Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2014, 05:06 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Getting the fridge out

I have an Allegro RED 38QBA and I am going to take out the Norcold and put in a Samsung RF197. With some disassembly, it looks like I can get them through the front door, but was wondering is anyone has done this. Thanks for your replies.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2014, 05:38 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Larry,

I haven't done it but from reading posts from other Tiffin owners I think most of them have had to remove a window to get the old refrigerator out and the new one in. Check it out on the Tiffin RV Network.

Tiffin RV Network

Good luck,

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:42 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to phredsee
While at the Tiffin factory we elected to do the same and they removed the driver side front window.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #4

I just posted a long reply to your question, but I don't see it anywhere. I never tried a reply and probably did something wrong. To quickly answer your question, it will go through the door after removing the PS seat, center console, screen door, and the map door in front of the pax seat. You will have only about 3/8" of clearance with all doors, etc. removed. A lot of work is also required to get the fridge opening tall enough for the Samsung.

Drcom
2010 RED QBA
drcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcom View Post
I just posted a long reply to your question, but I don't see it anywhere. I never tried a reply and probably did something wrong. To quickly answer your question, it will go through the door after removing the PS seat, center console, screen door, and the map door in front of the pax seat. You will have only about 3/8" of clearance with all doors, etc. removed. A lot of work is also required to get the fridge opening tall enough for the Samsung. Drcom 2010 RED QBA
Sorry that you lost you response, but you pretty much answered my question. It looked like it would just fit. Anyway my windshield cracked, so when the dealer replaces it, I am going to have them remove the Norcold and set the new fridge inside the coach. I will install it and do the carpentry. BTW I did not want to lower the platform floor, so I looked around and found a Fisher & Paykel unit that is only 67" tall and will just fit without lowering the floor.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #6
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
.......................BTW I did not want to lower the platform floor, so I looked around and found a Fisher & Paykel unit that is only 67" tall and will just fit without lowering the floor.
Are you going to be able to reach the back of the new reefer top shelf whn installed? If so, you must be pretty tall.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:11 PM   #7

I just removed our old dometic after eighteen years of service it finally gave up. After removing it from the cabinet I layer it in a tarp and removed the cooling unit there are some screws in the freezer that Hevesy to be removed and several on the back along with disconnecting the wires. With the cooling unit off it was twenty three inches deep without the doors it fit out the door of our coach. We don't have the same coach as you so some measuring may be in order.
A little time consuming but worth it cold beverages and hard ice cream woohoo. We also found that if you don't open the doors it can go for a couple of hours without power so we travel two hours them run the generator for one hour so far this seems to work ok haven't tried it in temps over eighty yet though.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:12 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i believe your door width is the same as ours 24" or very close to it
so you just need to take off the doors and cooling unit and it will "pass" go slow as it is a just fit
our norcold foam was also full of water and it was HEAVY, so we removed the foam and as much of the wet stuff as possible

my samsung i had to remove the doors and shelves plus the water line cover off the back to get it to the 23.75" that would allow it come through the front door

i had a handle inside the door way that stuck out, it had to be removed then re-installed

i also pulled the pin on the door stop so it would fold back 180 degrees out of the way
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Are you going to be able to reach the back of the new reefer top shelf whn installed? If so, you must be pretty tall.
I'm 6'1". I plan to put the beer up there, to keep it away from the DW.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Last week I had the dealer remove the Norcold while the windshield was out and set the new Fisher & Paykel refrigerator inside the coach. I spent all weekend installing it, and it came out great. The top shelf is a little high, but my DW @ 5' 6" can reach it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1168.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	61087  
Old 04-21-2014, 08:15 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Great job, Larry. It looks professional.

Don't forget to develop a plan for securing the doors and drawer for travel.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm glad that my DW doesn't read these forums. After looking at your completed work I'm sure she would be bugging me to replace ours.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Great job, Larry. It looks professional.

Don't forget to develop a plan for securing the doors and drawer for travel.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thanks Richard. The bottom freezer seems like it has enough closing force to stay shut, but I may just put a bumper in front of it to "test" it under travel. The doors definitely need something. I will probably go the Velcro route for now, but in looking at what they do in the new MHs, I see that they are putting the same latches that they use on the drawers. I wonder if that extra tug required will get old, or if it will be more convenient than to have to velcro it before (and during) travel.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
You da man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Last week I had the dealer remove the Norcold while the windshield was out and set the new Fisher & Paykel refrigerator inside the coach. I spent all weekend installing it, and it came out great. The top shelf is a little high, but my DW @ 5' 6" can reach it.
Larry, it appears that you did a fantastic job with the install! Looks great. good job

Tags
fridge