Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Generator start on it's own

Hi,
I have owned a Phaton for two years now and have never tried to use the automatic gen start feature on the coach. Yesterday I was sitting in the house and heard a motor running. I just thought it was a neighbor with his truck running. My wife went outside and found the generator on the coach running. It had been running for about a hour. I went and shut it off and checked the setup on the panel and nothing was set to start. Just wondering if anyone else has had this Onan spook start their generator before or if mine is the only one?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2015, 02:26 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Bill, I believe I have read that here. Try the Google irv2 search at the top of the page. Same title. It will give you the links to all the discussions on here about the problem. Good luck!
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:31 PM   #3

Our generator did that once on a previous coach. It did not have automatic start capabilities. The inside of the on-generator start switch was rusty and filled with crud.

Matt B
Old 04-28-2015, 02:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
Hi,
I have owned a Phaton for two years now and have never tried to use the automatic gen start feature on the coach. Yesterday I was sitting in the house and heard a motor running. I just thought it was a neighbor with his truck running. My wife went outside and found the generator on the coach running. It had been running for about a hour. I went and shut it off and checked the setup on the panel and nothing was set to start. Just wondering if anyone else has had this Onan spook start their generator before or if mine is the only one?
I had that happen on my Winnebago Journey in Florida this year, I don't have the auto start on the unit but woke up PO'ed wondering who the heck had something running at 2am, oh it was me!! ain't done it again since. Ghosts!
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Generator start on it's own

Happened to our Newmar 2 weeks ago. Ran about 8 hours.
3 days later talking to a gentleman with a Damon and his had just ran 2 weeks at a storage lot till it ran out of fuel.
I added dielectric grease to remote start cable connection and added a switch guard so critters could not turn it on under hood.

Searching will show this to be a pretty common issue.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:09 PM   #6

The connector on the PS of the generator has been linked to "auto starts" for many years when it gets wet. Critters are also a possibility.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:45 PM   #7

http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Telephone-Coupler-RevA.pdf

This is a fix to your generator starting on its own.
Hope this information helps
David 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
The connector on the PS of the generator has been linked to "auto starts" for many years when it gets wet. Critters are also a possibility.
Just for some related humor. Our old mh does not have auto start and never started on its own, but was startled awake one night with the sound of the gen starter and startup. There is a toggle start switch on the dash located where the cats jump upon the dash to get in their beds. One of the felines managed to depress this switch.
What made it especially unnerving was our location, miles away from civilization, at the end of a Forest Service road in the dead of a very dark night.
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator