Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2022, 03:18 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandcbend View Post
Yep... I wish Honda or Toyota made motorhomes... they are the cars I've had perfect luck with over many years. Chevy, Ford, Mazda not so good. RVs, not just Tiffin, remind me of the autos manufactured in USA back in the 80s... with added tech that further complicates things (this is our fourth RV). RV industry seems to be 40 years behind on quality.
I like buying quality and keeping it. I had 230K miles on my 2002 Acura TL and still enjoyed driving it, but we do a lot of highway miles and my wife didn't trust it anymore. Well, I've owned four Honda products so far, and they have treated me so well, I can't consider anything else. So we found a Honda Accord that was salvaged from a front end accident, about 7,600 miles, restored to perfect condition, and got it for a bargain. I love the Honda reliability, comfort, and we average 28-34 mpg. We got our Dutchstar from friends, also for a bargain price. Certainy glad we didn't buy it new, not given these stories!
DrSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2022, 03:40 PM   #58

I would suggest contacting Tiffin directly to see if they would cover a third party addressing the issues. With the increase in the number of MH sales and the number of coaches at the service center, they are starting to allow some 3rd party repairs to be covered under warranty. (i.e. Ricky McGee’s Pro-Finishes).

Whether or not they would allow a 3rd party 600 miles away , I don’t know. Even it they covered a portion of those coats, instead of coating $3K, maybe you’d be able to negotiate it down to a third or less. I’d suggest calling the factory direct and asking for Bob Tiffin. Have your VIN handy.
Jtschnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 04:09 PM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When you bought a Thor product what did you expect? It isn't Tiffin anymore, just the name but not the quality. The Tiffin family should feel real proud of how they let their company deteriorate after letting Thor get control.
vacationer04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 04:20 PM   #60

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We feel your pain..we have a Tiffin Allergro also...over the years we have had numerous issues that have required patience, anger management, frustration etc...that being said we have always been very pleased with how Tiffin has stood behind their product and the issues have been covered under their warranty or extended warranties. Luckily for us we had Bob Tiffin agree with repairing issues...no one was more surprised than us when our phone rang and there he was at the end of the line listening to our woes...not sure now with the new change over if this will be the same as we haven't had to deal with anything major lately...wishing you all the best and hopefully your frustrations will be dealt with...we also have been advised to go to Red Bay but its a very long drive from Canada...altho people we know have done so and say the experience has been well worth it...good luck with your rig and hopefully you will find enjoyment soon..we do love our rig and have spent a great deal of time over the last 6 years in it..PS our bedroom slide stopped working when we were in Mexico 3 years ago and we had it repaired under warranty in Tucson...we have just found it is again acting up...just got it repaired again...hoping it stays repaired as we haven't used the rig very much since 2020 Covid hit...maybe 7 or 8 times..yes frustrating for sure..
CKmyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 04:54 PM   #61

General is really working hard at DESTROYING its name....just recently a bit of a debackel with a finance scam.
BOSTONBERNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 05:12 PM   #62

Warranty

To each their own....we would absolutely, positively take a field trip to Red Bay. After putting out that kind of money, no way would I throw more money into it and, in the event you would sustain more damage, the warranty could be voided by it. Red Bay is a tremendous area for Tiffin owners despite the company having issues we've never seen before. In reality, the last time we were there, only went in the Service Center for one small warranty issue--rest of the items were done by local service personnel. We do not see ourselves ever owning anything other than a Tiffin for multiple reasons and actually look forward to going to Red Bay every other year or so. I don't think you mentioned your dealer, but we would have something to say to Tiffin about them as well. Regarding the post pertaining to Bob Tiffin, our agreement that he would not be happy with those pics and you should consider sending him a letter with the pictures and your situation. You may even hear back from him directly. Good luck to you!
DJsAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 05:13 PM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlfine:[I
We opted to have our roof treated with the Dicor RP-FCP-1 Fiberglass Roof Coating System - probably not needed as was earlier suggested, but just wanted it restored to what it should have been;[/I]

Just an opinion here, I have an 2011 Allegro Bus 40QXP that had a coat of Dicor RP-FCP-1 on top of the fiberglass and man do I wish had not been done. It chalked easy causing streaks down the side of the motorhome. We used 303 about 4 times a year and that helped. After two years, we did the full prep on the roof and recoated with three coats of Dicor. Was great for about a 18 months & then started chalking again even though I still used 303 twice a year. With your new fiberglass roof, all you should need to do is clean and wax or use 303 and it should do fine. Lots of info on IRV2 on different fiberglass protection products. Once the fiberglass roof is coated it will require more care unless it has lifetime warranty. This fall we will prep and try another product others here have suggested. We do use our coach 10 out of 12 months with 6 wintering in FL.

We have never purchased new but touring Tiffin just before the pandemic, I did feel their fit and finish was not up to par. Our Bus had less blemishes than the ones at the factory after their final prep. At the 2022 Tampa Super Show we checked out Tiffin, Newmar & Entegra and all show similar issues. Beautiful coaches but at $500K plus and at a show, they should have been pristine.

I do love our Tiffin Bus but have shared similar stories with others of different makes in our travels.
2021 GMC Canyon Denali
DiddyPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 05:23 PM   #64

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlfine View Post
Hi Mr Ranger.

