Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-20-2022, 02:56 PM   #113
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: East Bethel, Minnesota
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by bneumann View Post
IMO, comments about who/what/where/when is 'jibberish'.



It's the evolution culture we are in, driven by lack of pride in workmanship/lasting quality in general.



Good practice & skill has been going downhill since beginning of manufacture competitiveness, expediency, greed & profit, with an emphasis on haste, looks only/status, requiring neither intelligence nor professional skill.



..... pride & skill only return when we run out of garbage dumps/vehicle graveyards, in a throw away easier to buy again/replace world & also, by the way, stop creating environmental hazards .... but doubt it.


All true, I suggest the automobile industry has for the most part got it figured out. If you think back to the 60s and 70s a car was basically worn out at about 50k miles. Now a quarter of a million miles is not unheard of. I think we owe this to the Japanese bringing in higher quality units. Donít expect to see this happening in the RV industry any time soon.
__________________
Ken & Char
2019 Open Road 36UA
East Bethel, Minnesota
KenJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2022, 05:37 PM   #114
Senior Member
 
Treetopguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDog2 View Post
It is my understanding that Thor bought Tiffin a few years ago. Anything after 2020 is manufactured by Thor not Tiffin.
This is not correct. Tiffin manufacturing is still in Red Bay, AL and is run by the Tiffin family. The only changes I was made aware of during my 3 week stay were, I couldn't stay with the coach all the time during the service work, and I couldn't take photos of the plant tours I took.
Hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-G950U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Treetopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:33 AM   #115
Senior Member
 
MevetS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Three Oaks, Mi.
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetopguy View Post
This is not correct. Tiffin manufacturing is still in Red Bay, AL and is run by the Tiffin family. The only changes I was made aware of during my 3 week stay were, I couldn't stay with the coach all the time during the service work, and I couldn't take photos of the plant tours I took.
Hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-G950U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Probably more accurately, managed by the Tiffin family. I'm not aware how involved Bob Tiffin is with day to day operations, but things are bound to change.
The changes you mentioned, as far as I recall, were maybe before the announcement of the sale to the Son of Odin. Including not being able to follow the build of a coach you ordered, on the manufacturing floor.

Things will change, THOR will not rush them, but they will creep in.
__________________
Where we started back in '82. When cheap beer was good.
Our Force is painted.
2019 Jeep KL (Cherokee) TOAD
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 07:24 AM   #116
Senior Member
 
dmctlc's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Port Charlotte (South Gulf Cove), Florida
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by MevetS View Post
Probably more accurately, managed by the Tiffin family. I'm not aware how involved Bob Tiffin is with day to day operations, but things are bound to change.
The changes you mentioned, as far as I recall, were maybe before the announcement of the sale to the Son of Odin. Including not being able to follow the build of a coach you ordered, on the manufacturing floor.

Things will change, THOR will not rush them, but they will creep in.
It's inevitable since large companies don't buy smaller companies without seeing a means to make a profit. You need to remember that's paying back above and beyond what they've already paid for the company. Some streamline all the logistics and supply chain into one. Others consolidate management and finance and others manufacturing into similar makes and models. A lot of these smaller companies like Tiffin, Newmar, etc. might bring a quality control program that might work better with the larger more cumbersome "mother" company. Some do all the above, but you will see change and I agree they won't rush into it. Car industries have streamlined their operations many years ago and it will never go back and why would you want it to? Quality and reliability have greatly improved as previously mentioned, in the car industry though I feel that the RV industry is a long way off and will take either major competition from a foreign source or better yet a foreign company buying an American RV company. We just purchased a new car a month ago and not a thing was wrong with it, not "one" thing.... how many can say that about an RV. Is the cost different, for sure, RVs cost a lot more money.... yet blame it on the pandemic, world events, whatever but in the end it boils down to what we are willing to pay for in cost and quality or lack of... Customers and Manufacturers I feel take equal blame, they build them with poor quality and we buy them. Some things we fix because we know the dealer will never fix it or it's quicker for us to. Some things the dealer might and try to fix then the inevitable trip back to Red Bay or wherever the manufacturer is located. I'll never buy a new Motorhome, been there and had the issues. Our recent purchase was 5 y/o and has issues but at least I didn't pay top dollar for it.
Sorry I'll get off my soapbox, I'm sure many feel this way and others have different opinions.. we live with our own decisions so enjoy.
__________________
Dana & Terri along w/ Shadow our 6 y/o Cocker Spaniel
2016 Tiffin Phaeton 44OH
Our Toad: '17 Lincoln MKX
dmctlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 06:10 PM   #117
Senior Member
 
Treetopguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
It's inevitable since large companies don't buy smaller companies without seeing a means to make a profit. You need to remember that's paying back above and beyond what they've already paid for the company. Some streamline all the logistics and supply chain into one. Others consolidate management and finance and others manufacturing into similar makes and models. A lot of these smaller companies like Tiffin, Newmar, etc. might bring a quality control program that might work better with the larger more cumbersome "mother" company. Some do all the above, but you will see change and I agree they won't rush into it. Car industries have streamlined their operations many years ago and it will never go back and why would you want it to? Quality and reliability have greatly improved as previously mentioned, in the car industry though I feel that the RV industry is a long way off and will take either major competition from a foreign source or better yet a foreign company buying an American RV company. We just purchased a new car a month ago and not a thing was wrong with it, not "one" thing.... how many can say that about an RV. Is the cost different, for sure, RVs cost a lot more money.... yet blame it on the pandemic, world events, whatever but in the end it boils down to what we are willing to pay for in cost and quality or lack of... Customers and Manufacturers I feel take equal blame, they build them with poor quality and we buy them. Some things we fix because we know the dealer will never fix it or it's quicker for us to. Some things the dealer might and try to fix then the inevitable trip back to Red Bay or wherever the manufacturer is located. I'll never buy a new Motorhome, been there and had the issues. Our recent purchase was 5 y/o and has issues but at least I didn't pay top dollar for it.

Sorry I'll get off my soapbox, I'm sure many feel this way and others have different opinions.. we live with our own decisions so enjoy.
Your first sentence has the most value of any of the others. Companies purchase for profit. Whether they are purchasing to reap the profit of a product line, or to eliminate competition for one of their product lines.
But, don't get too involved thinking that a company is going to buy a company just to change it from being profitable with a recognized brand name, to a lesser branded product.
Pepsi didn't buy Frito Lay and get rid of the Fritos!
Nestles didn't buy Gerber and change baby food to chocolate sauce.
I think it would be stupid to merge the Tiffin line into the lesser appreciated Thor line of coaches.
They will probably work on logistics and policies and leave the product alone.

Sent from my SM-G950U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Treetopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:30 AM   #118
Senior Member
 
MevetS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Three Oaks, Mi.
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
It's inevitable since large companies don't buy smaller companies without seeing a means to make a profit. You need to remember that's paying back above and beyond what they've already paid for the company. Some streamline all the logistics and supply chain into one. Others consolidate management and finance and others manufacturing into similar makes and models. A lot of these smaller companies like Tiffin, Newmar, etc. might bring a quality control program that might work better with the larger more cumbersome "mother" company. Some do all the above, but you will see change and I agree they won't rush into it. Car industries have streamlined their operations many years ago and it will never go back and why would you want it to? Quality and reliability have greatly improved as previously mentioned, in the car industry though I feel that the RV industry is a long way off and will take either major competition from a foreign source or better yet a foreign company buying an American RV company. We just purchased a new car a month ago and not a thing was wrong with it, not "one" thing.... how many can say that about an RV. Is the cost different, for sure, RVs cost a lot more money.... yet blame it on the pandemic, world events, whatever but in the end it boils down to what we are willing to pay for in cost and quality or lack of... Customers and Manufacturers I feel take equal blame, they build them with poor quality and we buy them. Some things we fix because we know the dealer will never fix it or it's quicker for us to. Some things the dealer might and try to fix then the inevitable trip back to Red Bay or wherever the manufacturer is located. I'll never buy a new Motorhome, been there and had the issues. Our recent purchase was 5 y/o and has issues but at least I didn't pay top dollar for it.
Sorry I'll get off my soapbox, I'm sure many feel this way and others have different opinions.. we live with our own decisions so enjoy.
That's the SOP interpretation of a Buy Out and how it works. Typically, it's the way the buyer wants people to interpret the situation. Without visibility of the contracts that were actually signed, there is no way to know what will really happen. I would suspect that Bob Tiffin received a lucrative contract to keep himself associated for a specific time period. I'm not even remotely suggesting that he doesn't deserve it.

