Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2021, 12:24 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Generator Issue - 2020 32SA

On our recent trip through the Northwest we ran into an issue with running the generator (7000w version) while motoring, and under load (both A/C's on). It started just fine, and then after maybe 45 minutes or so the switch on the dash just started flashing and I noticed that the generator was off as well as the A/C. This occurred multiple times during our 2800 mile trip. It was of course hot outside, up to 108 degrees at times. The dealer was puzzled and recommended I contact Cummins, which I did and they guided me through the process of reading the code, it was 36 and the tech told me it's likely a fuel delivery issue and that is not something they can fix - it's a Tiffin issue. By the way, we only had this issue while motoring down the road, not while parked with the engine off. Well we brought to the dealer and of course they were not able to replicate the issue, no surprise, but certainly can see the error code. So at this point I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue, also any suggestions?
Neal D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2021, 01:25 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Neal, two questions for you....

1. is your rig gas or diesel or gas?
2. is your generator air or water cooled?

I believe your rig is gas and generator air cooled. Before I bought our Tiffin Phaeton 40IH, we had the Jayco Precept 34G with the Ford gas and Cummins air cool generator with the same problem.... and under the same circumstances.

It's happening to most every Jayco according to their forum.

Based on my experiences, I think it's the Ford/rig's engine heat and that's causing the generator to over heat and/or vapor lock in the fuel line. I tried extra vents and insulated the gas line and it did not fix the problem. And, like yours, ran OK after cool down and rig engine not running.

Good luck, Mark
Old 08-13-2021, 10:49 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I had the same problem on my 2018 32SA. Please see the link below, specifically post #85 on the second page for how mine was fixed. This thread is very good and has more information on gas generators than you can take in. Your issue may be different than mine, as there are a number of possible causes for this issue (normally it is a fuel issue though). I had taken mine to the selling dealer and to Tiffin in Red Bay, with no resolution.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/gen...-502662-2.html
Hope this helps. I know it is a frustrating problem.
BTW, mine still runs perfectly with the new fuel pump, barb and gas line between the fuel pump and carburetor.
Thanks,
wog099 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 11:03 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you Mark, it is a gas rig and gas generator.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:05 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Wade, what I will do is provide that portion of post to the service tech. It's just frustrating when something like this occurs with a new rig with only 7,000 miles on it.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:24 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal D View Post
Thanks Wade, what I will do is provide that portion of post to the service tech. It's just frustrating when something like this occurs with a new rig with only 7,000 miles on it.
Mine was bad from day one but the selling dealer couldn't "duplicate the problem" because he would not listen to the customer and drive it with the gen running. The Tiffin tech at Red Bay would only run it in the bay and said it ran correctly also.
If the techs will not listen, you may want to just tell them to put a new fuel pump, barb and line on; as that's probably less than $200 (or it is something you can do yourself).
Thanks,
Old 08-14-2021, 11:59 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Good suggestion, and I will ask the tech's to do just that when I speak with them Monday morning.
Old 08-14-2021, 02:36 PM   #8

Code 36 just tells you the generator stopped running without a stop signal.

One thing that has not been mentioned is the intake on the tank is at about 1/4 full, so if you were low on fuel it would expect your issue.

Fuel pumps and fuel filters are commonly causes. You can google the error code and get a bunch of other potential causes.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 04:09 PM   #9

We had this exact same problem on our last gas coach/generator and the problem was ethanol based gas clogging up the fuel filter and pump. I never thought of using Stabil as the coach engine didn't need it but the small generator engine apparently did. Changing the filter and pump yourself is relatively easy but small hands help.

Sam
Old 08-15-2021, 11:04 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssl View Post
Code 36 just tells you the generator stopped running without a stop signal.

One thing that has not been mentioned is the intake on the tank is at about 1/4 full, so if you were low on fuel it would expect your issue.

Fuel pumps and fuel filters are commonly causes. You can google the error code and get a bunch of other potential causes.
Good point, however we never ran the fuel any lower than 3/4 full. So I don't think that was the cause.
Old 08-17-2021, 06:27 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is a COMMON FIRST SYMPTOM for FAILING / INTERMITTENT FUEL PUMP; (can be a $30-DIY repair)
Old 10-28-2021, 11:11 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Well I was finally able to get an appointment at Cummins and the first response from them was that they never recommend using a generator while in motion. I explained that I've never heard that before, and they reiterated that is there policy. They've now had our unit for a week now and we're just waiting to hear what they found. Oh, they also told that even though it's under warranty they will be charging me $249.00 if they are not able to determine what the actual cause is (even though I passed along the advice from others on this post). Seems crazy to me, but again I'm new to all of this.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:27 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal D View Post
Well I was finally able to get an appointment at Cummins and the first response from them was that they never recommend using a generator while in motion. I explained that I've never heard that before, and they reiterated that is there policy. They've now had our unit for a week now and we're just waiting to hear what they found. Oh, they also told that even though it's under warranty they will be charging me $249.00 if they are not able to determine what the actual cause is (even though I passed along the advice from others on this post). Seems crazy to me, but again I'm new to all of this.
I empathize with you on this issue. Service shops have us over a barrel if we are not mechanics ourselves. I would suggest that if Cummins can't or won't fix the issue; that you install a new fuel filter and a new fuel pump. (On mine Tiffin had installed the wrong size barb and gas line between the fuel pump and carburetor so that was replaced also). Also, if your gen has not been run regular enough the carburetor could be gummed up too.
Thanks for providing an update, and do let us know the final good news when you have a good running generator. Also, most every MH runs their generator while driving when it's hot, need to make coffee, etc.
Thanks,
Old 10-28-2021, 12:05 PM   #14

It states in their own manual, RV Generator Handbook (F-1123)...
(Search F-1123)

OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator