Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #1

Does anyone have any tricks to remove the glass lenses on the overhead halogen lights? I have a new 2008 40' Allegro bus, and cannot remove any of the overhead light lenses. I asked a dealer and got a lot of mumbling, but nothing I could use. I know they're supposed to turn counter clockwise, but I can only turn an occasional (1 in 15) cover.

2008 Allegro Bus 40'
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #2

Does anyone have any tricks to remove the glass lenses on the overhead halogen lights? I have a new 2008 40' Allegro bus, and cannot remove any of the overhead light lenses. I asked a dealer and got a lot of mumbling, but nothing I could use. I know they're supposed to turn counter clockwise, but I can only turn an occasional (1 in 15) cover.

2008 Allegro Bus 40'
Old 03-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
They are snug, but I actually went through ours removing a couple as soon as I got it to see how to remove them.

One trick might be to use a rubber type bottle lid opener to help with the grip. You're right about them simply turning left to loosen, but they are tricky to grip.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:34 PM   #4

Don't touch with bare hands, will shorten life considerable from oils from your hand.
alpinerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:27 PM   #5

I have at least one tip I can share on how to BREAK the little retaining tabs if anyone wants to know that useless bit of info.
rotts4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:27 PM   #6

As you can see, I asked this question quite a quite ago. My wife finally found a solution for me after we watched the technicians at Red Bay break a lens with a pair of channel lock pliers. They didn't know how to do it either.

She got one of these at a local grocery store, but I found them at Camping World too. http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...m?skunum=36195

You need to use it with the narrow edge up toward the lens, and ours needed to be spread a bit wider to get it around the outer edge. Push upward hard, and squeeze. Once the lens is gripped a simple ccw turn removes it without a problem. I've removed about 25 light lenses so far without a hitch. It even doubles as a jar opener, so DW doesn't make me keep it in the tool box. LOL

We're replacing the halogen bulbs with LED's.

John
Old 05-09-2008, 02:43 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
That tool looks like it would do the trick.

Of course, I shouldn't call it a tool, or else you will have to store it in your toolbox.

Just curious, what LED light did you find to replace the 10 watt halogen bulbs and how is the brightness. I had looked around a little bit for options a few weeks ago, but didn't find anything with comparable brightness. The only LED direct Bi-Pin replacements were like the ones below, but only rated at 655 lux compared to about 3700 for the halogens.

LED's might really be of interest to anyone who does any boondocking. The high quantity of halogens in the bus do consume a good bit of energy as well as create heat
Old 05-09-2008, 01:14 PM   #8

Joe, I found these, 35263, and they seem to do the trick. http://www.ledlight.com/detail.aspx?ID=305 I tried both white and warm white and like the warm white better. The white is way too much toward the blue end of the spectrum for us.

I also tried the 43243's and did not find them bright enough. http://www.ledlight.com/detail.aspx?ID=226 The LEDs definitely give a different color to the wood interiors. I haven't had a chance to get the good ammeter on either yet but power use should be around 10% of the halogens. Now I'm looking for replacement LED's for the 921 (18W) bulbs used in the sconces, over the table and in the bathroom.

John
Old 05-10-2008, 03:41 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Great idea for removing the halogen lens. I also have used a mini rubber strap wrench which I got at wally-mart.

RE: LED, have you done tailights yet? Has anyone been successfull with bright enough bulbs for that?

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 05:41 PM   #10

Lenny, I probably won't bother with the stop/tail/clearance/running lights. We boondock a lot, up to 14 days at a time, so my real concern is power consumption when stopped. I'm also gathering information on how to put the audio/visual, satellite TV and Internet systems on a separate inverter and battery set. We did that on our previous diesel Bounder and found it worked very well.

John
Old 05-13-2008, 05:27 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pigman:
Joe, I found these, 35263, and they seem to do the trick. http://www.ledlight.com/detail.aspx?ID=305 I tried both white and warm white and like the warm white better. The white is way too much toward the blue end of the spectrum for us.

I also tried the 43243's and did not find them bright enough. http://www.ledlight.com/detail.aspx?ID=226 The LEDs definitely give a different color to the wood interiors. I haven't had a chance to get the good ammeter on either yet but power use should be around 10% of the halogens. Now I'm looking for replacement LED's for the 921 (18W) bulbs used in the sconces, over the table and in the bathroom.

John </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like the looks of those John. I might just have to try some out myself.

Did you happen to try out the 85529, 110 Lumen version? I was wondering if just installing them in the center row of lights might just eliminating needing to use the two outer rows when not connected to shore power.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:28 AM   #12

No Joe. I didn't try that one. I need to replace 41 ceiling lights so I was working on the cheaper rather more costly ones first. I'm still looking for the bathroom and sconces. They're currently carrying an 18W wedge base and I haven't found anything that would work yet.

John
Old 05-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Pigman, have you found any that replace those 1076 bulbs used inside most coaches?
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:51 AM   #14

Bob, no I haven't but then again I wasn't looking for them either. The folks at LED Light at http://www.ledlight.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=6 seem to have as good a selection and price as any I've found. I'd suggest a rummage around there and see if anything looks like it might work. I haven't found any place that gives a good comparison between filament bulbs and LED's. Guess it's because they're such different beasts.

I have found that when I order one or two units to compare I can usually use it somewhere as long as I can steal a piece of my wife's aluminum foil to make a reflector.

Good luck in your search.
John