Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2022, 02:30 PM   #85

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jayco Owners Club
I just paid $3500 for the steering stabilizer kits, front and rear, and don't really notice much difference yet. We'll see. I'm considering getting the Koni shocks but for another grand I wonder if they will make much difference either. My wife says we'll have a complete rebuild on a 4 year old 38 ft.Jayco Precept before too long, and she's correct. We've spent about $4500 of the $7000 extended warranty already. Lots of other issues too numerous to mention but, it is a second home on wheels.
Glad (and sorry) to hear we are not the only ones having this fun. Happy camping.
Marshalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2022, 05:07 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadBounder View Post
Why not take it to a Tiffin dealer and have them fix it under warranty. I don't (spelling corrected, you're welcome) understand why you would pay $3K to fix a warranty issue.
As a short introduction, ours is a brand new 2022 Allegro Open Road 32SA that was 6 weeks old when the roof issue was noted. I have flushed the toilet twice - only twice, once when we were winterizing it and again when we were getting it ready to head out into adventure land. I've never had a cold beer from the refrigerator (that could, in part, explain the earlier point). In short, we have yet been afforded the opportunity to use the motorhome for its intended purpose. We had been to the dealer for service work within the first couple of days of the purchase, and that did not work out well; in fact, the whole experience was, to date, an unmitigated disaster (figuratively, of course)

With that background, I'll digress a bit..

I'm reluctant to take the bait on any retort that starts with "I don't understand why you ....", mainly because understanding another's understandings is the science of snake-oil pedaling psychologists, but also it often takes the conversation down a one-way rabbit hole. Understanding comes from those little pseudo-wirings called synaptic channels that connect the axonal terminals of an excited, sensory processing control neuron network to the input dendrites of an output configurable neuron. As an example, a simple concept, such as why I would do this or that, is captured in the enlightened brain as a network of axons, dendrites, and synaptic channels, that are wired together through the process of learning. If someone does not understand something (e.g., doesn't understand me, doesn't understand integrating transcendental function, doesn't know how to drive a forklift, doesn't understand how to derive the polynomial formula to account for accumulated interest over a series of pre-period payments to understand the time value of money, and so on), then simply put, there is a lacking in the wiring of a specific neural network in that person's brain. Now I don't have a clue what any of that means, but it does strike me as odd, bordering on absurd, that I would somehow be responsible for anyone's understandings other than my own. That you don't understand something is not on me.

That said, for this time, I'll take the bait (and will likely be sorry for same).

It goes something like this:

I had the motorhome at the local Tiffin dealer earlier for warranty work because the living room slide was installed incorrectly. The dealer made it worse and concluded it was not reproducible. I took it to Blue Moon RV service in Carrolton TX where they repaired the slide in 3 days and the cost to was ZERO - I paid Blue Moon $2,234.65, submitted pictures and the invoice to Tiffin, and 4 days later I received a check for $2,234.65, signed my the legend himself - The Right Honorable Bob Tiffin. I paid the initial repair cost out of pocket because I was tired of dealing with dealers.

Now the roof issue is at hand. I started this post to give folks a heads-up regarding quality and the need to be Über diligent in the pre-acceptance inspection. It appears dealers will not be diligent about inspection and repairing motorhome when they take it from the manufacturer and before it is sold. That's because dealers have separated the sales component of the company from the service component of the company, effectively creating two companies. The sales company is a profit center - and the rewards there are volume based. The service company is a cost center, where the technicians are compensated based on flag hours and flag rate. Flag values come from a book published by the manufacturer. When you take your motorhome in for warranty work, the service department sees the manufacturer as the customer. As the owner of the motor home, you are just nuisance, a screaming Karen if you please. When you take your motorhome in for warranty work, you give up control of the repair process.

Bottom line, in summary, and so on. I took our motor home to a top notch repair facility, we looked at the problem, discussed the fix and cost, I made suggestions about quality and guarantee and timing and so, the shop gave me a price, I looked in my pocket and had just that much, so I said to that shop - "Go for it, make it right", and so they did. It was fixed, fixed right I might add because I was involved and watched what they were doing, and then the great folks at Tiffin sent me a check to cover the repairs.

Now for the summary of the summary - I paid $3k for warranty work because I wanted it done right, and wanted the warranty providing technicians at the dealer service center as far away from our motor home as I could get them. We paid $200K for our motorhome, so an additional $3k to get it right does hurt a bit, but dealing with warranty service hurts OH SO MUCH MORE. We took the least pain approach.

Specifically to ChadBounder - I am not opposed to warranty work, I am opposed to dealer warranty work. Paying $3k initially and then getting reimbursed from Tiffin was simply the approach I took to warranty work. I do hope this clears up the understandings a bit...

With that, I have now opened myself up for a plethora of unsolicited commentary from old angry white men with 10 year old $700K rigs about what I should have done. For the record, I never asked, so thank you all the same.

If you have problems after you buy your new coach, and you feel it might be covered under warranty, either figure it out on your own, or ask one of the many old angry white men with the 10 year old $700K rig on this forum for advise. Don't take my approach - it only works for me.

