RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2016, 05:00 AM   #1

heat pumps are great to have!

Tried to get suburban furnace to come on last night and wouldn't work. Temps in 40's here in Florida. Turned on heat pump set at 70 and got small space heater going to warm floor for dogs. Found RV tech that had website that you could e-mail info to. Now waiting for call or e-mail about svc call. If your ordering a new Tiffin or looking for a used one, think about the heat pump option. Glad I've got one. Dave

allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2016, 09:11 AM   #2

We love ours for sure. We have no concerns about propane usage for heating if we have at least 30 amp service. It is also great to have a back up in the case of furnace failure like you experienced.

Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:39 PM   #3

I think my furnace will work tonight. I had propane tank filled a few days ago, so lines may have had some air in then. Anyway I had propane turned off from last night till around 3pm this afternoon, turned it back on for half hour this afternoon then started furnace and it ran for a half hour till I turned it off. Dave
Old 02-10-2016, 03:46 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I love my heat pumps. Unless the temperature is below 40 or I am boondocking, I always use the heat pumps instead of the furnace. The electricity is usually paid by someone else vs the fuel that I have to pay for myself. Even at home I use the heat pumps rather than furnace because there is no fuel tank to run low on when using heat pumps.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:31 AM   #5

Heat pumps are nice but I. Still tend to use a small ceramic heater. I feel the voltage is always low in parks when everyone is heating their rigs. . Low voltage is bad for the compressor. Also, it's a little noisy. . Some folks prefer the safety of the heat pump. I just be real careful with our little heater.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:52 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Heat pump $600, Portable heater $25

Let's see, which one is cheaper and easier to replace?
Fiesta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Let's see, which one is cheaper and easier to replace?

Hey, using THAT analogy, a tricycle is cheaper than a car, but I think I'll keep my car to go to town!

Love our heat pumps. The furnace doesn't actually kick in on ours until about 34 degrees, but the heat pumps kick out nice warm air until then! We used them for the last three weeks in Florida, and coming back to Kentucky.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've had heat pumps since 1983 in the stick house, and since 2000 in our MH's. They work well under some conditions but if it's too cold they quit working and you need supplemental heat.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:55 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deasnealy View Post
Heat pumps are nice but I. Still tend to use a small ceramic heater. I feel the voltage is always low in parks when everyone is heating their rigs. . Low voltage is bad for the compressor. Also, it's a little noisy. . Some folks prefer the safety of the heat pump. I just be real careful with our little heater.
I avoid low voltage by using my Progressive surge protector all the time. If the voltage drops too low it shuts me down, so I don't ruin anything. If that happens I start the furnace.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:56 AM   #10

Most of the portable heaters I've bought at either Wal-Mart or Home Depot have been in the $18-20 range. Bought MH used and it just had heat pump already on it and a larger generator. If I were ordering a new MH, the extra cost would be something to think about. I have it so I'm using it. Dave
Old 02-14-2016, 04:15 AM   #11

I hear those are good but the price prohibits me from getting them. I bought a meter that plugs in for around 15 dollars and then I just use the $20 heater. I know it may not always work like progressive, but I do not even run the compressors when the meter shows volts going below 110.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:59 AM   #12

If you want to spend a few more $ on heat and cooling comfort, look at the Dyson fans that also have a built in heater function. The one we have is about 2' tall, and maybe an 8 sq in floot print so it doesn't take up much space.

We run it all the time without the heat just for added circulation. And if it gets chilly, you can switch on the heat function, and it will put out a good amount of heat. It seems safer for heat than the cubes to me as well, but I have nothing to base that on.....

They are also very quiet when on, for either just the fan function or when using the heat.

Regards
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro1x View Post
... If your ordering a new Tiffin or looking for a used one, think about the heat pump option. Glad I've got one. Dave...
We have one heat pump and one regular air conditioner. Since we spend the winters on a lot that we own in Titusville, FL we pay for our own electricity. I find that in weather down to 40 degrees it is much more economical to run the heat pump rather than to buy propane or use an electric resistance space heater. However, we do switch over to a space heater on the few cold nights that the temp drops below 40 degrees since the heat pump shuts down and wants to run the propane furnace.

I do wish the thermostat had a way to completely turn off the furnace, though. That way in the morning we could set the thermostat to our daytime temperature in just one setting. As is, we have to bump the thermostat up just a couple degrees at a time. If the setting is more than that above the actual room temperature, the thermostat is programmed to run the furnace.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
gorwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro1x View Post
I think my furnace will work tonight. I had propane tank filled a few days ago, so lines may have had some air in then. Anyway I had propane turned off from last night till around 3pm this afternoon, turned it back on for half hour this afternoon then started furnace and it ran for a half hour till I turned it off. Dave
Often a problem is (1) "stale" LP gas or (2) a regulator freezing up and not allowing enough gas to maintain combustion. LP gas is mixture of Propane and Butane. Summer blends usually have more butane than propane so when winter temperatures come, the regulator freezes up. Topping off with "fresh" gas usually solves the problem.

You also want to be sure critters have not nested in the combustion air intake port. A dirt dauber or spider nest will not allow enough air into the combustion chamber.

Tags
heat, heat pump