It's kind of pathetically humorous that you mention Tiffin in the same sentence with Quality Control. That was the reputation we bought into back in 2019, as well. We bought a used 2017. It's impossible to Control something you don't have. They may have some level of Workmanship, but definitely not Quality Control. I can tell you that with our unit has been a non-stop series of costly disappointments.

In the main, I agree with the assessment of the situation of the RV industry.
__________________
Where we started back in '82. When cheap beer was good.
Our Force is painted.
2019 Jeep KL (Cherokee) TOAD
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 06:26 AM   #119
Senior Member
 
Treetopguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by MevetS View Post
That's the SOP interpretation of a Buy Out and how it works. Typically, it's the way the buyer wants people to interpret the situation. Without visibility of the contracts that were actually signed, there is no way to know what will really happen. I would suspect that Bob Tiffin received a lucrative contract to keep himself associated for a specific time period. I'm not even remotely suggesting that he doesn't deserve it.

It's kind of pathetically humorous that you mention Tiffin in the same sentence with Quality Control. That was the reputation we bought into back in 2019, as well. We bought a used 2017. It's impossible to Control something you don't have. They may have some level of Workmanship, but definitely not Quality Control. I can tell you that with our unit has been a non-stop series of costly disappointments.

In the main, I agree with the assessment of the situation of the RV industry.
I understand your concerns and don't discount them, but please don't discount my experience with buy outs, since I have previously been directly involved with them in my corporate career!
I hope you get your issues corrected with your rv and have many great memories with it.
I've got mine in perfect shape and am soon to hit the road!
happy trails to all!

Sent from my SM-G950U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Treetopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 06:30 AM   #120
Member
 
bneumann's Avatar


 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Home
Posts: 59
Maybe it's now time to close this issue .... diverging into rationals of corporate buyouts & financial options .... would think that it's best to get back to original topic citing items, closer to home, that could maybe be improved, we know there are lots of them. If one doesn't agree just trash not.

Here's a suggestion, which I forwarded to Tiffin; maybe overkill, but certainly a solid improvement to our motorhome .... may help others with similar problem worth examining ?

There are lots of decent ideas in this forum to resolve manufacturing workmanship issues & incidental upgrades .

My suggestion to Tiffin:

Suggestions, in interest of more care / improvements:

We had problems with our motorhome attachment & fabrication at under bed gas struts & bed base attachments.
Please see attached photos with descriptions ... hope they came out inserted.

Bracket under left side bed (storage space) was installed onto poor delaminated & mangled plywood pieces & came loose, leaving the gas strut dangling.
I spent about 2 hours reinforcing the corner with a sheet metal piece made specifically to add structure to the corner.
The plywood corner was secured by power pin nails, some not even into wood !
The entire thing was of course covered up (until failure) by carpet overlay.
My total out of pocket cost approximately $150; enjoy fixing things properly.

