Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2021, 10:08 PM   #1

Headlight Upgrade 2020 Tiffin Open Road 36UA

Wondering if anyone has upgraded their headlights on the 2020 platform?

We don't drive much at night but when we do. We find the headlights to be very dim. This is not an electrical issue.

I'd like to know if anyone has the same experience..
DLOJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2021, 10:22 PM   #2

Don't know about yours.. but many members here post.. that voltage is too low at headlights.. so you have to test volts at bulb connection and see if that is it.. it's simple and cheap.. if you are like may of us.. you can go 2 ways if you find volts too low.. 1 wire in relays.. not hard but time consuming.. if you never done it.. or 2 Google headlights relay kits.. and plug and play.. I ordered mine from LMCT. or LMC TRUCK.COM good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 10-15-2021, 06:12 AM   #3

Prior poster is correct, but even if you get full voltage to the halogen bulbs the lighting is going to be lackluster. One problem is that Tiffin uses inexpensive aftermarket headlight assemblies in the Open Road. The design is Toyota Sienna minivan circa 2015, but the part, at least in my unit, is TYC. TYC is a Taiwan based maker of cheap aftermarket crash replacement and upgrade (term used loosely…) lighting assemblies.

Your 36UA headlights use an H11 bulb for the low beams. A quick and easy upgrade is to swap in a more powerful LED “bulb.” There are many choices from Amazon, etc, but be careful not to purchase something too cheap - it either won’t last or the optics will be so poor you won’t get any more light on the road. I recall folks saying they were satisfied with products from “Cougar Motors.” Probably most of these come out of the same factory in China…

I used something called the Morimoto 2 stroke from an outfit named The Retrofit Source. It’s about the most expensive option at roughly $200 for a pair of LED bulb assemblies. But it does the best job of mimicking the light output and beam pattern of a halogen bulb, so the light is on the road and not glaring into oncoming traffic. The headlights have improved from unusable to reasonable. Still don’t love driving a 13 ton coach in the dark, but at least you now have some idea what’s up front.

Installation is about a 15 minute job, if you’ve never done anything like it before.

One last thought. Tiffin didn’t aim my headlights. One was pointing down at the ground a few feet in front of the coach. Adjusting it to the same reach as the other light made a big difference. Just don’t get too enthusiastic and blind oncoming traffic. There’s a screw adjustment to raise or lower the low beam. I don’t recall for certain, but I think it takes a 5mm Allen key to adjust.
Shadow5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:45 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5501 View Post
Prior poster is correct, but even if you get full voltage to the halogen bulbs the lighting is going to be lackluster. One problem is that Tiffin uses inexpensive aftermarket headlight assemblies in the Open Road. The design is Toyota Sienna minivan circa 2015, but the part, at least in my unit, is TYC. TYC is a Taiwan based maker of cheap aftermarket crash replacement and upgrade (term used loosely…) lighting assemblies.

Your 36UA headlights use an H11 bulb for the low beams. A quick and easy upgrade is to swap in a more powerful LED “bulb.” There are many choices from Amazon, etc, but be careful not to purchase something too cheap - it either won’t last or the optics will be so poor you won’t get any more light on the road. I recall folks saying they were satisfied with products from “Cougar Motors.” Probably most of these come out of the same factory in China…

I used something called the Morimoto 2 stroke from an outfit named The Retrofit Source. It’s about the most expensive option at roughly $200 for a pair of LED bulb assemblies. But it does the best job of mimicking the light output and beam pattern of a halogen bulb, so the light is on the road and not glaring into oncoming traffic. The headlights have improved from unusable to reasonable. Still don’t love driving a 13 ton coach in the dark, but at least you now have some idea what’s up front.

Installation is about a 15 minute job, if you’ve never done anything like it before.

One last thought. Tiffin didn’t aim my headlights. One was pointing down at the ground a few feet in front of the coach. Adjusting it to the same reach as the other light made a big difference. Just don’t get too enthusiastic and blind oncoming traffic. There’s a screw adjustment to raise or lower the low beam. I don’t recall for certain, but I think it takes a 5mm Allen key to adjust.

Agree with the headlight alignment..adjust them before you try anything else.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:21 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree, our lights needed alignment as well. However, the halogens are not very bright and very yellow in color. LED replacements are twice as bright (lumens) and are daylight balanced so much whiter in color. I used the LASFIT LA Plus Series bulbs. I think I got them from Amazon. A very nice improvement but I like to be done driving by Happy Hour! I also use LASFIT bulbs in my jeep.

Laserchrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 04:54 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Headlight upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5501 View Post

Do you have the exact part number and is it for an Open Road 36ua?
Old 01-05-2022, 08:23 AM   #7

I purchased and installed these on our 2018 36UA to replace the low and high beams. Amazing improvement over the standard halogens. I chose these because the beam pattern is adjustable with a locking ring to assure the leds are positioned correctly.

https://www.amazon.com/H11-H9-H8-9005-HB3/dp/B08X4KDBQP

Reasonable price and easy to install.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:27 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
I purchased and installed these on our 2018 36UA to replace the low and high beams. Amazing improvement over the standard halogens. I chose these because the beam pattern is adjustable with a locking ring to assure the leds are positioned correctly.

https://www.amazon.com/H11-H9-H8-9005-HB3/dp/B08X4KDBQP

Reasonable price and easy to install.
I bought these bulbs and I am not sure if one set is for the low beams and one for the high beams? One set has a blue tag on it and the other has a yellow tag?
Old 02-25-2022, 05:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kboucher View Post
I bought these bulbs and I am not sure if one set is for the low beams and one for the high beams? One set has a blue tag on it and the other has a yellow tag?
H11 is low beam and 9005 is high. The mounting tabs and gasket are different on the two, so you can't install them wrong. When you take out the factory bulbs you can match the mounts.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlight, light, tiffin, upgrade