Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2022, 07:33 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Help! No power!!

I have a 2020 Bus. I have a 50 amp shore power hookup at home. All was fine until a couple of days ago. All of a sudden the entire coach is dead. Shore power enters the surge protector fine, exits fine. The surge protector has an audible hum to it (is that normal?). From there I just donít know. It must go to a switch of some sort to send the power to 12v and 115v applications. The inverter is not receiving any power either. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
frogpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2022, 07:42 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
What you call a surge protector is actually your transfer switch. You will need to have this replaced as it sounds like it is not switching the power from in the line in to the coach.

Quick test - up plug the coach (or turn off the breaker at the pedestal) and start the generator. If everything works, then you need to replace the transfer switch. The transfer switch's default position is to power the coach with generator power so no power has to be switched.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:49 PM   #3
YC1

Entire coach dead indicates the loss of charging/shoreline because most lights are 12 volts and the charger/converter/inverter has the job of charging 12 volts and supplying 12 volt systems.

Try starting the coach. IF the engine batteries are not down and it starts give it a couple of minutes and I suspect the coach will light up. No pun intended.

If the coach runs, try starting the generator while the engine is running.

If the generator starts, shut the main engine down. See if your microwave is lit up because it needs 110 volts.

The problem could be the lack of shoreline getting to the transfer switch and running the generator will supply that IF the transfer switch is working as it should.

It can be a bit tricky getting the generator to start IF the house batteries are dead and the generator is connected to them versus the engine batteries.

If you can get the big engine running and the generator will not turn over, push the emergency start button and hold it for a couple of minutes and prop it on is even better.

If the generator starts things may beging to come alive as mentioned but it will take some time for the house batteries to recover. It can easily take four hours to bring them up if dead.

Hopefully this will get you headed in the right direction.

I am assuming you have used a voltmeter on the actual shoreline outlet to start.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:56 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, I see good voltage in and out of switch. So, what is labeled surge suppressor is the transfer switch?
Old 09-12-2022, 08:39 PM   #5
YC1

Is your microwave lit?
If so, power is getting through the transfer panel and you need to check all your AC breakers in case the one that feeds the inverter/charger has tripped.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:06 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Check out the power page in your Spyder owner's manual. There are good explanations of the power flow and how to determine what's on and what's not.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:24 PM   #7

Do you have a surge suppressor before the Autotransfer switch?
AllegroD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:06 AM   #8

As I understand your post, The power comes into the coach, goes into the transfer switch, then leaves the transfer switch and then you are lost as to what to check next. You need to check the Magnum inverter/charger to see if it is working. These have a breaker/overload button that's sometimes hard to find. Ours is mounted on the roof of one of the storage bays, but don't know where yours is located. (To know what you are looking for, go to Amazon and look up Magnum Inverter/Charger for pictures.) Magnum also has good service folks who can help you diagnose your unit. Been there done that.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:57 AM   #9

Go check your fuse box back in your rear closet. Should be a 50 amp ems circuit breaker. See if that is tripped. If not trip and reset. Went through the same experience on a 2016 phaeton. Eventually had to replace the circuit breaker.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
What you call a surge protector is actually your transfer switch. You will need to have this replaced as it sounds like it is not switching the power from in the line in to the coach.

Quick test - up plug the coach (or turn off the breaker at the pedestal) and start the generator. If everything works, then you need to replace the transfer switch. The transfer switch's default position is to power the coach with generator power so no power has to be switched.
Transfers switch's do not default to generator.

They have priority, but only switch after the generator is running and stabilized it's power output. The ATS has a delay before switching to generator.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 11:00 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks!

Boy, these are all great suggestions! I'm at work now, but I will certainly follow up on these as soon as I get home.
Old 09-14-2022, 07:49 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Sigh

I tried your suggestions. No luck. I donít understand how I have good voltage coming out of the ATS, and nothing in the coach. I couldnít find any reset for the inverter.
Old 09-14-2022, 08:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogpond View Post
I tried your suggestions. No luck. I donít understand how I have good voltage coming out of the ATS, and nothing in the coach. I couldnít find any reset for the inverter.
Interesting. The RVC module for our Magnum inverter/charger recently went bad which caused it to shut down. This also caused all of the batteries to drain down so I didn't notice it until it was time to start the engine for a trip. I needed to go through the reset procedures in the Magnum manuals to get everything back up after disconnecting and ultimately replacing the RVC. However, as long as we were connected to shore/generator power, everything was fine. Obviously, no A/C power once we were driving unless the generator was running. I really don't think that's your problem as the inverter should go into bypass mode when shore/generator power is available.

Maybe bad connections are dropping current so much nothing will run but that's a tough test since nothing will run so you can test current draw. Voltage isn't everything.

Sam
Old 09-14-2022, 09:23 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi frogpond. Can you help me understand a few things? First, you say that you are looking at something labeled “surge protector” that you now assume is actually the Automatic Transfer Switch, are there any other labels with a manufacturer's name and/or a model number that could be used to nail down what you are looking at? Can you post a picture?
You also say that you have checked and verified that you have voltage coming into and leaving the transfer switch (if that’s what it actually is). Can you explain exactly how you measured it? Did you use a meter? Did you remove the cover from the surge protector or ATS (or whatever it is) and measure with a meter directly on the input/output terminals?
If you do indeed have voltage on both legs at the output of the ATS then you next need to check for voltage at the main breaker panel. The most likely site of the problem is a loose connection between the ATS and the main breaker or the dual 50 amp main breaker itself.
Archer2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
no power, power