Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2021, 03:29 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Garmin RV 1090 GPS Navigator

Has anyone purchased and mounted this 10” GPS unit? If so, where and how did you mount it? I’m tempted to upgrade but this thing is huge!
My current Garmin RV 770 is suction cupped to the dash, line of sight, right above the steering wheel. A 10” GPS in this location would block too much of the windshield. Thoughts or suggestions on location/mounting options? Pictures would help too.

, and safe travels.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2021, 08:55 PM   #2
PKI

Should have purchased the 890

We will also have to figure out where to mount the unit. It will be a backup to the integrated dash GPS, so primary user will be the Navigator. That should give us more options, but we do need to figure out a flexible mounting location that provides an unobstructed view of the mirrors, entry and exit through the door and of course, full view and use by the navigator. Going to be interesting. Hope they start showing up at S&B sales locations for inspection.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:39 AM   #3

Just my opinion, but a 10" GPS is just too big. There's just no place to put so you can easily view it and not have it blocking other things you need. Possibly the DW could hold if for you if you don't mind cranking your head to the right to see it instead of watching the road.
I use my Garmin, with my own custom mount on the dash, as my primary. Sometimes have the in radio GPS on, but it never gets updated. Garman always has updates, all my saved locations, and it goes in the toad, and all the vehicles I drive. Personally, I feel the built-in GPS is a waste and not convenient to see. My Garmin is right up in line-of-site of the road and easy to reach to adjust.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:34 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
The only reason a larger GPS is needed is if it going to be mounted far from you and you would have trouble seeing a smaller screen. I have the 770 and it in is dash mounted. It does what I need it to. The voice instructions are what is meaningful not looking at the screen. I believe that you are either focused on the road or the GPS screen. I'll stay focused on the road.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:21 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I have the Garmin 890 model and it is mounted on the windshield but about the dash. Works great for me in that location.

I guess bigger could be better, but the 8 inch is good enough for me
kmeinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 04:11 PM   #6

If you have it mounted on the windshield, how do you reach it to put in your settings?
Old 01-16-2021, 04:23 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I just put in the destination before I leave. If I need to adjust anything, reroute, etc, my wife dismounts it (held magnetically) and makes any changes
kmeinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:54 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Bus GPS on TV

I discovered that Tiffin connected my dash GPS to the overhead TV. So before we leave (usually after I program the GPS for our trip and set AV out to NAVIGATION), I turn ON the TV and set it to AV in. Poof... I now have a 40" GPS. This is easy to glance at for old eyes and I have the discipline to not let it distract me. The DW also has a great view of out trip.

My friend has an "Open Road" and I think he lacks the cable. But I think it would be an easy add on.
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:08 AM   #9

I have the Garmin 780 and just mount it to the side window within easy reach.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:00 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
Just my opinion, but a 10" GPS is just too big. There's just no place to put so you can easily view it and not have it blocking other things you need. Possibly the DW could hold if for you if you don't mind cranking your head to the right to see it instead of watching the road.
I use my Garmin, with my own custom mount on the dash, as my primary. Sometimes have the in radio GPS on, but it never gets updated. Garman always has updates, all my saved locations, and it goes in the toad, and all the vehicles I drive. Personally, I feel the built-in GPS is a waste and not convenient to see. My Garmin is right up in line-of-site of the road and easy to reach to adjust.

I have the Kenwood DNX775RVS, but the integrated GPS is actually Garmin. It is an easy process to update. Just need an SD card (and a credit card :( . Truth being told, I prefer to do what you are doing, so I want to purchase a portable Garmin so we can take it in our toad as well.
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:16 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just received my Garmin 1090 yesterday and think it will be an improvement over my 7 inch Garmin. It is too large to mount above the dash where the old one was but on my dash there’s a little gulley like area next to the instrument cluster.

I screwed a couple pieces of 2x4 together, painted them black and used the screw down mount that comes with the 1090. I just set it down in the gulley and now it sits just to the left of the speedometer and a little higher up. The weight of the 2x4s and some Velcro hold it steady.

My main reason was to better see the “what lane to be in” part of the screen when coming to interstate interchanges. The magnetic mount is pretty slick also.

We’ll see how it works but from just playing with it some it does have a lot of nice new features compared to my 6 year old unit.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:12 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Update on our new 1090 GPS - Just tried it out on a local camping trip and am very happy I upgraded to the larger screen. Its brighter and so much easier to see at a quick glance. Took a little creative designing to get it where I wanted but where it sits now is perfect. Just on the right edge of my dash and sits a little higher than it. Doesn't block any view of the road.

Next trip is to the Keys thru Atlanta. Hopefully it and reviewing google maps ahead of time will get me there safely lol!
Old 04-24-2021, 09:45 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
So it's funny I was a similar post except that one had the same questions for an 890. My tiffin does have the Garmin built into the Kenwood receiver which I just updated but it's location doesn't make it easier for the DW to look at and advise me if there's a lot of traffic and I need to keep my eyes on the road. It doesn't transfer to the overhead TV and I've thought of trying to wire it up to it but it seems a lot of work to do it. I have a RV660 but it is constantly having satellite and other issues. So I've been debating whether I should pick up a 890 or 1090 and though I've read the write ups on them and was wondering other than the 10" screen what made you go with the 1090 and not the 890? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210305_115217.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	326141  
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:13 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I got it for the size. It is sooo much easier to look at it quickly and get the information I need without having to stop and stare for a couple seconds.

Its a huge upgrade from my 7 inch. It was expensive but in my mind worth it. I paid $699 for mine but I just saw an email that Techno RV.com has it on sale for $599. I'm still happy with what I paid for what I consider a little more peace of mind while trying to keep the house on wheels between the lines

No I am not a paid reviewer or work for Garmin or Techno RV just a happy customer.

I just wish now that Scan Gauge would make a little bigger screen.

Tags
gps