Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2022, 08:34 PM   #127

Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds more like a Freightliner issue.

Nick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2022, 02:40 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler of california View Post
Sounds more like a Freightliner issue.

Nick
Maybe Cummins. But definitely not a Freightliner. Most of the other issues with the drivetrain were Tiffin related, as the coach sits on a Powerglide Chassis.

Couple of Cummins issues, but mostly Tiffin :

Leaking Radiator and Trans cooler, under warranty.
Ball Joint was never lubricated by manufacturer, also under warranty.
The Ubiquitous DEF Header.
Defective Belt tensioner and belt replaced under Cummins warranty.
CEL for Injector, also covered under Cummins warranty.

CEL for Injector is the code it threw on the new Owners way home. It had supposedly been addressed when it had the full Cummins service, last fall. Same Injector #.
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 05:28 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlfine View Post
On a whim, I climbed the ladder and crawled long the top of our 3 mo old 32 SA, and was shocked at what I saw (see attached images).

Per Lt Kaffee (A Few Good Men): And the hits just keep on coming

We took the coach to Blue Moon RV in Dallas TX to inspect and advise. After a close look, they said the Tiffin roof is very solid, made of fiberglass, and while the finish workmanship by Tiffin was very sloppy (incomplete top coat, lots of overspray, and non-existent hard line on the paint accent) the roof was structurally intact and no risk of leaks or water damage.

This is a brand new motorhome - but I accept some responsibility for not hiring an independent RV Inspector to go over the unit with a fine tooth comb before taking delivery - lessons learned, I guess.

Blue Moon will refinish the roof for three grand or so (tape, paint, and clear coat).

With previously mentioned catalytic converter issue, slide out issue, and now this, the 2022 32 SA is becoming a very expensive pain in the xxxxx.

Seems I am getting old too darn quick and getting smart too darn late.
Yep, we had a 31 point punch list when we arrived at the dealership we purchased from (500 mile drive from home) and had to end up leaving it for another month. After which they sent us a message with our punch list and what they found with each point, and what they did to address it. Signed off by service manager, ready for us to pick up. So we made the 500 mile drive a second time, only to find that over half of the list of items hadn’t been completed at all. One item, just as an example, was that the cooktop was crooked, had been dropped while in the box, dented, but the manufacturer installed it anyway. Even though this was checked off by the tech as having been replaced, and certified so by the service manager, the old dented range was still in there. There was lots of problems like that. In disgust we just took the unit and left, and called Bob Tiffan who told us to bring it to him and he’d do everything, and it would be right…

So we did that. Made the drive all the way to Red Bay Alabama and dropped it off. After 3 months and constantly badgering them, they said it was ready. So we made the drive back, only to discover that in fact it was not completed…..😡

Bob Tiffan leveled with us and said Covid had screamed up everything, they couldn’t get and keep help, they were overwhelmed with warranty work, and this is what led to his final decision to sell out. I’m sure everyone knows by now that it’s owned by Thor……🤷*♂️😡

After leaving it for another month, and more continual phone calls to make sure they were staying on top of it, we finally got it back. Just shy of 5 full months with it setting at their Red Bay facility….

But then everything is screwed up in America sense the age of Covid……
Montecresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 04:23 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationer04 View Post
When you bought a Thor product what did you expect? It isn't Tiffin anymore, just the name but not the quality. The Tiffin family should feel real proud of how they let their company deteriorate after letting Thor get control.
Tiffin workmanship was on a downhill slide, at least going back to 2017. Before the sale to THOR and before COVID.

Tiffin was increasing volumes back in 2017 and the volume increase wasn't addressed in a way that would maintain whatever workmanship level people perceived to exist. It would seem that Tiffin has never recovered from the lack of proactive management.

I don't discount the difficulties of managing a business that is trying to address increased demand while attempting to manage supply chain and staffing issues.

However, shipping increased volumes for increased costs with significantly degraded workmanship, doesn't make for satisfied customers. But that vicious cycle started long before COVID or Thor.
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 05:56 AM   #131

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by MevetS View Post
Tiffin workmanship was on a downhill slide, at least going back to 2017. Before the sale to THOR and before COVID.

Tiffin was increasing volumes back in 2017 and the volume increase wasn't addressed in a way that would maintain whatever workmanship level people perceived to exist. It would seem that Tiffin has never recovered from the lack of proactive management.

I don't discount the difficulties of managing a business that is trying to address increased demand while attempting to manage supply chain and staffing issues.

