Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2018, 05:46 PM   #1

fuel shut off

can someone please tell me where the relay is for the fuel shut off switch it , It has 3 wires going to it , only have power to the red wire ,I have traced the wires around the Cummins 300 8.3 engine and the white and black and red wires are going to the front of the Motorhome bus , it is a 96 Allegro bus with Freightline chassic , I found 7 relays in the dash but none of them go to the fuel shutoff , it does not have power in the white wire to engage the shutoff valve, thanks for the help Donald
hrcincdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2018, 06:22 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Donald- Please tell Us what problem your having 1st of all, and I'm sure others will chime in.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:30 PM   #3

Does your fuel shut off solenoid , look like the one in this picture?

If so the white wire from the relay is only powered up while the starter is engaged cranking the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cummins 5.9 fuel solenoid.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	202341  
Old 05-12-2018, 06:23 PM   #4

fuel shutoff problem

yes Skip426 it looks like that one , but the relay is not like that one , I do not think , I contact freightliner and they sent me a diagram of the wiring for the chassic , I been looking for the relay , but do not know if I am looking at the right places and if I am looking for the right thing , I found 2 Ford starter solenoid , like you find on the Ford Trucks , from the wiring diagram that is what controls the solenoid to engage , but when I bought 2 of them to replace them , the motor would not fire up and the engine just kept turning over and had to disconnect the battery cables to stop it , the key switch would not stop the engine so I had to take the battery cables loose ,

any help would be thankful Donald
Old 05-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #5

Donald , did Freightliner send you wiring diagrams or schematics , or both ?

The diagrams , are marked with measurements from point to point and if you can locate the relay's multiple connector in the diagram the measurements can help narrow down the location , by giving you the length of harness between the connector and a known point in the harness.
If your having trouble with the diagram , send me a PM and we can arrange for you to send me the pdf of the diagram so I can go over it .

EDIT: To send me a PM ( Personal Message ) click on my user name in the top left corner of this post and select , personal message , from the drop box.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #6

they only sent the schematics to me , that is why it so hard to find the relays I have include the 2 files they sent me I hope you can get them , I have a hard time getting around this site
Old 05-13-2018, 03:58 PM   #7

Files didn't post .
Call Freightliner back and get wiring diagrams sent to you . Much easier to follow and locate parts.
I've sent you a PM .
and this link will take you to the forums learning center , I had so much trouble posting photos when I started here , I printed pages of instructions out , so I could re-read instructions while attempting to post. But then my computer skills are marginal to say the least , when I was in school we weren't allowed to carry those new calculators had to work with a slide rule.
Wan't to scare a kid these days ... hand them a slide rule and tell them they'll need it when the internet, and all computers go down.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/forum...ics-49134.html
Old 05-13-2018, 06:26 PM   #8

Once again- Tell us what problem your having !!
Old 05-14-2018, 06:41 PM   #9

96 Allegro bus fuel shut off

the problem is can not fire the engine up , the fuel shutoff is not getting power to engage the shutoff valve, trying to find out where the relays are for the shutoff solenoid ,

it will fire up if someone push the shutoff solenoid up when turning the key to crank I found 2 solenoid like the old Ford trucks have on the fender and changed them , but when I changed them and try to crank it , once it start turning over to crank it hangs up and have to pull battery cables off to get it to stop , the key will not turn it off ,

trying to figure out if they is another relay somewhere else holding it in

I put the old relays back in and the motor was back to normal , but will not pull the fuel solenoid engage so the motor will fire up
Old 05-14-2018, 08:10 PM   #10

Here's a schematic of the early to late 90's typical set up.
Mine has a dedicated remote relay/Solenoid on the frame rail near the engine.
Yours may differ.
Yo may want to look at the Starter Solenoid mounted on your Starter.
Fuel solenoid 101- carry wire ties in your tool box, if it fails while traveling just wire tie it open to continue driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter Wiring.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	202744  

Tags
fuel