For those that are contemplating purchasing a new motorhome, you may want to consider a two or three day inspection process prior to taking delivery of that $200K to $750K coach. Often times your bargaining power with the dealer evaporates the instance you hand over the sack of cash. That's my advise. It's free advice offered as is with no warrant, and as always, you get what you pay for...
rlfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:29 PM   #87

I believe this article and so many many more just like it speak volumes about what the OP stated in that so many do not do a through inspection of everything from the roof to the basement and everything in between to insure that all is operating as it should and that workmanship is acceptable to you.
There are thousands of articles that begin with "It's been that way since new"
So you have to ask why did you write the check and accept the unit ?
We are spending a small fortune on these units and it is solely up to the buyer to accept the product when it is right with them and to complete the payment process.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:46 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlfine View Post

For those that are contemplating purchasing a new motorhome, you may want to consider a two or three day inspection process prior to taking delivery of that $200K to $750K coach. Often times your bargaining power with the dealer evaporates the instance you hand over the sack of cash. That's my advise. It's free advice offered as is with no warrant, and as always, you get what you pay for...
You write very well.

My only comment is if you perform a two or three day inspection at the dealer prior to taking delivery and expect them to fix even one one issue, you’ll never take delivery. My dealer cannot fix anything. I agree with your decision to get service elsewhere which is what I do.

Red Bay is a unique place that no other manufacturer has. If you keep your coach and want to make any upgrades or changes, consider getting it done there.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:10 AM   #89

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Roy,

We purchased a 2022 Bus that had some issues but they all seem to. I did take it to Red Bay the week after purchase since parts seemed to be slow getting to dealer and I wanted to put a few miles on it before taking actual camping trips in it. As it turned out on the drive over I had some engine issues that resulting in having the new engine replaced with another new engine. That was February 15th. They are in the process of correcting the issues that I was initially taking it over for and we hope to pick it up in a few weeks. For sure several of these issues should have kept it from leaving the factory but it did. This is my 4th rv but first Tiffin so a bit of a rocky start however my wife loves the layout so we will see how the second 6 months of ownership go. I hope yours will end up being all you wanted, we are working on being positive and thinking about the trips we have planned this year. Also good to know about Blue Moon since they are not to far from us.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:52 PM   #90

Well I have never had the pleasure of owning a Tiffin, I have met Bob Tiffin at a dealer and he took great pride to show me the coach personally. RED BAY is like 2000 miles for me so I understand. But owners I have spoken to or heard speak make me think that I would want to go direct to the factory. One fellow showed me extensive damage from a bad freeze that was, in my opinion directly his negligence. The factory repaired it all under warranty with no hassle.

Sadly that roof area in the second an third pictures looks like Physical Damage and my bet would be it occurred in transit of at the dealer. Not sure what I see in photo #1 but that all does speak to being pushed through you PDI too fast. In my only brand new purchase, a Toy Hauler about 7 yrs ago I refused delivery for a couple small things and the dealer got three guys on them right then and there. A second problem I agreed to accept, only because it was a factory omission from their own Build Sheet and the factory set me up for a repair/fix at the factory, which I could personally confirm with the factory warranty rep, for the next day. Oddly the factory was closer to our home than the dealer, 25 miles versus 55 miles.

It all comes down to PRE PURCHASE INSPECTION, and You lose all dealer motivation the minute you take delivery, but up to that minute you can have them hopping for you.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:47 PM   #91

From what i have been hearing this is typical of Tiffin's new quality control :(
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:17 PM   #92

If this is a new coach, I would think it is under warranty and covered by Tiffin. Have you taken the coach to Red Bay or at least talked with customer service?
deblj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:18 PM   #93

We bought a new 2021 Phaeton. Other than cosmetic issues it has been an excellent coach!
deblj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:01 PM   #94

Tiffin Owners Club
Sorry, but your pics do NOT look like a 32SA let alone a Tiffin. Maybe better pictures would give a more precise perspective.
COLPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:12 PM   #95

Tiffin Owners Club
I recommend you call Tiffin in Red Bay and request they pu rig to complete the incomplete quality. I did receive my rig back after they pu in WA. While I appreciate Tiffin’s efforts to repair what there authorized dealers did not repair correctly the transit company returned my rig damaged. The gas tank on less than what I could get my rig to, though it was pu with a near full tank. Your pictures have me reconsidering accepting delivery of my new rig order on a Tiffin
magbrowning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:31 PM   #96

Call Bob tiffin, he will take care of you
timthemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:39 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblj2 View Post
We bought a new 2021 Phaeton. Other than cosmetic issues it has been an excellent coach!
Same here. Our 40IH had VERY minor issues, all of which the dealer told us about during the PDI. Our dealer is a small family business that we have dealt with for years and was/is honest about what they can and can not service.

Sam
Old 05-17-2022, 08:43 PM   #98

It is, I promise

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLPeg View Post
Sorry, but your pics do NOT look like a 32SA let alone a Tiffin. Maybe better pictures would give a more precise perspective.
I sometimes surprise even myself - specifically, why I would respond to a super silly post.

It is a Tiffin, specifically a 2022 Allegro Open Road 32 SA with approx 900 miles on it. Part of me wishes I had the inclination to post a picture or two, but the more significant part is asking why.

How is this, PEG?

Same vehicle, different elevation.

As a side note, what is your unit, are you drive an RV? Is it a Tiffin? Please update your signature, else we will assume you are but a troll....

God bless and have a nice day.
rlfine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality, tiffin