Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2022, 05:22 PM   #1

FYI for Allegro red owners

We are in Lubbock and last night I used electric space heaters due to it being 19 degrees outside and didn't want to sleep with gas furnace on.
Used fireplace as well. Woke to no 120 volt power on any receptacles and frig and microwave dead. I checked every breaker and the power supply pedestal. All ok.
Called Tiffin. Found that there is a tiny pop-out breaker on the side of the inverter located underneath in storage bay. It had tripped. It is a 30 amp breaker.
Thought I was smart enough to find all breakers, but this one eluded me. Hope this helps you out, because it was getting me riled up!
Treetopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2022, 05:53 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
That's a common problem and happens all the time. It's easy to overload the inverter circuits with space heaters, hair dryers, deep fryers, etc. If you can locate an outlet that doesn't go through the inverter you would be able to run a second heater. The fireplace doesn't go through the inverter, so that wasn't your problem.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
That's a common problem and happens all the time. It's easy to overload the inverter circuits with space heaters, hair dryers, deep fryers, etc. If you can locate an outlet that doesn't go through the inverter you would be able to run a second heater. The fireplace doesn't go through the inverter, so that wasn't your problem.
Thanks, Couldn't find any other receptical that was powered when the breaker popped. My old coach had curb side and street side plugs on different circuits, but I didn't have a built-in inverter either.
I also put a small heater in the water compartment to keep the lines from freezing. I don't see that any heat is directed to the wet bay from the furnace.
The hot water loop I installed runs the pump routinely to keep the hot water lines warm, so I wasn't worried about that.
Old 01-03-2022, 06:17 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I also found it important to keep both legs of the 50 amp power balanced. Had too much on one leg and it tripped the Power Watchdog during the night... made for a cold morning. The Power Watchdog app is really handy to see the load on each leg and keep it balanced.
Laserchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 10:08 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetopguy View Post
I also put a small heater in the water compartment to keep the lines from freezing. I don't see that any heat is directed to the wet bay from the furnace.
Your wet bay is heated by your rear furnace, if you have two or the front furnace if you only have one.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:32 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
First night of ownership of our 40 ft Bus lost all power, took it back to the dealer and they showed me why, yep that inverter tripped. Didn't know about that till then and now am more aware of loads on the various circuits.

Quote:
We are in Lubbock and last night I used electric space heaters due to it being 19 degrees outside and didn't want to sleep with gas furnace on.
Used fireplace as well. Woke to no 120 volt power on any receptacles and frig and microwave dead. I checked every breaker and the power supply pedestal. All ok.
Called Tiffin. Found that there is a tiny pop-out breaker on the side of the inverter located underneath in storage bay. It had tripped. It is a 30 amp breaker.
Thought I was smart enough to find all breakers, but this one eluded me. Hope this helps you out, because it was getting me riled up!
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Your wet bay is heated by your rear furnace, if you have two or the front furnace if you only have one.
ok. Next time I need to protect it I'll monitor. I use a temp stick to monitor it. Works great.
Would you know where the heat is entering the wet bay? I can't find it anywhere.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:14 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
ok. Next time I need to protect it I'll monitor. I use a temp stick to monitor it. Works great.
Would you know where the heat is entering the wet bay? I can't find it anywhere.
Usually there is just a heater duct hanging down into the wet bay from the top. I can't see mine at all but I know it's there by monitoring the temps when the rear furnace is on.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:00 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
When you get into electric appliances like heaters, crockpots, etc. you have to be careful as you found out. Best thing to do is plug your space heater and/or tank heater directly into the 30 amp plug at the RV park and run an extension cord into your bus. That avoids all amperage competition with your bus systems.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 06:59 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
You must use your propane heater to keep the wet bay above freezing. It is much safer than running a bunch of electric heaters. As you discovered they can pop breakers when they all turn on at once. Electric heaters also can overload a socket which can be quite dangerous. We don’t use electric heaters when we are away or at night.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:08 PM   #11

Had the same problem with my Holiday Rambler with aftermarket Inverter install.
I added 120V electrical outlet with itís own 15A breaker. Now my electric space heater is not on the inverter outlet.
DW can also use this outlet for her hair blower when she makes herself pretty !
Pol6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:02 PM   #12
Fio

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
You must use your propane heater to keep the wet bay above freezing. It is much safer than running a bunch of electric heaters. As you discovered they can pop breakers when they all turn on at once. Electric heaters also can overload a socket which can be quite dangerous. We donít use electric heaters when we are away or at night.
I don't have a diesel coach but when I ran the propane furnace, the tank went nearly empty in two days and it wasn't extremely cold. Maybe in the 30's-40's. I was shocked how quickly it used the propane. Then I saw the front temp sensor was in the ceiling just behind the driver/passenger seats where its cold due to windshield and entry door. After that first time, I set a small space heater on the counter closest to the sensor to keep the furnace from running constantly. In the future I was planning on utilizing space heater and the fireplace with another 400 watt space heater in the wet bay. I guess I have to rethink this???

How long should a tank of propane last utilizing the furnace in say 35 degree temps?
Old 01-18-2022, 08:28 PM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fio View Post
I don't have a diesel coach but when I ran the propane furnace, the tank went nearly empty in two days and it wasn't extremely cold. Maybe in the 30's-40's. I was shocked how quickly it used the propane. Then I saw the front temp sensor was in the ceiling just behind the driver/passenger seats where its cold due to windshield and entry door. After that first time, I set a small space heater on the counter closest to the sensor to keep the furnace from running constantly. In the future I was planning on utilizing space heater and the fireplace with another 400 watt space heater in the wet bay. I guess I have to rethink this???

How long should a tank of propane last utilizing the furnace in say 35 degree temps?
Depends on the quality of build and if the RV is a true 4 season or just a weekender/ 2 or 3 season RV. and the size of the RV & number of slide outs..
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:37 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
How long wil a tank of propane last? I looked this up once on the internet and easily found the BTU's per pound of propane; and you can find the BTU's your particular furnace burns and the size of your tank by looking at the unit, tank, or documents. Beyond that it is a crapshoot, lots of variables in your coach, actual temps, insulation and leaks, your temperature setting. We carry a small (11lb) tank for grill, camp light, etc. Might be a good idea for you to have as a spare if you can connect it easily. Most rigs are built for light weight and summer.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allegro