Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2019, 10:56 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Holding tank area access

I need to get into the area where the holding tanks are located in order to access the mounting block bolts for the nylon slide out glides. It appears that what is needed is to remove the two screws from each of four angle plates holding the outer panel on. Is it that easy? Also, any thing I should know about the glide replacement other than placing a jack under the arm to carry the weight when the plate is removed. It all seems pretty easy and straight forward although I was quoted $400 by a local RV shop. As usual, thanks in advance for the great advice.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Removing the access panel is pretty easy. There will be four angle brackets, two on each side with two screws each. The right ones are easy to get to. The back ones need a thin screwdriver and put some masking tape along the edges of the panels to prevent chipping the paint. The panel is not heavy, but easier to handle by two people. The gravity fill hose is just attached with a hose clamp.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:52 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Lt Dan is absolutely correct on this. I asked the same question quite a while ago he was nice enough to advise me on the same thing. If you don't have help I would certainly add supports under the panel to allow you to remove the screws without it sliding and causing problems.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:31 PM   #4

Great info but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Removing the access panel is pretty easy. There will be four angle brackets, two on each side with two screws each. The right ones are easy to get to. The back ones need a thin screwdriver and put some masking tape along the edges of the panels to prevent chipping the paint. The panel is not heavy, but easier to handle by two people. The gravity fill hose is just attached with a hose clamp.
The detailed description gave me confidence to tackle same problem with my 2015 Allegro Red 33AA but it turned out that after I had the 4 sets of screws remove from the holding brackets that those bracket were glued down to the wall underneath and couldn't be removed without risking significant damage. Another case of a design concept with poor implementation at the factory.
Joachim47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:22 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim47 View Post
The detailed description gave me confidence to tackle same problem with my 2015 Allegro Red 33AA but it turned out that after I had the 4 sets of screws remove from the holding brackets that those bracket were glued down to the wall underneath and couldn't be removed without risking significant damage. Another case of a design concept with poor implementation at the factory.
They shouldn't be glued but they do spray paint the areas around the bays and put sealant under the trim pieces before they put the bay doors on. It's possible the paint or sealant was not fully dry when they put the panel on and is just acting like it was glued.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:38 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
When I removed the panel on mine, it at first would not come off and I thought I had missed some screws. After assuring the screws were all removed I gave the panel a sharp pull on the forward end by the cargo compartment and it came free. It appeared to me that the brackets had been screwed to the body frame before the paint had cured, in effect gluing the brackets and some of the gasket to the frame. After the forward end was free the rear came off easily so have a good grasp on the panel.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:29 PM   #7

Great info but ...

THX for the response to my concern with disassembling the panel from the chassis to get access to the black tank spray nozzle. I didn't attempt the forced approach that seemed to be needed but used a sprayer inserted through the toilet bowl with some success. The next owner will have to contend with this issue since I just sold the unit off at a substantial loss but freeing me up from reoccurring headaches these RVs seem to provide on a regular basis.

I want to thank all the great contributor to the course of RVing helping in particular us novices out in a big way to overcome many obstacles on the road to become more seasoned and relaxed in the process.
Joachim47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank