Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2020, 11:52 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Future purchase Tiffin, Newmar, Prevost.

Thought is to buy new or used keeping the cost to about $400,000.
Within the next two years I owne a 38.6 ft fifth wheel which was great for the time with the grandkids. I just purchased fall of 2019 a used 1993 38ft tiffin allegro bay class A dp Cummins with 80,000. Miles, for those who are basically full time would you rather fix an older unit or spend big bucks on a unit that would be parked next to all years makes and models knowing that repairs from weather related or just basic mishaps can happen. I understand buy what you can afford. But if you have spent lots of cash do you look back or over the fence at a older RV and think I'd be just as happy in that.
With that said my wants would be room to move from front to back with slides closed king size bed.
Diesel pusher enough power to go through the mountains but I don't need to win any races. big
Fresh water and holding tanks as well so it's set up to enjoy all this boondocking like I've read about at or around the quartzite places. I'm not looking for arguments on who's unit is better just a few ideas on what is great to have and used alot maybe heated floors. Maybe to keep things simple if it's possible to just see your pictures of your RV and possibly put a few likes and dislikes.
I'm thinking to pull the trigger asap so hopefully as long as our health is decent we can get 10 years of travel from the coach and one more question do you run into places that have Denied
You access because of the age of your RV or is it more based on condition.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2020, 04:47 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icamp2TT View Post
Thought is to buy new or used keeping the cost to about $400,000.
Within the next two years I owne a 38.6 ft fifth wheel which was great for the time with the grandkids. I just purchased fall of 2019 a used 1993 38ft tiffin allegro bay class A dp Cummins with 80,000. Miles, for those who are basically full time would you rather fix an older unit or spend big bucks on a unit that would be parked next to all years makes and models knowing that repairs from weather related or just basic mishaps can happen. I understand buy what you can afford. But if you have spent lots of cash do you look back or over the fence at a older RV and think I'd be just as happy in that.
With that said my wants would be room to move from front to back with slides closed king size bed.
Diesel pusher enough power to go through the mountains but I don't need to win any races. big
Fresh water and holding tanks as well so it's set up to enjoy all this boondocking like I've read about at or around the quartzite places. I'm not looking for arguments on who's unit is better just a few ideas on what is great to have and used alot maybe heated floors. Maybe to keep things simple if it's possible to just see your pictures of your RV and possibly put a few likes and dislikes.
I'm thinking to pull the trigger asap so hopefully as long as our health is decent we can get 10 years of travel from the coach and one more question do you run into places that have Denied
You access because of the age of your RV or is it more based on condition.
You should be able to score something REALLY nice for $400, especially if it's 2-4 yrs old. Many here will tell you to not buy new. There may be quite a few fixes you're gonna have to make on a brand new Moho, unless you know exactly what to look for and where to look with your pre inspection ck list in hand. If you get something 2 yrs old at least, chances are the previous owner will have take care of most if not all things (head aches, lol).
Now as far as a prevost is concerned (over 1 Mill new), I mean for $400K you're looking at a well, not so knew prevost, it's definitely gonna be over 13 yrs old. I mean you're spending 400K, You sure you want something that old? If you don't mind something a little old but not really old (I know it's subjective) with close to Prevost type luxury look at NewMar King Air (top of their line), you can get 2013's and 2014's in your price range. Not to mention the Essex, man heads turn when that rig comes into CGs, you can get that $860K (new) rig for around 400k in a 2016 and 2017 model yr. However: Used (but still with low miles.)
There are so many 2019 YR end models NEW that you can by for that $$. Like the Dutch Star, Nice Rig the 2020's cost 510K but you can get a yr end model for around 344K. If you are Lucky you can get the next Line above Dutch star, a Mountain Aire for 409K. From Tiffin I love the zephyr but you're not gonna get that for 400K new. a great yr end 2019 model is the Tiffin Allegro BUS, one of my favs. You can get those for 380K.
Anyway, just do your home work. Good luck
RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:00 PM   #3

Think you need to look at a $400000 Prevost and check out its construction and quality, then look at Tiffin and Newmar. This should ease your decision making.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:04 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks I was in a new allegro bus Friday and I believe that price tag was just under $400 k
I didn't drive it just walked in it with the slides closed I found it kinda cramped with the slides in I guess there will be times when I will need to pull over to sleep and won't beable to open the slides. But it would only be temporary stops. Everything breaks new or old I found I like new vehicle warranty's I'm probably slowly talking myself into a new one thank you for the friendly advice.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:31 PM   #5

Definitely no contest. If you have $400,000 to spend, go for a 8 to 10 year old Prevost coach. The quality will be far better than anything being built today for that amount of money.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:45 PM   #6

2005 Prevost Marathon XLIIDouble Slide

DD Series 60 engine, pre emissions, one of the most reliable diesels ever made.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:54 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icamp2TT View Post
Thanks I was in a new allegro bus Friday and I believe that price tag was just under $400 k
I didn't drive it just walked in it with the slides closed I found it kinda cramped with the slides in I guess there will be times when I will need to pull over to sleep and won't beable to open the slides. But it would only be temporary stops. Everything breaks new or old I found I like new vehicle warranty's I'm probably slowly talking myself into a new one thank you for the friendly advice.
Hmm, yeah good points. Me I wouldn't put too much stock into whether it's cramped when the slides are closed. But again that's just me, I have 2 front couches that are pretty comfy if we should have to pull over. To each there own though. So Coaches that are 2-4 yrs old have original warranties or you can easily get extended warranties. Just sayin'.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:58 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Definitely no contest. If you have $400,000 to spend, go for a 8 to 10 year old Prevost coach. The quality will be far better than anything being built today for that amount of money.
You're not gonna get a 2010 Prevost for 400K. More like 13 or 14 yr old one. But yeah, if by some miracle one could find a 8-10 yr old Prevost for 400k, man, snatch it up.

Tags
newmar, purchase, tiffin