Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2022, 09:53 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Hitch question

Hi - Does anyone know who makes the rear hitch on an Allegro 34TGA? Tiffin told me it was Kurt (yes, with a K). I don't find them anywhere and Curt doesn't seem to have the same model. Tiffin also told me p/n 5022339, but the description is 10,000 lb hitch and the RV is only rated for 5,000.

I can get it from Tiffin, but the shipping charges will likely be around $175 - 200.

Thanks for any help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2022, 11:43 AM   #2

It might very well be a 10,000# rated hitch that would fit your coach, however, you would still just have a 5,000# towing capacity. The towing capacity will be the lessor of the coach or hitch rating. I replaced a 10K hitch with a 15K from Tiffin after they approved the towing upgrade for my coach. They sent me the hitch.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 12:12 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OP,
You saying you bought a $90K MH without a hitch ?

I reinforced my hitch like this, as we regularly tow 8K#, counting the trailer and classic car.
2 x 2 x 1/4" angle and grd 8 bolts

Mike in Colorado
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	377518  
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 01:22 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
No. I have a hitch. It is damaged and needs to be replaced. And yes, I understand that the limit is based on engine, transmission, GVWR, etc. I'm not looking to tow more weight. 5K is good for me.

I just want to know if the part is available elsewhere or is it custom made for Tiffin?
Old 09-28-2022, 01:28 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How is it damaged ?
Got pictures ?
Mine was damaged when we bought the coach.
It was 6" to the left.
Dealer used a "Port-a power" and a come along to push it back to center.
I reinforced it as soon as we got home.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:09 PM   #6
PKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by eprman1 View Post
-- snip -- I just want to know if the part is available elsewhere or is it custom made for Tiffin?
So, call E-trailer, Curt and your local truck repair and fabrication shops. It should not take long to define a solution that is cost effective for you.

Research universal receiver hitches. They often are generic and can be welded or bolted on your coach. The existing hitch likely has bolt on plates to mount the hitch. If they are not damaged, Curt may have a generic that will work with those plates.

The local fab shop can likely repair or modify as you need to meet your requirements.

Note - what you lose by going to an alternative vendor, is the design expertise of Tiffin. At $100-$200 an hour for machine shop or fabrication skills, your bill for custom work may grow faster than you want for this application, so go slow until you know.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 02:34 PM   #7

Buy the 10k hitch, our Tiffin Red had a 5,000sticker placed over the 10,000 pound sticker
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 09:18 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Here is a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0637.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	377775  
Old 10-02-2022, 09:28 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
NevadaNick - Thanks. That's what I figured. It makes sense from a manufacturing point of view to only have one part financially, and you don't install the wrong one. I just wasn't confident in the answers I was getting from Tiffin.

I'm have no idea what happened. I just noticed the tow bar slanted when I went to hook up for a return trip home. I did not notice any problems on the trip there. Fortunately the DW was with me. She got to drive the tow car home.

I have checked all weights and I am within the limits, even weighing the tow vehicle on highway scales. (Got some dirty looks from the officers on duty).

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:36 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Here is a picture.
Once the hitch is off, it would be easy for a welder to just replace the tube. They're easy to find.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 06:32 PM   #11

Haven’t looked at our Tiffin, but my Newmar had a manufacturer part number on it. Took a bit of looking to find it though.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:45 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Here is a picture.
Really good to catch that before it became a big problem for you on the highway. I'm not an expert in towing, but when we bought our tow bar and I did some online research, I seem to recall a maximum vertical offset allowed from the receiver to anchor point on the towed vehicle. My guess is you already know this, but just wondering if you may have exceeded the offset and placed undue force downward. If not, and everything was in tolerance, it may be worth the effort to continue researching a receiver from a different manufacturer.
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 11:17 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm assuming the picture should be rotated 90 degrees to the right and the cracks are on the bottom.
That took one heck of a tongue load to crack both sides, OR one very sloppy hitch insert. I always weld a couple of "buttons" at the end that inserts to take the side to side, and top to bottom slop out of the insert that carries the ball.

They certainly did not use a "U" bolt hitch stabilizer.

The good news is that your hitch can be pulled back together and welded by any competent welding shop. They could even add a reinforcing band at the end. This would cost a whole lot less than replacing the whole hitch, AND having it mounted.
I've done it on lots of farm equipment the takes a whole lot of abuse.

Also, in the future, please use a hitch stabilizer to tighten up the joint !!!!!

Mike in Colorado
Old 10-04-2022, 10:33 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, cracks are at the bottom.

I did use a U-bolt stabilizer. I have been using the same set-up for 6 years without a problem and the previous RV owner used it for three years. Yes, were both pulling the same type car.

I removed the hitch and brought it to several weld shops for an estimate. No one had seen this before. The only explanations offered were that I backed into something, which I know I didn't because where I park it the ladder would have been crushed first and there are no marks on the tow bar. Or that I tried to move in reverse with the parking brake applied in the toad. I'm sure I didn't do that. I never go in reverse with the tow bar/toad attached.

Tags
hitch