Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2021, 10:17 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Girard awning issue, LED lights flickering, CB antenna issue

2021 Tiffin Red 37PA

Main Girard awning does not work. The LED does not come on either. Looking at the schematics there is a 10 amp fuse but I cannot locate it. Called Tiffin and they don't know either. Called Girard and they are closed for the entire week for 4th of July at the Red Bay location.

Anyone know where this fuse is is located?

I do not have any blown fuses or tripped breakers in any of the three locations (under driver seat storage compartment, battery bay, rear bedroom closet).

Bedroom lights look like strobes when dimmed. Happens on both shore and generator power. Any ideas?

CB radio antenna (factory installed) still not working. If I cannot figure it out I guess I will have to replace it all. I put a magnet mount antenna on my car and hooked it up to my radio and all worked good. My radio is a nice Cobra Presidential model and it tells you when there is an antenna issue so you don't burn up the radio. Tiffin mounted antenna it indicates and issue. My magnet antenna on my car, it shows no issue.

I am still under warranty but Red Bay is a long way from Orlando and my dealer is in Fort Myers which is also 3 hours away so nothing quick and easy.

TIA for ideas
Adam1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2021, 05:15 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The fuse is in line, just behind the Girrard in/out switch. Unscrew the 4 screws and carefully pull out the wiring and you will see it. It also could be a bad switch or a loose wire connection.
Brianb131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:33 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianb131 View Post
The fuse is in line, just behind the Girrard in/out switch. Unscrew the 4 screws and carefully pull out the wiring and you will see it. It also could be a bad switch or a loose wire connection.
I did remove the controller/switch box and the only inline fuse is a 1 amp that is marked 'antenna'.
Old 07-08-2021, 05:51 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Call Tiffin Tech Support (256-356-0261). They are a great help.
They start work at about 6:30AM, so call early before they get busy.

My issue was the awning would go out but not back in. It turned out my awning issue was a know issue caused by a wire in the awning wiring harness that was to thin to carry the proper voltage. They had a simple fix with printed instructions.
Brianb131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:25 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianb131 View Post
Call Tiffin Tech Support (256-356-0261). They are a great help.
They start work at about 6:30AM, so call early before they get busy.

My issue was the awning would go out but not back in. It turned out my awning issue was a know issue caused by a wire in the awning wiring harness that was to thin to carry the proper voltage. They had a simple fix with printed instructions.
I called them last week and they said they had no idea. I had checked everything and told me to call Girard. Girard is closed all week.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:31 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
photos

I removed the cover and the control module (98GC781B) for the GG750 model awning. I could not see much so I removed the entire side. There was a lot of wiring but I could not locate a wire with an inline fuse except for the small 1-amp inline marked antenna. Under the driver seat storage bay the Spyder control system resides. There is a light which indicates whether the awnings may be opened or not. A green light indicates ok to open which I think is part of the ignition monitoring. The green light is on indicating the awning is ready. The door awning awning operates fine and LED works but it's not connected or operated by the control module. It's control is on the touch pad at the door through the Spyder system.

The main GG750 awning will not operate nor will the LED strip light work.

It makes sense for the 10 amp inline fuse but I cannot locate one and Tiffin says there is not one.

Old 07-08-2021, 02:42 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
More troubleshooting

I found the wiring schematic online for the 98GC781B Girard awning controller.

I went over to my motorhome (at the storage lot, I'm in a stupid HOA and no RV's allowed). I used my multi-tester to see if the main power line was supplying power to the controller and it was. So there is not a power issue to the controller. I called Girard (California location is open but not Red Bay) and this time I spoke with a helpful person. I explained the situation. He asked me to remove the LED positive wire from the controller and apply a direct 12 volt power source to it and see if the LED light comes on. I wired the positive LED wire to the positive wire coming into the controller (which I already confirmed had 12.86 volts). The LED light strip on the awning came on. He said if the LED light comes on when I apply 12 volts to it and the awning does not then the controller is bad and needs to be replaced. So I think I found the problem. I sent an email to Tiffin requesting a replacement under warranty. The part cost is $225.00 without warranty.

I hope I can get the part soon and that fixes my awning problem. I always wonder how something that is so new or never used can be bad already.

I'm still troubleshooting the CB antenna and flickering LED lights when dimmed.
Old 07-08-2021, 02:54 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1219 View Post
I'm still troubleshooting the CB antenna and flickering LED lights when dimmed.
On your CB antenna, did the radio say it was shorted or give any other message? It's possible the SWRs are out of range which can damage a radio and that was the warning. The SWRs can be adjusted at the antenna by lengthening or shortening the antenna.

As for the lights, we had that happen with our main ceiling lights. One of the LED bulbs went bad causing the whole string to flicker. Tiffin replaced the four lights under warranty.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 02:59 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
On your CB antenna, did the radio say it was shorted or give any other message? It's possible the SWRs are out of range which can damage a radio and that was the warning. The SWRs can be adjusted at the antenna by lengthening or shortening the antenna.

As for the lights, we had that happen with our main ceiling lights. One of the LED bulbs went bad causing the whole string to flicker. Tiffin replaced the four lights under warranty.
The LED lights only flicker (strobe) when using the dimmer to dim them. As far as the CB radio I have a Cobra Presidential model. It indicates the antenna has an issue when I key up on the mic. It's not burned out but if I use the Tiffin antenna it will eventually. The SWR is off the chart but with the radio already telling me there is an antenna issue there is no sense in trying to work on the SWR level. It's either bad coax, bad coax plug or there is a ground issue. I was told Tiffin puts in a metal plate on the roof and then grounds the plate. I don't know where that ground wire is grounded or if the plate installation information I was given is true yet.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:05 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Ground plate wiring location

When Tiffin installs an antenna on the fiberglass roof I was told they first put down a metal plate and ground it. Does anyone know where they normally run the ground?

2021 Tiffin Allegro Red 37PA

TIA
Old 07-09-2021, 10:19 PM   #11

Gerard Awning issue

I recently had issue with awning that would not go out. I unplugged awning controller for 5 mins. It worked for me. A friend also had an awning that would work and reset his GFI breakers. That worked for him
fresno1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 04:21 PM   #12

I have a 2014 tiffin allegro 45 LP main awning would not go out, local service repair company said motor was bad, replaced (thankful I had an extended warranty
($1900.00) took them 3 separate times to get it adjusted correctly, now awning fabric is loose and when it rains it sags bad I have to go up and push the water off before retracting. Any easy way to tighten fabric ? hate to take it back don't really trust them to fix it right especially since we are leaving for a month long trip out west end of July and don't want to have problems causing delays. One other local service company said it cannot be tightened needs replaced but they are 4-5 weeks out - didn't have that issue before motor was replaced
Old 07-10-2021, 04:28 PM   #13

I have same issue with my cobra changed firestick antenna w/ new recalculated sw'rs all in range all readings good
took radio out had radio checked by local shop said he could talk to the moon not a radio problem can sometimes hear others but seems nobody can hear me used to drive semis in early 70's so familiar w/ cb's..... cannot figure this one out
Old 07-10-2021, 09:07 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Antenna light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepsparky View Post
I have same issue with my cobra changed firestick antenna w/ new recalculated sw'rs all in range all readings good
took radio out had radio checked by local shop said he could talk to the moon not a radio problem can sometimes hear others but seems nobody can hear me used to drive semis in early 70's so familiar w/ cb's..... cannot figure this one out
Do you have an antenna light under the transmit light on your radio?
When I key up both lights come on indicating I have an antenna issue.

Tags
antenna, awning, led, light, lights