Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #1

Have 04 Allegro 35DA. Anyone have burnt spark plug wire issues

Spent much time on workhorse forum. Some people have issues as to the dog box getting too hot and melting the rear sparkplug wires.

Is this an issue that I might encounter?

thanks
anderson2624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I have an 04 Allegro 32BA and yes, this is an issue that you may encounter. It can be caused by two things. First, the air dam that Workhorse installed to direct air into the engine space rather than over it must be in place and functional. If not, too much air goes over the engine and hurts cooling. Second is a Tiffin issue. The grill on the 04's is just not large enough. You can see by later models that Tiffin must have realized the problem and changed the grill area to have much larger opening.

About a year or so after we bought our rig, the number 7 plug...last one towards the rear on the drivers side, burned and caused my engine to go into limp mode. To fix it, I fashioned a DIY cold air kit that runs air from the grill and back to the plugs on both sides of the block, specifically the # 7 on the left and the # 8 on the right. It solved the problem for the last 40k miles.

You may never experience the problem but I did as did others and the fix is real easy. Hope this helps.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't lose a lot of sleep unless you find it occuring on your particular coach.

You can do a simple test to see if rear plug wires are damaged. I bought an inexpensive infra-red temp sensor. After driving for no longer than 8-10 minutes, remove doghouse cover and aim at base of rear plugs.[ The cast iron, not the shields.] Any low readings would suggest that plug not working at optimum. Pull that wire [via the boot] and inspect. BTW: longer drive would make discernable temp difficult from the long exposure to higher temps throughout the engine block.

Twice-a-year checks would suffice if you are a weekend traveller. I really don't think you will likely have a problem. Just do a little monitoring & you will have your answer. Temp sensor also can do double duty for fridge, tires and stud finding in the coach.
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #4

I have not tried to open the dog house YET. Bought a temp gun. Looking at the carpet I found one phillips head screw... think there are more than one?
anderson2624 is offline   Reply With Quote