RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #1

Help educate me! 2018 Phaeton 40 IH operations

My wife and I are in the process of purchasing a 2018 Phaeton 40 IH (inspection was yesterday, but haven't received the report). This will be our first coach, and we are purchasing from an individual out of state. I'm nervous because I won't have the benefit of the dealer teaching me how to operate the coach.

Where is the best place for me to learn everything from A-Z. We've been on test drives of several coaches, but the salesman was always doing it or telling me what to do! The seller will give me some instruction, but I wanted to get a head start on learning the operations. As far as the size, I have no concern with driving the coach (was in the Army and drove a bus for my church). Everything else, however, I want to learn the right way to do everything.

Suggestions please!

dmnoirot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2019, 12:11 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would think the seller would be willing to spend a couple of hours with you considering the $$ you will be giving them. Take a video and a lot of notes on what he or she tells you.
Or find a Tiffin owner near you that would be willing to help.
[moderator edit]

garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 04:31 PM   #3

Spend lots of time reading and researching in iRV2 and the Tiffin RV Network. Watch lots of YouTube videos. Look at everything on your coach one piece at a time. If you don't know what it is, what it does, or why it's there, then research until you find out. You'll be an expert in no time.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
The seller should spend a fair amount of time with your going over all systems. Take copious notes.

U-Tube is also your friend.

Good luck.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:02 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
As others have stated, the prior owner should be able to spend several hours with you going over systems. There's a HUGE binder of manuals/owners guides/DVD's/flash drives that come with the coach. The owner should give you that. Read everything in it. I'm still going through what came with ours purchased 2 months ago.

Go over the inspection report carefully. If there are any issues, you may use them to negotiate with the seller.

The Tiffin Owner's Forum here has lots of info: read, read, read. Post questions there & fellow owners will help you.

If you aren't handy, locate your nearest Cummins service center, nearest PowerGlide service center & find a good independent to service any house issues you might have.

Keep us posted!

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:59 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
You can also get a head start by going to the Tiffin web site to download the manual, to get the basics, before you take delivery and get access to the full bag of manuals.

https://tiffinmotorhomes.com/resources/owners-manual

It's a learning process that will take some time, but focus on the basics, and the rest will come in time.

Enjoy the process and the coach.

Dale
DP76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:53 AM   #7

we don't know your location so i won't advertise for any dealerships...
but,
the walkthrough guy/ PDI guy at many dealerships would be a great source of info...

if there is a respected dealer near you .... or near the seller, call and inquire about their tech does that walkthroughs..

if he has a good reputation, i'll be he'd love to earn some $$ on an off day,
showing you the ropes.

this also applies to your inspector.... ask him, "could i give you $xxx.00 to spend a day with me and my coach... he's already seen it once... this is my first
vote.
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:23 AM   #8

We are on our 4th coach, and have had our 40 IH for a year now and are still learning things about its systems. I agree with the other posts, read and research. The Tiffin provided information bundle is a good start.

This is our first Tiffin after being loyal to Winnebago. We have not been disappointed in the quality, features, or service.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:37 PM   #9

If the original owner will go through everything with you or you hire someone to show you everything, have your wife video everything. The manual will tell you a lot but not everything that prior experience will show you. It will be information overload so a video would be great to go back and review. Iím on my third Tiffin but while the PDI tech was showing me how to switch from cable TV to satellite, my mind was still processing how to drain the water heater.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:49 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Don't treat an RV like you would a army bus or school bus. You will spend a lot of time in RV shops fixing the exterior of your rv and no telling what else.

Treat them gently and you will spend more time enjoying your new coach and less time in RV repair shops.

Bruce
Old 06-24-2019, 11:29 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
If the previous owner is knowledgeable it may be an advantage over purchasing from a dealer. Most RV sales people know just enough to get by where an owner has taken the coach out and operated all the systems.
Get the previous owners cell phone and ask if it's okay to call for advice. Then take your new coach camping and enjoy it while you learn!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:38 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the 40 IH club... We have the same rig, 2018 40 IH. We got ours little less then a month ago. Still learning all about what makes her tick. Lt. Dan has a ton of pictures from his actual 2017 40 IH build that are really helpful if you are trying to track down the routing of plumbing and cables. This forum is really a great resource as you can already tell. So ask away and hopefully we can answer all your questions.

BoeingSWTech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, phaeton