Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2021, 04:12 PM   #1

Headlight Upgrade

Thinking about upgrading headlight bulbs in my 2017 Red 33AA. Has anyone done this and was there a LED upgrade that made a significant improvement? I have only seen 1 YouTube video talking about this upgrade and not a lot of info there, unfortunately.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2021, 10:54 PM   #2

I have an Allegro Bus 2018. I had my headlight and fog lamp bulbs replaced with LEDs in Red Bay. The cost was around $200. The bulbs did improve visibility both ahead and to the sides. I think that the upgrade was worth it. Since you apparently live in Oregon, I doubt that you want to make the trip to Red Bay, but I think that he would be willing to sell the appropriate bulbs with instructions. Let me know if you want the information and I will try to find his number.
BRodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 07:59 AM   #3

An alternate "significant improvement" is to install relays to assure the existing lights receive a full 12 volts. Many motorhomes route headlight power through lots of different areas resulting in significant voltage drop to the headlights.

https://www.americanautowire.com/sho...ncer-relay-kit

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/...ys/relays.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
Thinking about upgrading headlight bulbs in my 2017 Red 33AA. Has anyone done this and was there a LED upgrade that made a significant improvement? I have only seen 1 YouTube video talking about this upgrade and not a lot of info there, unfortunately.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2 Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:43 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Ironically I was just about to post similar questions since I've been thinking about doing the same thing for my 2016 Phaeton 44OH. Though I'm not sure exactly what's involved (i.e. just changing out the bulbs or the need to change the housing) but was uncertain of the parts I need to accomplish it. I doubt this is a difficult thing to do but wondering if anyone has done it themselves on a Tiffin similar to mine that might be able to share the parts and the process they did.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:11 AM   #5

Presently making changes to my pick up lights. Lots of information here. Explains why you can get nasty glare when installing led in a reflector style housing.

Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:02 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Great observation. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
An alternate "significant improvement" is to install relays to assure the existing lights receive a full 12 volts. Many motorhomes route headlight power through lots of different areas resulting in significant voltage drop to the headlights.

ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:18 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentw View Post
Presently making changes to my pick up lights. Lots of information here. Explains why you can get nasty glare when installing led in a reflector style housing.

Thanks lots of information. Though I was aware of some of the pitfuls of today's LED headlight "bulbs" never realized there were so many out there and the different types and the impact of the type of lighting it produces. Now I'm hoping someone can tell me what they might've used successfully in their MH.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:21 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I updated my 2008 Phaeton with LEDs back a little over a year ago. Yes you can make sure you have the correct voltage but I also wanted a whiter color that the LEDs offer compared to halogen. I opted to purchase through Headlight Revolution hoping to get something that mimicked the halogen bulb filament without a scattered light that was bright but not focused. If you go a similar route, the bulb will have a way to adjust how it fits in the headlight housing. I ended up with a pretty decent cutoff and never had oncoming traffic flashing their lights at me.

Tried some of the cheaper bulbs years ago in a motorcycle. They were bright, but did not utilize the reflector in the headlamp properly and ended up with something worse than the standard halogen.
Ohio44718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:50 AM   #9

I've used LEDs in my cars and recently went back to halogens (one of the LEDs died). With enough tinkering you can probably get LEDs to work better, however, I found the high-end halogens like Sylvania Ultras or Philps X-treme Vision are about 85% of what I got from LEDs without the hassles.

Often, when you put in LEDs you have to add resistors or make other changes to get them to play well with the electronics in vehicles.

Mastertech has a couple of videos on YouTube that explain some of the pitfalls of adding LEDs to an RV.
Old 01-01-2022, 10:57 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post

I made this mod to my 2003 Beaver and it made a huge improvement.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 07:37 PM   #11

Thanks all, for your comments. Really gives me some things to think about before I go further.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 09:20 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was not aware until recently that for most there are FOUR levels/grades of bulbs, for one of mine, price varied from $15 to $38 EACH in HALOGEN; higher $$= Brighter; Your Options/ mileage may vary. Good Luck
Old 01-11-2022, 09:49 PM   #13

Successful replacement of headlights

Quote:
I replaced my old stock bulbs with these from Amazon

They include drivers to give the bulb the correct voltage. I wanted to go to RED bay to get replacement bulbs/reflectors, but couldn't make it work.

I was hesitant to make this change, having read all the problems about just replacing the bulbs. however, the improvement is without a doubt worth the money.

Before the change, driving at night was like having candles for headlights. Now, I don't fear driving my rig at night. (I actually love getting up super early, making a cup of coffee, and getting 200 miles down the road while the wife is still sleeping, when we overnight at a roadside park. Totally a new experience for us.)
Old 01-12-2022, 04:47 AM   #14

We have a 2011 Tiffin Allegro Breeze. In addition to properly aiming the headlights, we installed LED driving lamps. The original low beam projector type bulbs by themselves are inadequate for driving a large vehicle at night. On this subject, I believe it was a major mistake for auto, truck, and bus makers to migrate away from the original glass sealed beam headlamps which worked so reliably over the years. These lamps also did not generate the annoying glare which causes one to divert his/her eyes.
SAMPL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlight, light, upgrade