Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2021, 07:35 PM   #1

Girard Awning Remotes Won't Work

I have talked to several people with Girard. No one has an answer.
I have 2 wireless remotes to control the Girard awning. I have replaced the batteries. I have also just replaced the control box located in the basement area. The awning will not respond to either remote unless I open the bay door and point it at the controller. The new controller is acting the same way as the old one. Because of this problem, I think the wind sensor will not retract the awning since it also uses a wireless sensor.
Does anyone have a clue as to what happened? 2 years w/o issues.
harbottle is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2021, 08:17 PM   #2

FWIW, I have seen this exact issue discussed either on this forum or the Tiffin forum. The last I remember, the OP never resolved the issue, but I will try to find the topic.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:37 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A question…..does the Girard system go thru the Spyder system. I had trouble with the trimark door lock push button panel. Turned out to be a bad connection on a Spyder panel in the basement.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 10:12 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to the Forum!

I found this post which should help in understanding the operation. Not sure what model awning you have? 110VDC or 12VDC operation?

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/gir...or-454532.html

I might recommend reading up on the Girade manual:

https://www.girardgroupcompanies.com...owners-manuals

This is not all of the manuals. Peruse the rest of the site for other models not listed.

Disappointing Girade could not help. Wonder if Calling Tiffin letting them know the issue you have with Girade might help? Either Tiffin might have someone that could help or recommend the right person over at Girade to help. I’m sure the relationships are there. Like everything else, who you know and then getting to them.

Your post leads me to believe you only have one awning, therefore one controller, which you replaced. Just confirming you do not have two awnings, therefore two controllers. If two, did you replace the right one and does the other awning work with the remote?

Wireless (RF) is magic. Some of the way this magic works contributes to these type issues.

According to the above 2019 post, the inside switches go thru the GC6 panel and on to the controller. Part of what you are experiencing could be that the controller appears to be a transmitter in itself. If true, the remote just mimics the controller. Point the remote directly at the awning motor. Some remotes emit narrow RF beams. I realize opening the basement door makes no logical sense, but the magic comes into play here. If pointing directly at the awning motor is not sufficient enough operation for you, then, since it appears the wireless receiver is in the motor, that might be suspect. With the probable cost of the motor, a wait until you could visit the California or Red Bay Service centers would be an option.

Some other ideas would be potential interference. I have seen this more than once. Do you exhibit the issue at different motor home locations?

A long stretch could be interference coming from something inside the coach itself. Disabling all other remote devices by removing batteries would be a start. Then, disabling all other DC and AC power sources, less the awning motor, would be the next step. (Be careful here if you disconnect batteries as the inverter might have special instructions) I recommend disabling all devices all at once, as interference can come from two or more items “mixing” together. Back to the magic.

From what I can tell from the manual, assuming you are not using an anemometer, your motion sensor is not wireless and part of the awning. I just use a broom to push on the awning enough to simulate wind activating the sensor.

If you would, let us know what you come up with……..

Tags
awning, remote