However, shipping increased volumes for increased costs with significantly degraded workmanship, doesn't make for satisfied customers. But that vicious cycle started long before COVID or Thor.
You know you hit the nail on the head these quality issues existed before Covid though its got worse since then of course you didn't correct it before why would you think it got any better now you putting out more RVs. It make sense it got worse as the RV industry is putting out more and didn't allot enough time to not onky have time to inspect them for properly for problems but to fix them. We had a brand new 2018 FR Class A 31L5 with lots of problems in 2017 when we bought it. During our back and firth with the dealer fixing slide issues and many other ones we came across the QA inspect sheet which showed the exact same issues we were having and they were signed off as being repaired. What a joke thus was before the Covid, too. Took several years and moving it up the ranks of the class A division manager before fixed. So is it worse years because they're pushing out more units , needing more help and probably training them less allowing them less then allowing them less time to build inspect and repair. And for what, more profit. The covid has slowed them down moreso because less parts available so they substitute or just put don't do some of the work. Only way you control quality is management buys into it and allows time for the work to be done and oversight to assure its done even if it takes longer. I doubt you'll see that as a whole in the RV industry until their mindset us changed like the car industry was back in the 70s 80s & 90s.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 05:41 PM   #132

When you go to the Red Bay Alabama Tiffin Facility, you find that it’s massive and growing. The operation is spread out across the small town, it’s not consolidated, and driving around town, it looks obvious that anytime a lot or two goes up for sale, Tiffin buys it and creates yet another little RV park where they put people and their RV’s while they are waiting for their number to be called. By the number, there was several hundred coaches in front of ours and we just dropped ours off, not being retired, we couldn’t set around for weeks awaiting warranty work. We were told it would be 6 weeks before ours was ever even pulled into a bay to be looked at. In the end, it was there a few months when they called and said it was done and when we traveled back to retrieve it, we found several things still wrong with it, and they had it yet another month beyond that…..

It’s a mad house in Red Bay and the employees are extremely stressed about it all, and I had more than one Tiffan employee tell me that Tiffan is ruined, that they’ve done it to themselves…..Many long time Tiffan employees have quit or retired in disgust and I’m satisfied that this is why Bob sold out to Thor….
Montecresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 06:47 PM   #133

Tiffin’s method of doing service work has got to change to a system of appointments as most service centers do. With the poor quality of their manufacturing for the last few years there are way to many coaches needing repairs and it makes no sense to sit in their lot for weeks just to have access to their service. We spent two weeks of vacation in 2019 to have a small list of items repaired of which about half were done correctly. Tiffin’s recent build quality does not warrant their price break let alone siting for weeks for service or leaving the coach for months to have warranty work done.

The only bright thing about having work done at Tiffin is parts availability
KenJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 10:01 AM   #134

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJr View Post
Tiffin’s method of doing service work has got to change to a system of appointments as most service centers do. With the poor quality of their manufacturing for the last few years there are way to many coaches needing repairs and it makes no sense to sit in their lot for weeks just to have access to their service. We spent two weeks of vacation in 2019 to have a small list of items repaired of which about half were done correctly. Tiffin’s recent build quality does not warrant their price break let alone siting for weeks for service or leaving the coach for months to have warranty work done.

The only bright thing about having work done at Tiffin is parts availability
You also hit the nail on the head.. Our coach was pick up by Tiffin at the dealership and driven 1400 miles back to Tiffin for repairs and return with only half of the list complete. My DW had to call Tiffin, PO'ed before they told us to bring the coach back and they would extend the warranty another year. We drove the coach the 1400 miles back last September (That's 1400 miles each direction) to only sit in their service center for two and half weeks before they even started any work. Now that may be OK if your not working (Retired) or can work from the road but for the rest of us, That meant burning vacation that we could have used being some were enjoying our purchase.. After 4 weeks they did complete the punch list but that meant, I had to come right back home to go back to work and the coach got to sit.. I believe that Tiffin's direct competitor handles warranty work a whole lot better with the appointment system.. IMHO... When we where there in September, RB was packed everywhere with coaches needing repairs. The real bad part is everything was closed due to C-19 including the Tiffin tours.. It made for a very long stay...
HerbieHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 07:30 AM   #135

Welcome aboard friend. I have found it has only taken me 73 yrs to realize what my parent taught me about trusting and believing in a mans word is quite foolish. Its America and the land of the greedy giants. Sorry, just wanted to let you know your not the only fish in the pond. Im driving one. But things are looking up!!!!!!!
tom3855wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 07:29 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Then never buy a motorhome.

There is the existing world and a different reality we wish existed. Trouble is that world doesn’t exist at any price level. As long as manufacturers can sell out their products as they currently build them there is no market for better quality than already exists.

You can post a rant on any forum you wish, but in today’s world you have to play by today’s rules. And that requires buyers to get real and loose the “it’s a car” thinking.

Wish it were different all you want… It’s not.

“If wishes were horses we’d all ride.”
Exactly why after 11+ years of various motorhomes I'm now going to move to a travel trailer in a couple of years. Less financial exposure to a hobby/lifestyle that is not worth the money I put into it. I can stomach the QC issues I'm bound to get much easier if the rig is 25% (or with you Tiffin/Newmar folks probably 15%) of the cost a more expensive motorhome.

Currently without travel trailer
Sbad0cko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality, tiffin