As well the installer who attached a wood grill at the front furnace vent did not seem to use common sense.
Pin nails were punched in at the weakest points of the wood grille; could have easily been located where wood surface is thickest.
I addition heat from furnace will naturally dry out the wood maybe causing premature cracking.
Tried gluing but not very successful; may end up buying a small metal grille & using small screws.

It seems a little thought with less haste can prevent many after sale failures.
As well, power nailers are expedient but should be used with a bit more thought & less haste.

In interest to maintain better quality, kindly pass on these comments as may be appropriate.


Thank you

Click image for larger version

Name:	2. Left side mangled bad plywood, gas strut piston bracket broke off.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	366217

Click image for larger version

Name:	3. Left side, bad plywood also separated from bed end piece, & delaminated.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	366218

Click image for larger version

Name:	5. Made fabricated sheet metal reinforecement to go over damaged side & end plywood base.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	366219

Click image for larger version

Name:	6. Now properly reinstalled, solid in place.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	427.4 KB
ID:	366220
__________________
2019 Tiffin RED 33AA
2021 Buick Encore GX Essence AWD
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy Select 3
bneumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 02:48 AM   #121
Senior Member
 
MevetS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Three Oaks, Mi.
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetopguy View Post
I understand your concerns and don't discount them, but please don't discount my experience with buy outs, since I have previously been directly involved with them in my corporate career!
I hope you get your issues corrected with your rv and have many great memories with it.
I've got mine in perfect shape and am soon to hit the road!
happy trails to all!

Sent from my SM-G950U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
I've also been directly involved with buy outs. You are not alone !

But yes, the topic is the state of Quality at Tiffin. Unfortunately, it's not on a improvement trend. In our experience.
__________________
Where we started back in '82. When cheap beer was good.
Our Force is painted.
2019 Jeep KL (Cherokee) TOAD
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:58 AM   #122
Junior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 24
Have repair quoted then send to Tiffin

Sorry if this has been mentioned, I didn't want to read all 9 pages of replies, have you thought of getting a quote from your local place then sending it to Tiffin asking them to cover the cost as the coach is still under warranty. Explain the justification of you not driving there, taking time off work because you would have to wait several weeks before even getting into the paint shop, etc, etc. Worth a shot?
__________________
Neil & Jill
2020 Phaeton 37BH
neilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:42 AM   #123
Senior Member
 
HerbieHauler's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Philadelphia Pa.
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilj View Post
Sorry if this has been mentioned, I didn't want to read all 9 pages of replies, have you thought of getting a quote from your local place then sending it to Tiffin asking them to cover the cost as the coach is still under warranty. Explain the justification of you not driving there, taking time off work because you would have to wait several weeks before even getting into the paint shop, etc, etc. Worth a shot?
Hello,
I believe this was covered in the thread by several people including the author, but as I understand it. Tiffin will cover the cost of the repairs... He will pay upfront and Tiffin will take care of paying him back. We decided to allow the dealership to have our coach taken to Red Bay. The down side for us and some other have faced, is that the rig came back with only half of the issues repaired. Another big issues is the wear and tear that you are allowing some unknown person to put on your new rig that you paid $$$ for. (Remember they also tow their car back with your rig over what ever miles they have to travel) I ended up having to take the coach back to Red Bay myself anyway to make sure all of the repairs where made correctly. The only good thing about it is after Mr. Tiffin finished hearing my DW mouth about it. He did extend our warranty for another year. I think the author wants to take it where he knows it's going to be repaired correctly and the coach doesn't have to get wear and tear on it that he's not enjoy doing himself and he doesn't have to loss a lot of time from work.. I wish I lived closer to a place I trusted, I would probable do the same.
__________________
Herbie "RedJaguar 100 Travels" (YT)
2020 TIFFIN ALLEGRO RED 37BH
2018 Cadillac XT5 - Toad
HerbieHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 06:31 AM   #124
Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: May 2018
Location: florida
Posts: 52
Our own experience with our 9th coach (2018 -40AP) and our present 10th coach (2021 45OPP) has been good. After having Monaco Dynastys, Newmar Mountain Aire and early on a few Coachman Products, we can honestly say that our 2 Tiffins have been a true pleasure to own. Yes , we have had 2 DEF sensor failures and a below normal list of items that were repaired at Red Bay. The one item that sets Tiffin apart for us over the other makers is customer service. DEF Sensor overnighted to us, Talking with Brett at Tiffin when one of our jacks was slow retracting, receiving helpful e-mails from Mr. Gary Harris within 3 or 4 hours of our initial e-mail. Try talking to the Chassis Mgr. at Newmar. Most times that we call we receive the help that we need fast. This comes from management. They treat us like they want to cure our problem or answer our questions. Our 2021 45OPP was built in June of 2020 as the folks were returning from Covid lockdown. It still came off the assembly line well built with some cosmetic issues. Those issues were fixed, I still am impressed with the powerglide chassis. I would take it any day over the new Spartan chassis. We are well-pleased with our Tiffin . Stay safe.
__________________
2021 Tiffin Allegro Bus 45OPP East Central Florida
greeneville1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:21 AM   #125
Senior Member
 
SamKVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneville1 View Post
Our own experience with our 9th coach (2018 -40AP) and our present 10th coach (2021 45OPP) has been good. After having Monaco Dynastys, Newmar Mountain Aire and early on a few Coachman Products, we can honestly say that our 2 Tiffins have been a true pleasure to own. Yes , we have had 2 DEF sensor failures and a below normal list of items that were repaired at Red Bay. The one item that sets Tiffin apart for us over the other makers is customer service. DEF Sensor overnighted to us, Talking with Brett at Tiffin when one of our jacks was slow retracting, receiving helpful e-mails from Mr. Gary Harris within 3 or 4 hours of our initial e-mail. Try talking to the Chassis Mgr. at Newmar. Most times that we call we receive the help that we need fast. This comes from management. They treat us like they want to cure our problem or answer our questions. Our 2021 45OPP was built in June of 2020 as the folks were returning from Covid lockdown. It still came off the assembly line well built with some cosmetic issues. Those issues were fixed, I still am impressed with the powerglide chassis. I would take it any day over the new Spartan chassis. We are well-pleased with our Tiffin . Stay safe.
Your OPP was built the same timeframe as our IH and as I've mentioned before, very few issues at delivery and no trips to Red Bay. Their customer service has been great with quick answers (even to dumb questions) and always willing to help. This is our first DP but agree the Powerglide chassis is awesome.

Sam
__________________
2021 Tiffin Phaeton 40IH
2016 Jeep Wrangler JK Sport TOAD - Air Force One
SamKVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 03:36 PM   #126
Senior Member
 
MevetS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Three Oaks, Mi.
Posts: 108
We were just fortunate enough to sell our Tiffin Breeze. Unfortunately, for the people who bought it, the stupid thing threw a code on their way home. It was quite embarrassing, but typical. I was tempted to say, Welcome to the world of Tiffin. It's was never a dull moment.
__________________
Where we started back in '82. When cheap beer was good.
Our Force is painted.
2019 Jeep KL (Cherokee) TOAD
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
quality, tiffin



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chime in on quality (or lack thereof) of RV appliances BJohnsonsv MH-General Discussions & Problems 20 05-20-2022 05:37 AM
Holiday Rambler Quality or Lack Thereof Bruslymike MH-General Discussions & Problems 5 07-22-2017 08:27 PM
Interior decorating or lack thereof?? KathiE-H iRV2.com General Discussion 43 10-26-2012 10:47 PM
Chassis Lube, or Lack Thereof Bobby C Monaco Owner's Forum 6 01-25-2009 03:55 PM
12 volt system (or lack thereof) Geoffrey Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics 3 02-22-2007 07:21 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.