Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2021, 08:18 AM   #1

Fueling from both sides

Has anyone tried fueling from both sides at a truck stop?

Lloyd and Jann
Winger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2021, 08:23 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Not on purpose but often I have trouble filling on the drivers side, so I leave the hose and nozzle there and complete the job on the passenger side.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:26 AM   #3

Fuel tank won't vent fast enough for one high flow nozzle anyway and increased chance of a major fuel spill !
Old 09-26-2021, 09:57 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I tried it once and it was more trouble than it was worth. On my Phaeton the PS fuel fill is located lower than the DS. I started the satellite pump and by the time I walked back to the DS it had shut off. The DS pump continued to pump additional fuel until the tank was full.

I only have a single 100 gallon tank that I try and fill when it is half full so filling from one hi-flow pump only takes a few minutes.

The satellite pumps are really for the OTR trucks with saddle tanks on each that are at a minimum 100 gallons each.
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:28 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I've tried it once because it seem to be flowing slowly though in the end it just wasn't worth not being there if for some reason one of the dispensing nozzle auto-shutoff didn't work and I happen to be on the other side. What makes it nice in some situations I found myself was I pulled in to find out one pump wasn't working so I switched to the other side which was. Does have it's advantages.
dmctlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:40 PM   #6

A Person did that at Costco and was called an 'Inconsiderate RVr' by some (so far 11 pages of responses)

I thought it was efficient way to fill up

Truckers do it...but they have Big fill openings and can handle the high flow rates

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/inc...er-554334.html
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:52 PM   #7

I do it all the time (not a tiffin). On mine each side has a tank. They will equalize but it takes over an hour, so I always look for truck stops and use the truck pumps so I can do both at the same time.
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
A Person did that at Costco and was called an 'Inconsiderate RVr' by some (so far 11 pages of responses)

I thought it was efficient way to fill up

Truckers do it...but they have Big fill openings and can handle the high flow rates

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/inc...er-554334.html
Apples and oranges. Truck stops are built to refuel a vehicle from both sides. Costco isn't without taking up another lane.

I have never tried to use both pumps. One has been quick enough for me with a 100 gallon tank.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:01 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I do it all the time. 2020 Bus. You just have to shut the PS one off before the DS since it sits lower. Chance of an overflow if you don't do this. Really speeds up the process!!
frogpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:19 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by netjam View Post
I do it all the time (not a tiffin). On mine each side has a tank. They will equalize but it takes over an hour, so I always look for truck stops and use the truck pumps so I can do both at the same time.
Same here before I traded for my current gas coach. Had tanks on each side that would equalize, but very slowly, so I would just fill both sides at truck stops. Easy and convenient.
Thanks,
wog099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 03:38 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I have done it, but at 25 gallons/minute, it is more of a hassle that its worth monitoring both nozzles. I just fill on the driver's side and it generally takes 3 minutes or less.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:41 PM   #12

I don’t think there is a lot of advantages to it. The reason for the slave pumps are because a lot of trucks have separate tanks on both side and that is the only way they can fill them. The dual fuel option on an RV is a convenience item in the even you can’t get to the pump on the driver side. I don’t believe they were meant to be filled from both sides at the same time.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:55 PM   #13

Mine 100g tank is filled so fast from the high volume truck fill, I can't imaging the need
gdhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 05:26 PM   #14

I usually like to quote my sources but memory fails,,, I just read, probably from the owner’s manual, that you should not do that. Having said that, I was just at a Petro and the pump was slow as molasses. I wish I had thought about using my pass side, too.
Vamos A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel