Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2022, 04:49 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Gen fuel consumption

I’ve almost always ran my generator while traveling. We’re usually traveling in summer or warm locations in winter so I run the A/C. I have a 10k Onan Gen. My rig usually gets between 6-7 MPG. Yesterday I ran about 400 miles without the Gen running I used a significantly less amount of fuel. I’ve always assumed the Gen used about a gallon per hour of fuel. Does anyone know the actual consumption rate ?

Thanks

2010 Allegro Bus 43QRP
glsponchos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2022, 05:06 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I have heard 1/2 gal per hour quoted a lot but I don’t know how that figure was arrived at.

I suppose the electrical load (how many ACs) would affect the consumption so I’m not sure one guy’s data would jive with another.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:26 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Per the user manualClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221005-092541_Dropbox.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	377975

Sent from my SM-G973U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 10-05-2022, 08:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The manual on your particular model generator will tell you the normal 1/2 and full load consumption rates.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:54 AM   #5

If it took 8 hours to travel 400 miles, the generator would have probably used 4-6 gallons of fuel over that time period.

Other factor to consider are:
Driving speed
Headwind/tailwind
Fuel blend, B-20 v #2
When the pump shut off on the before and after fill ups
Topping off the tank on either fill up

Approximately what amount of fuel was “significantly less” on your recent trip where you did not run the generator?
IAlreadyGot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 09:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsponchos View Post
I’ve almost always ran my generator while traveling. We’re usually traveling in summer or warm locations in winter so I run the A/C. I have a 10k Onan Gen. My rig usually gets between 6-7 MPG. Yesterday I ran about 400 miles without the Gen running I used a significantly less amount of fuel. I’ve always assumed the Gen used about a gallon per hour of fuel. Does anyone know the actual consumption rate ?

Thanks
We use our generator very frequently and run 1 or 2 (15K BTU) A/C units and notice very little change in MPG, even on long trips.

Ours is newer than yours is so it may be different but according to the manual it burns in Gallons Per Hour:

No Load: .33
Half Load: .54
Full Load: .78

Hope this helps!
Sam
Old 10-05-2022, 11:14 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I've calculated the difference in mileage with and without the 10kw generator running. What I came up with is an average of 0.9gph running. That's figured over 49,000 miles of driving and over 600 hours on the gen. I plug that into a spreadsheet that calculates MPG between fillups with the number of hours the generator runs. It comes out almost exactly the same as when running between fillups without the generator.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 12:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I've calculated the difference in mileage with and without the 10kw generator running. What I came up with is an average of 0.9gph running. That's figured over 49,000 miles of driving and over 600 hours on the gen. I plug that into a spreadsheet that calculates MPG between fillups with the number of hours the generator runs. It comes out almost exactly the same as when running between fillups without the generator.
WOW! I too notice little, to now difference but your method is much more scientific.

Sam
Old 10-05-2022, 03:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I bet if you plugged in 0.6gph you’d get “almost exactly the same...” as well.

A difference of 0.3 gallons per hour when you’re burning 8-9gph just to move the coach is almost statistically insignificant.
IAlreadyGot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 06:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAlreadyGot1 View Post
I bet if you plugged in 0.6gph you’d get “almost exactly the same...” as well.

A difference of 0.3 gallons per hour when you’re burning 8-9gph just to move the coach is almost statistically insignificant.
Exactly. So as an example, let's say you normally get 6mpg at 60mph and the genny uses .6gph just to make the math easy. In an hour you'll go 60 miles and burn 10 gallons of diesel in the engine, and another .6 gallons in the genny. 10.6/10=1.06, or a 6% difference in fuel consumption. So you'd burn 6.36 gallons of diesel instead of 6. More realistically it's probably less for most because even *we* go faster than 60 and we normally see about 7.5 mpg.

This ignores what happens if you're running the cab air to stay cool instead of the genny plus the roof air. I have no fuel consumption data handy for the engine-driven AC compressor, but it definitely takes more fuel to use it than not to use it, and the 80' round trip for its refrigerant does not improve its efficiency.

This is almost a rounding error IMO. Wind is likely a bigger variable most of the time.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 06:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
Exactly. So as an example, let's say you normally get 6mpg at 60mph and the genny uses .6gph just to make the math easy. In an hour you'll go 60 miles and burn 10 gallons of diesel in the engine, and another .6 gallons in the genny. 10.6/10=1.06, or a 6% difference in fuel consumption. So you'd burn 6.36 gallons of diesel instead of 6. More realistically it's probably less for most because even *we* go faster than 60 and we normally see about 7.5 mpg.

This ignores what happens if you're running the cab air to stay cool instead of the genny plus the roof air. I have no fuel consumption data handy for the engine-driven AC compressor, but it definitely takes more fuel to use it than not to use it, and the 80' round trip for its refrigerant does not improve its efficiency.

This is almost a rounding error IMO. Wind is likely a bigger variable most of the time.
Agree; a strong head wind and/or stop and go traffic are much more detrimental to fuel mileage. However, I'm impressed Lt Dan took such a scientific approach.

Sam
Old 10-05-2022, 07:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamKVA View Post
Agree; a strong head wind and/or stop and go traffic are much more detrimental to fuel mileage. However, I'm impressed Lt Dan took such a scientific approach.

Sam
Just to be clear...in no way was I attempting to disagree with what Dan posted.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 05:48 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for everyone’s feedback Will have to study this more. Obviously one data point is not enough Thanks

2010 Allegro Bus 43QRP
glsponchos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel