Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2020, 02:08 PM   #1

Genset Battery

I have a 2011 Zephyr that the diesel genset will not turn over when the house battery voltage is 12.5 or below. I can bridge the batteries to the engine batteries and it will turn over and start. I can charge the house batteries 12.6 or above and it will turn over and start.

I have a 12.5KW Onan genset.

I have new AGM house batteries....I had the same problem before replacing the batteries.

All battery cables have been removed and ends cleaned as have the connecting hardware.

I am out of ideas as to why it will not turn over.....All suggestions are appreciated.

Has anyone mounted a separate genset battery? If so, where? And what wiring is required, if any, so that the battery stays charged while connected to shore power &/or running down the road?

Thanks in advance.
Flying_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2020, 04:08 PM   #2

Three thoughts.

1, Install a battery up near the generator, parrellel with the house batteries. It will charge along with the house batteries.

2, Add a relay that closes the boost solenoid when you hit the start switch of the generator.

3, Swap the generator cable to the chassis battery.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:54 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Is this a new problem, or just start. How long have you owned the Zephyr.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:53 AM   #4

I have owned it for about 2 years. This an ongoing issue I have been trying to resolve. I am out of ideas.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:46 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I have the same problem on my Zephyr. Yours is newer then mine. My understanding is that an additional battery cable in parallel from the house battery to the generator fixes the problem. If you don't want to go that route, an option is to install a battery in the generator compartment. You didn't say weather the generator will start with the engine running without the boost switch. Mine does. Check the Tiffin forum, I think that's where I found about the battery cable. You just can't use autostart the way it is. Hope this helps.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:03 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
To clarify, tiffinrvnetwork.com forum. This is a good source for Tiffin owners.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:24 AM   #7

…..so the symptom is no starting---the cause is what????....if not some sort of design issue particular to that model of coach [eg small gauge cable?], think I would confirm the cable end on the genset is secure and be checked for corrosion?????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:44 AM   #8

this is just a thought that may or may not apply. a 12KW diesel generator is going to require a significant amount of starting amps. you say you have new batteries but are what type are they? if they are true deep cycle batteries that may not be able to provide the starting amps that the generator needs. using the boost switch connects the engine starting battery which is what is probably providing the starting amps.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:53 AM   #9

Gees--I wonder how many amps the leveling jacks or diesel engine takes????? Trust me, a 12k genset ain't that big????????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:46 PM   #10

I had the same issue with my 08 42 qrp Allegro Bus. I ended up installing a dedicated start battery. On the firewall, you will see jumper posts. Take the generator cables off there and attach a new starter battery. I have seen it done under the stairs, in the DS front bay and the PS front compartment. I opted for the DS front which required drilling a small hole to pass the start cables through. Starts right up now.

2008 42 QRP Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
psean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:44 AM   #11

What battery box did you use for the dedicated Genset battery?
Old 12-13-2020, 07:04 AM   #12

First of all, I want to apologize for the long delay in responding.....I just now saw your message.

I used a battery box from Artec, model #OP3407 (https://www.artecindustries.com/opgroup34r). It fit the Optima Group 34 Blue Top like a glove.

I mounted in on the front driver side firewall and used the stock battery cable off the genset to connect.

I also installed an Amp-L-Start (LSL Products / LSLProducts.com - Problem-Solving Gear & Gadgets) to maintain the battery. It has worked flawless.

I am happy to report this solved ALL of my starting issues. The genset will bust off in a heartbeat now. The issue all along seemed to be that the genset was not receiving enough voltage/amps to start from the house batteries.

Thank you to everyone that offered suggestions. They were all appreciated.

Tags
battery