Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2022, 11:49 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Then never buy a motorhome.

There is the existing world and a different reality we wish existed. Trouble is that world doesn’t exist at any price level. As long as manufacturers can sell out their products as they currently build them there is no market for better quality than already exists.

You can post a rant on any forum you wish, but in today’s world you have to play by today’s rules. And that requires buyers to get real and loose the “it’s a car” thinking.

Wish it were different all you want… It’s not.

“If wishes were horses we’d all ride.”
This is true... if one company were to lead the way, by building a cheaper, quality product (like the Japanese did with autos), then the rest might be forced to follow.
kandcbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2022, 01:54 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandcbend View Post
This is true... if one company were to lead the way, by building a cheaper, quality product (like the Japanese did with autos), then the rest might be forced to follow.
Exactly !!!
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 04:35 PM   #31

Here's a post I did about 18 months after purchasing new.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/tif...hs-468950.html

I'm happy to say that things settled down and the last year and a half has seen only a few maintenance issues which I take care of myself. I'm a lot more familiar with the coach now so troubleshooting and repairs go quicker. This after 4 years and 20k miles. The F53 chassis has literally been flawless. The coach interior has held up really well.

Normal maintenance items performed since that write up were:
  • Replaced the solenoid on the hydraulic pump myself
  • Replaced the stair motor/gear box assy myself
  • Replaced the OEM shocks with Koni's at the shop

Also, I haven't hit anything in 2 years so there's that.

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 05:11 PM   #32

Quote:
I fully agree, to a point. Certain items I've found though are just sloppy and unacceptable; just one example... there are small circuit boards and electronics modules just dangling from a totally sloppy mass of wires inside the dash. This is not a wire harness that was designed to last, but rather a recipe for failure.

I owned three travel trailers before purchasing this class A motorhome. Two of those were of similar poor quality. The travel trailer from Lance was different - it was designed and manufactured as I would expect. My expectations for this Class A motorhome were a bit higher. Now, I might be a bit jaded after being stranded twice (Ford, not Tiffin). I'm fairly handy, DIY type, trained in electronics, work many years as a manufacturing and mechanical engineer. I don't mind fixing small things, but I just can't imagine how someone without these skills could live with these issues.

I can’t imagine how someone that isn’t mechanically/electrically inclined could afford a class a motorhome the way they are produced. I wonder how much time would be spent traveling and not in repair shops.
KenJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 09:04 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJr View Post
I can’t imagine how someone that isn’t mechanically/electrically inclined could afford a class a motorhome the way they are produced. I wonder how much time would be spent traveling and not in repair shops.
I've had my Tiffin coach one year now. I've fixed some stuff myself and didn't mind a bit! The Schwintek slide recently failed, so it went to Red bay. Lippert does not want to acknowledge that their slide mechanism is garbage on a large slide. Tiffin is now using Hydraulics on large slides. They replaced mine with a Vroom system. This wasn't Tiffin's fault, but a vendor that insisted their product would work. I'm sure there are some business dealings, contracts, etc. involved, But Tiffin did me right by stepping out and working with a different vendor to get mine fixed. It's too bad Vroom can't produce enough units to have Tiffin use them exclusively in place of schwintek.
Anyway, my expectations were exceeded by Tiffin's commitment to me as an owner.

Sent from my SM-G950U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Treetopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 05:34 AM   #34

General Tiffin Quality (or lack thereof)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetopguy View Post
I've had my Tiffin coach one year now. I've fixed some stuff myself and didn't mind a bit! The Schwintek slide recently failed, so it went to Red bay. Lippert does not want to acknowledge that their slide mechanism is garbage on a large slide. Tiffin is now using Hydraulics on large slides. They replaced mine with a Vroom system. This wasn't Tiffin's fault, but a vendor that insisted their product would work. I'm sure there are some business dealings, contracts, etc. involved, But Tiffin did me right by stepping out and working with a different vendor to get mine fixed. It's too bad Vroom can't produce enough units to have Tiffin use them exclusively in place of schwintek.
Anyway, my expectations were exceeded by Tiffin's commitment to me as an owner.

Actually it is Tiffin’s fault. I’d think Tiffin would test for themselves before putting a mechanical system into 100s of motorhomes based on a suppliers “insistence that their product would work”. Might be time to hire some engineers.
I don’t think Tiffin is any worse than any other manufacturer, I just expected better at their price point.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:10 AM   #35

Quote:
I just expected better at their price point.
Exactly, exactly, exactly.
rlfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:09 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlfine View Post
Tiffin charges a premium for brand name and and their tag line is rather explicit: "Featuring luxurious design, innovative technologies, quality construction". Tiffin's responsibility is to either deliver or dial back their promises a bit.
That's it in a nutshell!

When a company touts itself in this manner, the customer has every right to expect what they receive to be flawless in every regard.

Clearly this doesn't happen. They seem to be designed to look exceptional, but not to actually perform exceptionally. The design and engineering don't seem to take into account these things are going to be driven on the far too often horrible roads in this country.

There is absolutely no reason a customer should have to hire a professional inspector to examine a brand new coach. Quality control needs to be built in to every step in the process from the initial design all the way through the construction process, to the final finished product.

The claim they are hand made and therefore more prone to problems is also a false narrative. I've had many hand made things and all tend to be far higher quality than mass produced items.

This issue has been going on for years and it's long past time for it to be corrected.
Donskiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 02:32 PM   #37

Quote:
Actually it is Tiffin’s fault. I’d think Tiffin would test for themselves before putting a mechanical system into 100s of motorhomes based on a suppliers “insistence that their product would work”. Might be time to hire some engineers.
I don’t think Tiffin is any worse than any other manufacturer, I just expected better at their price point.
I can see your living on the dark side.
Myself, I'm having fun with my Tifffin coach!
I'm sorry your so negative!
Life us short. Go find something you enjoy and just do it!

Old 05-12-2022, 02:36 PM   #38

Quote:
also, the same slide system is in nearly every motorhome and travel trailer unit out there. Blame Tiffin if you want, but please include every other manufacturer in your statement so you can be believed!

Old 05-12-2022, 03:00 PM   #39

Quote:
also, the same slide system is in nearly every motorhome and travel trailer unit out there. Blame Tiffin if you want, but please include every other manufacturer in your statement so you can be believed!

I've had issues with the hydraulic slides that I never had with previous campers including one with a full wall LCI/Schwintek slide.

LCI/Schwintek slides may not be the best out there but if you keep them synchronized and well maintained, they can be reliable. That being said, the Vroom setup is apparently quite nice.

Sam
Old 05-12-2022, 05:01 PM   #40

Quote:
I can see your living on the dark side.
Myself, I'm having fun with my Tifffin coach!
I'm sorry your so negative!
Life us short. Go find something you enjoy and just do it!

My previous post was taken down because I was rude to you treetop. Your suggestion that I living on the dark side is very hurtful to me and you’re not being very nice to me at all. I May never get over the way you have treated me after my perfectly legitimate statements.
Again I’m very very sorry if I hurt your feelings.
Love Billy, Joe, Jim Bob
Old 05-12-2022, 09:51 PM   #41

Quote:
My previous post was taken down because I was rude to you treetop. Your suggestion that I living on the dark side is very hurtful to me and you’re not being very nice to me at all. I May never get over the way you have treated me after my perfectly legitimate statements.
Again I’m very very sorry if I hurt your feelings.
Love Billy, Joe, Jim Bob
Yes, I did not like your response, but appreciate your reply. I'm not sure what the dark side means to you, but apparently it's not good. I just expressed what I had learned first hand as I talked and walked with the people that work on the Tiffin motorhomes, yet you dismissed any attempts they are making to improve. I learned that there's always a positive side that can make life better for everyone if one chooses that path
The dark side to me is staying in a negative mode and not letting the light in to enjoy.
Sorry that it was hurtful to you.

Old 05-13-2022, 04:24 AM   #42

Quote:
That is worth much more than "two cents". What you just said is exactly right!
Correct !

Quality starts with Management, unless Management is committed to Quality, you are just going through the motions.

In order to gauge Quality, you need criteria. Otherwise, you are just collecting numbers and not data. Numbers don't control or equate to Quality. By the time you have numbers it's too late to get Quality.

Most RV, and many other products, don't have Quality, they have to make do with Workmanship. A much more elusive attribute to track or control.

I believe that W. Edwards Deming's 14 points would support the above. https://deming.org/explore/fourteen-points/
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality, tiffin