st day of travel , and include a 10% bump to take in side-to-side variation. My travel weights are very consistent, trip to trip. Granted, my Open Road has a higher GVWR than yours, with a 9000lb front axle rating, but as stated above, those front 2 tires on the Open Road are typically working harder to carry their respective loads than your duals are doing at the rear with their shared loads. For sure, you need to weigh your RV, and the sooner the better, as your understanding of how your tires are loaded appears 180 degrees out. And while a 4 corner weigh is desirable, for now, get to a CAT Scale with your MH loaded to best simulate your travel weight so you know exactly what you need to inflate your tires to. The last thing you want to experience is a front tire blowout.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 10:49 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
On my 34PA, I run with 95psi in the front and 90psi on the rears. Those #s are based on CAT Scale weights on the 1st day of travel , and include a 10% bump to take in side-to-side variation. My travel weights are very consistent, trip to trip. Granted, my Open Road has a higher GVWR than yours, with a 9000lb front axle rating, but as stated above, those front 2 tires on the Open Road are typically working harder to carry their respective loads than your duals are doing at the rear with their shared loads. For sure, you need to weigh your RV, and the sooner the better, as your understanding of how your tires are loaded appears 180 degrees out. And while a 4 corner weigh is desirable, for now, get to a CAT Scale with your MH loaded to best simulate your travel weight so you know exactly what you need to inflate your tires to. The last thing you want to experience is a front tire blowout.
Actually, as I now look from my computer (I was on my phone before) I see that you have a 9000lb capable front axle paired to a 15,500lb capable rear. All the more reason, when you divide the axle ratings by the number of tires (there's always variation by corner to also deal with), to expect that your front tires will require a higher psi than the rears, with actual weights telling you what your actual psi's need to be. Safe travels.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 04:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
General information on the 32 SA and XRV tires notes the following. Front axel rating 8000 lbs, rear axel I think 15,500 for 24 K chassis. The Micheline chart notes 80 psi per corner F & R is adequate for the respective axel. In my experience, this pressure is low and promotes excessive sidewall flex, and will increase tire temperature. I weighed my coach and have setteled with a front tire pressure of 96 and rear at 90. These pressures allow me the best combination of ride and handling without the front tires feeling soft.
My error Front axle 9000 lbs not 8000 lbs.

Tags
temperature, tire