Thanks for the advice, and good advice it would be for many...

However, Red Bay is 600 mi from here - that's 1,200 miles return.

My guess is the trip would account for approximately $690 in fuel costs, and we did consider that. Compounding the direct cost issue for the trip, much of it would be on I-30 and I-40, and involve a passage through Memphis. The negatives of such a trip just keep building!

The trip would be 1.5 days travel there, est. 3 days to get through the paint shop, and then 1.5 days on the road to get back to home base.

Based on comments in thread "Got to Red Bay today", 3 days in paint shop may have been grossly under estimated...

Notwithstanding actual out of pocket costs, the 6 day road trip to Red Bay for warranty work would likely be at the expense of a planned 6 day camping trip to Gulf Waters RV Resort on the beach later this year at Port Aransas Pass, TX.

Unlike the many more fortunate ones, we are not yet retired (one day soon, but not yet). While both are at a significant premium these days, for now at least, we have a bit more money than we have spare time. That will likely change one of these days, so priorities will likely change accordingly.

We have confidence in Blue Moon based on recent work they have completed on our 2022 Tiffin 32 SA - and based on the sketchy attention to details that we have seen from Tiffin, we are reluctant to go out of our way to get more of the later.
I have heard that Tiffin will allow you to have it corrected locally and pay for it!
KingCruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 05:25 PM   #65

Sad display of quality control on a nicer brand. I’ve always wondered if manufacturers take into account the time and expense on ‘using’ that consumer factory warranty to the buyers. I’ll bet they know a lot of buyers can’t or won’t return. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 06:31 PM   #66

Is it not under warranty?
rdibbxsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 06:35 PM   #67

Ever since Bob sold the Company, Tiffin has NEVER been the same in quality. Sure, if you want to drive to Red Bay Alabama, they will fix it.
Seems the ONLY way to get decent service is to go direct to the MFG. All dealership service centers ate like cell phone companies, the All SUCK!
vj9130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 06:38 PM   #68

And the hammer of Thor strikes again. The new moto of Tiffin is" You will be sore if you buy a Thor"
Old 05-15-2022, 07:27 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlfine View Post
That might be a bit harsh - just saying...

You are correct; maybe, sort of.

Final inspection is used to gauge the quality of the manufacturing processes, not the quality of the product.

It's one of the basic tenets of manufacturing excellence. If you want to build a quality product, then you develop quality manufacturing processes.

Design the each stage in the manufacturing process such that it is defect free and you save the cost of final inspection, and save the cost of rework, and save the cost of warranty repairs, and save the cost of deteriorating brand image due to negative customer rants in new groups. It's hard, but it's not complicated

Relying on final inspection is what got us the 1975 Cadillac Eldorado - a crappy auto that had virtually no resale value and one of the contributors that put the stink in "Made in America". The Japanese auto manufacturers understood quality manufacturing processes, Detroit did not.
Inspection does not improve the quality, nor guarantee quality. Inspection is too late. The quality, good or bad, is already in the product. As Harold F. Dodge said, “You can not inspect quality into a product.”
Final inspection would not and could not and did not find the issues with our 32 SA that came off of the manufacturing line - because the problems were intermittent.

Additionally, fixing products that have defects yields an inventory of remanufactured or reconditioned product, not new products. No one wants that. If I buy reconditioned (fixed due to defect discovery in final inspection), then I want the much reduced reconditioned price, not the new price.

https://deming.org/inspection-is-too...in-the-product
A factor in a final inspection would be to refine the manufacturing process, but it also includes making sure that the product is ready for the customer. True enough, it can't find all things, but it can make life better. The paint issues for instance should've been caught on a final inspection. Realistically, with something as complicated as a motorhome, it should see intermediate inspections, like one after paint, before it gets to the final inspector, much less to the customer. The head of the paint department is responsible for that snafu. Part of that problem is holding department supervisors accountable, and employees that care. We don't have enough info to be certain, but judging by responses, Tiffen is having an issue with consistency in quality control.

And why would it be "used or refurbished" after a final inspection at the factory, or dealer for that matter, finds an issue and it's repaired. It hasn't been sold to a customer. It hasn't been sold to a customer, why would they sell it as remanufactured, reconditioned or refurbished?

All the RV manufacturers have problems, and I have to believe that the current economic and labor conditions have exasperated the issues.

I think I'll stick with my 20+ year old coach. At least I know it's problems!
MSGDLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 07:47 PM   #70

I don't own an expensive diesel pusher, I'm a travel trailer type. However, reading the responses to this unbelievable lack of quality on a VERY expensive unit strains credulity. So, if I buy a Mercedes and it has issues, I should take it back to Stuttgart for repairs? Why take the unit to where it was manufactured for the necessary repairs that shouldn't be required? I like certain manufacturers. I put hundreds of thousands of miles on Toyotas. But that doesn't give them a pass on quality. And I shouldn't be expected to take it back to Japan for needed and expected quality issues. The RV industry gets a pass because consumers say, "what the heck you gonna do? This is as good as it gets!" We, as consumers deserve and should demand better.
SteveG. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality, tiffin