Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2022, 07:02 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Heavy AC Power Load-Shore Power Drops Offline?

2016 Phaeton with Magnum Sine Inverter/converter (Model MS2012, I think) with remote panel over Driver's seat. Plugged into RV park 30 amp shore power & all seems OK - Panel shows batteries Float (& sometimes Absorb) charging, 12 to 13 volts, with green lights on PWR, CHG, INV. When "heavy" load, like AC unit, space heater, microwave, etc comes on, CHG drops off & it appears house batteries take the load (again CHG LED goes dark & Panel drops to under 12 volts & LED lights in coach flicker). Load, as shown on the "Power Control Central Monitor Panel" (also over Driver's Seat) shows Line 1 & 2 combined loads well under 30 amps (15 to 25 amps). After a few moments (with the AC device still working), CHG LED goes green again, coach lights stops flickering & all seems well.. I've had the coach over 5 years & this is a new experience. (Note, the majority of the time I have 50 amp service. However, I don't recall having this problem the few times I've been on on 30). Shore Power or Inverter or other issue? Thoughts / suggested remedies? Thx!
JT-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2022, 07:23 PM   #2

How much current are the batteries drawing? Do you have the same issue if the batteries are disconnected from inverter/converter?
Mdb from BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 09:07 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
It sounds to me like you may have a MSH model Magnum Inverter/Charger which features something called “load support”. Load support is used when you are connected to external power, either shore power or generator, and it senses that the current demand on its “pass-thru” output is exceeding the maximum that the external power can provide. The Magnum senses this and instantly shuts down it’s batt charging activity and turns on the Inverter (synchronized to the external power) and the inverter will supply additional current to the load from the 12VDC battery bank.
It’s a pretty cool feature but if you think yours isn’t acting properly it may be mis-programmed. Check the owners manual.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:56 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It appears your system is operating as it should. You have way to many appliances on for a 30 amp service.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 01:37 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Heavy AC Load-Shore Power Drops Off-Line

Thx all. “Load Support” makes sense. Except, to clarify, I do not have all those appliances turned on at the same time. None are on. Just turning on just one of them causes the CHG Indicator to turn off and house battery voltage on the panel to drop as batteries take/share the load. After 10 to 30 seconds (with appliance still on) CHG indicator light goes on again & battery voltage jumps back up to 12 to 13 volts & “float charging” message returns & all seems well. As mentioned, during all of this, the Central Monitor Panel shows total line load well under 30 amps (typically under 20).
Old 09-30-2022, 10:15 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
30 amp

Understand that 50 amp provides two separate 110 volt legs. Out of phase. That’s how you get 220 for some appliance’s. Like the induction cooktop if you have one.

30 amp only provides power on one of the legs. Single phase. So typically some outlets will not have power. Those wired to the second phase. While 30 sounds like more than half of 50, basically it is not. So huge difference. AC’s may not work at all, or maybe one will depending on year of coach.

Hope this helps. Jeff
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkorn View Post
Understand that 50 amp provides two separate 110 volt legs. Out of phase. That’s how you get 220 for some appliance’s. Like the induction cooktop if you have one.

30 amp only provides power on one of the legs. Single phase. So typically some outlets will not have power. Those wired to the second phase. While 30 sounds like more than half of 50, basically it is not. So huge difference. AC’s may not work at all, or maybe one will depending on year of coach.

Hope this helps. Jeff
That doesn't help because with a 30 amp to 50 amp adaptor, both legs are supplied power. The adaptor has a jumper in it for that purpose.

Now you share that single 30 amp leg to both 50 amp legs and everything works, but limited to 30 amps, not 100.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:49 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You also have to take into consideration the actual power coming from the campground pedestal. We were once at a campground in Canada that was supposed to be 30 amp. The campground was crowded and it was hot. The power from the pedestal was not even enough to get thru my EMS.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 03:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
That doesn't help because with a 30 amp to 50 amp adaptor, both legs are supplied power. The adaptor has a jumper in it for that purpose.

Agree.

Now you share that single 30 amp leg to both 50 amp legs and everything works, but limited to 30 amps, not 100.
However, a 50 amp source is just that; it's not 50 amps per leg for a total of 100 amps.
Old 09-30-2022, 03:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamKVA View Post
However, a 50 amp source is just that; it's not 50 amps per leg for a total of 100 amps.
Actually, it is 50 per leg for a total of 100 unless someone has done some creative alterations.
SteveJ. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ. View Post
Actually, it is 50 per leg for a total of 100 unless someone has done some creative alterations.
Mathematically, you are correct as a 50 amp circuit breaker is rated for each pole to trip at 50 amps. However, when one pole trips, the bridged/total breaker trips. Therefore, it's pretty unlikely you would ever get to 100 amps current draw even if the campground was capable of delivering it which in my experience, is also unlikely.

Sam
Old 10-01-2022, 07:09 AM   #12

The Power Control Panel is doing that and what you observing is normal. Their website has a good explanation of its operation. I saw the same thing a few months back when I had an issue with my air conditioner and found the information on the website.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 01:01 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
I stand corrected ………

We are in the coach today. So I disconnected the 50 amp and connected to 30. Our coach is highly automated so watching the led panel I could see how it shed then reconnected items. Finally the aquahot electric heater came back on and I ran the middle heat pump successfully. And yes I could see amperage on both legs. Didn’t test floor heat but computer seems to prioritize what gets power when.
This probably doesn’t help older rigs but I did test our 2021. Jeff
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 01:26 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Looks like GaryKK got the answer on this one. Yes, it was an excessive power drain issue, but on the SHORE POWER side. At my next campground, I plugged into 30amp service & no issues. So, I think the campground where I first had the problem (Gary-coincidentally in Canada-haha) wasn't delivering 30 amps - Possibly because Hurricane Fiona had passed by the day before, causing havoc with the power grid. Bottom line - Nothing wrong with my RV Inverter / power control systems! Thanks All!

Tags
power, shore power