Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2014, 03:46 AM   #1

Heat Pump Question

Had elect heat on last night, but early this morning it didn't want to come on. Outside temp was 50. I thought electric heat pump was good till at least mid 40's. Anyway dog got me up and I turned on reg furnace. Any ideas I haven't checked fuses/circuit breakers yet. Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2014, 03:59 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A heat pump should work even a little below 40. On mine , the furnace came on automatically when the heat pump stopped due to low temps.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:18 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Had our heat pump do the same thing over the weekend. Checked circuit breaker is was good. Turned the thermostat off for about 10 seconds, then back on again and heat pump worked as it should. Guess the thermostat just hiccupped.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:11 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Since you have a 32CA, you are talking about the front unit, correct? And you got the heat pump option on that unit, correct? Your rear A/C does not have a heat pump.

What was the temperature in your MH. We had overnight lows in the fifties and high winds, and our heat pumps never came on last night either. In fact, it is still 70 degrees in here.

Back to your front unit - turn the temperature up and see if it doesn't come on. If you set it much higher than 3-4 degrees above the room temperature, the furnace is likely to turn on. If you still can't get it to run, remove the thermostat cover and check the small fuse. Assuming the fuse is fine, remove it for 5 minutes which will reset the thermostat. Try it again.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:06 AM   #5

Luvlabs - I took cover off thermo and did see a old style glass fuse. It was really tight, so not wanting to break it and possibly mess up the termo I'll wait till after I get home tomorrow to try again on the fuse. Dave
Old 10-15-2014, 02:26 PM   #6

I guess I need to search before I post from now on. Same question was posted 10/12/2014, the propane came on, when their heat pump kicked off. My heat pump just shut off. Dave
Old 10-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You don't have to remove the fuse then! You can also reset the thermostat by turning off the 12V power using the door switch. Sometimes you don't want to do it that way because you can turn off too much stuff at the same time, then you would pull the fuse.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #8

I turned off 12switch and tried heat pump, but still didn't come on. I'll call a local RV tech Monday and see what he thinks. Dave
Old 10-19-2014, 06:19 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Just wondered if you tried it without turning the 12 volt switch back on. The thermostat requires 12 volts. Try setting the heat for no more that three degrees above the inside temperature.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:49 AM   #10

Tried everything that was suggested. Called Tiffin & Coleman warrenty on heatpump unit was over last month, so will try extended warrenty next. Taking rv to local repair guy, who will diagnos problem for $110.00. Camping World locations are all over 75 miles away, so it's cheaper to pay local guy than to waste gas and time going to CW.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro1x View Post
Tried everything that was suggested. Called Tiffin & Coleman warrenty on heatpump unit was over last month, so will try extended warrenty next. Taking rv to local repair guy, who will diagnos problem for $110.00. Camping World locations are all over 75 miles away, so it's cheaper to pay local guy than to waste gas and time going to CW.
Going to CW to get anything fixed is probably a waste of time and money, even if they were a block away. The "local guy" is a much better choice as long as he is qualified.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:59 AM   #12

Problem solved, went to locale rv tech. Checked out system - told me to turn fan from auto to on - system worked and checked out several times. With fan on move to elect heat and system will work faster and get heat pump and gas furnace to work together. Bottom line paid $105.00 for check out and more education. Dave
Old 11-04-2014, 01:27 PM   #13

Something still not correct. The heat pump should run just like the a/c , with the fan on auto. When it calls for heat the fan and compressor should come on at almost the same time. Besides if you leave the fan on "on" you'll get cold drafts with air blowing when not calling for heat. If the temp drops 4 degrees below your "electric heat" set point it will automaticly kick in the propane heater.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #14

Jeepfreak - I would tend to agree with you, but the RV Tech I've used for several years on other RV's checked this out several times and it worked like he said several times when I had it at his shop and watched what he did. The couple of other times I used the elect. heat it wasn't as cold. Dave

Tags
heat pump