Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2021, 10:36 AM   #1

Handling issues

While we were driving home from Houston with our new to us coach, we were getting blown around quite a bit by passing trucks and cross winds. We thought about getting a Safe T Plus to help. According to the build sheet I got from Tiffin, the coach had Summo springs installed at the factory.

While lubing our steps this weekend I had my head under the coach. Lo and behold we already have a Safe T Plus! Now I have to figure out why we were getting pushed around so much. Right now my thinking is the tires may have been overinflated. I bought a tire gauge at Love's on our way home and it was reading from 105-110 cold. I probably should have let some air out then. I had asked the dealer to inflate to 95, but had no way to check. Even 95 was probably too much considering the coach was essentially empty.

It's raining today, so I won't be crawling under, but now I wonder what other suspension mods were made by the previous owner. The dealer was no help when I asked these things prior to purchase. Not even sure I know what to look for.

Is it possible for the Safe T Plus to need some kind of adjustment?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2021, 10:51 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What the model do you have for a.chassis Ford chey. Diesel pusher? Sound like a gas coach
oh no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:54 AM   #3

If your coach is tracking straight down the road, no adjustment is needed for safe-t-plus. If it is not tracking straight, a small adjustment may be needed. Safe-t-plus has good videos on how to to adjustment.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:55 AM   #4

It's the Ford F53 chassis. Yes it's a gasser.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:55 PM   #5

Have you ever driven a class A motorhome before? Gas units all get blown around by large heavy trucks. Your coach just doesn't have the weight to fight off the wind blast from these much heavier vehicles.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:58 PM   #6

I cured most of the truck passing movement with larger anti sway bars.

You can try the CHF to see if that helps.

Look up CHF on this site and read more then you would want to know.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:58 PM   #7

I run my front tires at 92psi and my back tires at 89psi cold tire pressure, determined by weighing with my fuel tank full, and waste/grey tanks half full and a 1/3 full water tank, loaded for travel (not much) then consulting the Michelin tire charts and adding safety factor of about 4-5psi. Any lower than that and it feels spongy. At 105psi and I'm ready for the dentist after a few hours. For what its worth, I have had two dealers ignore my request for the lower pressures as a policy matter.

In addition to the suspension upgrades you have, I also have a rear track bar which greatly helps with passing trucks and the dreaded 85mph tour bus.

Cross-winds are more comfortable than when I first purchase new however, really bad and consistent crosswinds can still be unnerving and I usually just slow down. There is lots of advice on here and the F53 chassis forum for suspension mods. I'm really happy with mine. I also replaced my stock shocks with Koni's for my chassis model.

Also, this:

"Have you ever driven a class A motorhome before? Gas units all get blown around by large heavy trucks. Your coach just doesn't have the weight to fight off the wind blast from these much heavier vehicles."

Likely true for crosswinds too.

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:28 PM   #8

Welcome to the world of driving something as aerodynamic as a saltine cracker box on wheels. There may be some room for improvement but you will never get the handling of a high end sports car.
You can spend thousands of dollars trying to improve the handling but if you can't accept your MH is a terrible handling box going down the highway you will never be satisfied.
Spend a half millions on a high end diesel pusher and you'll have a smooth straight shooting machine.
If you are willing to spend 5-600 dollars on a rear track bar which consists of about 40 dollars worth of parts you might see some improvement.
Do the Cheap handling fix (CHF) if it hasn't been done before and live with what you have.
Don't plan any 400 mile days.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaRVGazer View Post
I run my front tires at 92psi and my back tires at 89psi cold tire pressure, determined by weighing with my fuel tank full, and waste/grey tanks half full and a 1/3 full water tank, loaded for travel (not much) then consulting the Michelin tire charts and adding safety factor of about 4-5psi. Any lower than that and it feels spongy. At 105psi and I'm ready for the dentist after a few hours. For what its worth, I have had two dealers ignore my request for the lower pressures as a policy matter.

In addition to the suspension upgrades you have, I also have a rear track bar which greatly helps with passing trucks and the dreaded 85mph tour bus.

Cross-winds are more comfortable than when I first purchase new however, really bad and consistent crosswinds can still be unnerving and I usually just slow down. There is lots of advice on here and the F53 chassis forum for suspension mods. I'm really happy with mine. I also replaced my stock shocks with Koni's for my chassis model.

Also, this:

"Have you ever driven a class A motorhome before? Gas units all get blown around by large heavy trucks. Your coach just doesn't have the weight to fight off the wind blast from these much heavier vehicles."

Likely true for crosswinds too.

Paul
Thanks. Based on your tire pressures mine are way too high, especially considering it was almost completely unloaded.

We've only had the coach for just over 2 weeks. It's our first RV. I'm not sure I would know if a track bar was added or if the CHF was done. The shocks appear to be stock.

I just watched the installation video on Safe-T-Plus.com. It's being installed on an F53 and looks like a Tiffin. The brackets used on that installation are different than mine. Is there some way to tell if the installation on my coach was done properly? Since we're taking it in to have our bedroom slide issue fixed, maybe I'll have them look at all the suspension stuff as well.

My experience driving a Class A was limited to doing a few test drives. I have driven Class C coaches about 5,000 miles and don't recall being pushed around so much, even though some of them were 32+ feet.

All my driving was done at speeds between 60-65 or less. I sure don't expect this to handle like a sports car, but I was hoping to not have to make near constant steering corrections even on flat roads with no wind or trucks.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:33 PM   #10

Check the sway bar bushings to make sure they are in good shape, if not the sway bar can freely move left to right and will provide very limited assistance. Try running with a full tank of fresh water and see if the extra weight at the bottom of the coach helps act as a ballast to offset part of the push/pull effect of trucks passing.
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:53 AM   #11

Try the cheaper adjustments first. The CHF only costs a little sweat. A front end alignment may be necessary if the coach doesn't track well. A track bar stops most of the tail wag from passing semis. Enjoy your Tiffin.

Lloyd and Jann
Winger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:59 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Tire Pressure

Tire air pressure is critical.
Weigh you coach, front axle then rear axle. Look up the recommended tire pressure on the website for the brand and model of you tires. Then set the pressure accordingly. Every tire manufacturer has that info available. It made a big difference on our previous coach and I will be doing that on our new one
Old 05-11-2021, 12:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donskiman View Post
I was hoping to not have to make near constant steering corrections even on flat roads with no wind or trucks.

As stated above, this condition is caused by having the tires over inflated. Take the coach, loaded for a trip with the fresh water tank full, to a truck stop that has a CAT SCALE and get it weighed by front and rear axle. Then use the tire manufacturer load charts to determine your optimum weight for the load your carrying and add 10% for a safety factor.