Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2018, 06:37 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Holding tank sensors in 36LA

Are the tank sensors on the inside or outside of the black and grey tanks?
I think I am not getting an accurate reading in my 2014 36LA.
Anybody have trouble with them? If so, how did you correct the problem?
(Thanks!)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2018, 06:48 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9adw View Post
(Thanks!)
They are mounted on the outside of the tank. They will be three small plastic squares connected together with wiring attached with double sided tape. They should be at the 1/3, 2/3 and Full positions on the tanks but quite often they are not in the correct spots.

What kind of inaccurate readings are you getting?
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:31 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sensors are Outside of tanks in my 2014 36LA. Mine have been messed up every since I overfilled the grey water tank. Tiffin service center tried a new set of sensors and got the same readings. So we all guessed there was something stuck to the inside sidewall of the tank and it will eventually come loose and then my original sensors will start reading correctly. Mine show a reading of 1/3 full after emptying the tank. My Black water tank sensors work good. They are outside of the tank but not sure how easily they can be reached.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #4

You could try the Geo method to see if the sensors will clean up and read correctly. Could just be crud on the inside of the tank.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:42 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Also I have seen a couple with failed double-sided mounting tape that was supposed to hold them on the exterior of the tank. If one falls off, it can stick or hang somewhere and if it is against something that will absorb the sonar pulse, it will show as that sensor having water at or above its location. My fresh tank has worked perfectly. The grey and black tanks have failed miserably. I found some stout double-sided tape, re-mounted the sensors (not that hard to reach but does take a little effort) and completely solved the problem. Something stuck to the inside of the tank should really not influence these sensors, they just need a solid contact with the tank to properly conduct sound used for measurement.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:10 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Tampa Traveler Send a message via MSN to Tampa Traveler Send a message via Yahoo to Tampa Traveler
When ours first read incorrectly, I poured Pine-Sol down the stool and all is well now.
Tiffin- 2016 Allegro Open Road 32SA (SOLD)
Tampa Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:56 PM   #7

It is kind of funny I don't have the slightest idea if mine are accurate or not I have never looked. Over many years of RVing I have a good idea of our usage and know when to dump. The gauges are notorious for not being accurate and I would never trust them. I guess I should look.
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:55 AM   #8

The problem with the sensors is they will activate if there is something (wire, hose, hand, etc.) on the back side. Red Bay fixed most of my problems by installing a block (not a very technical solution) to keep things away from the sensors. They are not good with wire management during builds. I fixed my freshwater sensor by taping the wires out of the way.
DonG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:05 PM   #9

Mine worked well on all three tanks for about the first 2,000 miles then my grey water tank stopped reading after 66% and overfilled. Later, my black water tank stopped reading at 66% but did read full. I accessed the tank sidewalls and sensors by opening the wet basement door and looking up between the tanks and side wall of the MH.

Two of the sensors had fallen off the tank wall. One sensor was pulled off by the weight of unrelated cable wrap tangled in the sensor wiring. Not sure why the other fell off. I cleaned the tank wall at the sensor location and place heavy duty non-metallic duct tape over the sensor and onto the wall. I also untangled the cable wrap and zip tied everything in place.

While in there I found two wire nuts that had come loose on two unrelated connections and the stranded copper wire loosely twisted together with one of the white wires not touching the bundle. I fixed all of that as well.

The sensors work very well now, no problems. The technology seems fine, the workmanship by the people at the factory is extremely poor.

Someone needs to have a come to Jesus meeting with the managers of the electric shop and hydraulic shop respectively.

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:14 PM   #10

Watched the early part of our build last month. Rig finally arrives this week. Was a little distressed to observe that the pressure pads basically have a peel off paper and then quickly stuck to the side of the respective tank. Seemed like there is a great chance of them not holding.

In fact, one was not holding and the guy finally squeezed a little glue from a bottle on that one and stuck it on. I have more faith in that one holding than the others. Very congested area behind the wet bay wall but if you have some dexterity you should be able to reach in there and do some maintenance.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A03630F4-959B-4136-B907-59AB37CDEB72.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	265.6 KB
ID:	221926  
Ddjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:21 PM   #11

When putting the sensors back on the tanks, does it matter which position each sensor is in? Two of my sensors came off and I didn't know if one was the FULL and the other was the 2/3. I suspect it doesn't matter, but thought I would ask.
whciv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Tampa Traveler Send a message via MSN to Tampa Traveler Send a message via Yahoo to Tampa Traveler
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9adw View Post
(Thanks!)

I have only had my '16 32SA for a couple of months. Where is the black and grey tanks located?
Tiffin- 2016 Allegro Open Road 32SA (SOLD)
Tampa Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:05 PM   #13

The tanks run the width of the coach between the wet bay and the fresh water tank. The gray tank is toward the back, then comes the black tank and then a space about a foot wide where a lot of pex and what have you run.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	561399B2-0AF2-45CE-A6A3-6469F8298582.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	302.3 KB
ID:	222557  
Ddjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:48 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by whciv View Post
When putting the sensors back on the tanks, does it matter which position each sensor is in? Two of my sensors came off and I didn't know if one was the FULL and the other was the 2/3. I suspect it doesn't matter, but thought I would ask.
Tank sensors are wired in series. Two of the three have two wires, last one has just one wire in. this one goes near the bottom of the tank. Sensor with connector on one wire. Goes near top of tank. Other one goes in middle.

Go to a good auto parts place or body shop supplies store and get some STRONG double-sided tape. It will stick and stay (but is not permanent in case you do need to replace the sensor set in the future.

Tags
tank