Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #1

Holding Tanks

Hello all
Just took my first trip in my new to me 2014 red 33aa. Sayed at an rv resort for 2 weeks. We stopped for a night at a park and when we left the next morning there was a black tank odor in the coach floating around. It went away after a while. We got to our destination, stayed 2 weeks and had no odors until we left there and the same thing happened. I had emptied the tank once or twice while we were there. I flushed the tank until I saw clear water going thru my clear plastic elbow. About 4 flushes I think. Stopped back at the same place for another one night and when I left the next morning I flushed thoroughly again and got the same odor for about 2 hours. More so in the back of the coach. I have had the coach for a year and have never noticed anything before like maybe lack of maintenance from prior owner. He hardly used it. I know about keeping the valves closed and ample water in the tank. Used some blue liquid tank product also. Thanks.
mr builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2018, 06:59 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We are newbies so take it for what it's worth. We have had the occasional issue traveling down the road and every time its because we have left a fantastic vent open or cracked. Its never a problem until I open the drivers window to smoke a cigarette (I know, nasty habit and pray I quit soon) which draws all of the air in the coach out the drivers window along with the stinky smell. It's always been fixed when the darling wife goes to the back of the coach and closes the vents. I hope this helps.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:09 PM   #3
PKI

Different system, but we get the smell when the sewer hose is open and the toilet is also open. That gives you an open circuit all the way through and the gas vents into the coach.

Solution - do not flush the toilet. Use an external water flushing system.

If your coach does not have an external circuit, form a p-trap in your dump hose. Dump the black tank. Then close valve and dump the grey water. That washes the hose and provides some cleaner water for the p-trap. Then close the grey valve and open the black. Flush for as long as you wish. The p-trap in the hose will block to back flow of sewer gas from the campground sewer connection. Then close the black valve and elevate your hose to empty the p-trap. Usually takes two or three lifts. Then open the grey valve and let the water run through a sink to fill the hose with clean water. Close the valve and dump the p-trap by lifting and finally un-hook the clear plastic section. Raise it, collapse the hose to push out residual water and then store all. That seems to work a bit better.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Unless you have the bathroom fan on when you flush the toilet, your smell is not from the black tank.

The gray tank can breed some nasty smells and it also has vents that can leak to the inside of the coach - these are called AAVs (air admittance valves). Their purpose is to provide air after water when you run water or drain the sinks. They can release odors back into the coach especially if you have a vent open or are running an exhaust fan. AAVs are located in the cabinet below any sink and are mounted towards the top of the cabinet. Replacements can be found in any Home Depot, Lowes or your favorite plumbing supply.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #5

Thanks for the helpful replies. Im thinking gray tank also. I replaced the vent cap under the kitchen sink already (home depot) as it drained slowly. I am going to simple green the gray tank with water, hit the black tank with some ice cubes, dawn dish soap and water then take a drive, dump and flush. I also question the design of the vent on the roof. Looks like it can force air down the vent pipes pressurizing the tanks which cant be good. Thanks again for the help.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:06 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Does it have a washer/dryer? If the p-trap for that is dry, you'll get grey tank odor in your coach. Been there, smelled that smell.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:05 PM   #7

Thank you for mentioning the washer p trap. We did a load of wash every other day while on our trip so I think the trap stayed full. I was getting a slight odor inside the rv garage until I put some simple green into the gray tank now no more odors. Thanks again.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:36 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr builder View Post
Hello all
Just took my first trip in my new to me 2014 red 33aa. Sayed at an rv resort for 2 weeks. We stopped for a night at a park and when we left the next morning there was a black tank odor in the coach floating around. It went away after a while. We got to our destination, stayed 2 weeks and had no odors until we left there and the same thing happened. I had emptied the tank once or twice while we were there. I flushed the tank until I saw clear water going thru my clear plastic elbow. About 4 flushes I think. Stopped back at the same place for another one night and when I left the next morning I flushed thoroughly again and got the same odor for about 2 hours. More so in the back of the coach. I have had the coach for a year and have never noticed anything before like maybe lack of maintenance from prior owner. He hardly used it. I know about keeping the valves closed and ample water in the tank. Used some blue liquid tank product also. Thanks.

Beyond the other good answers you received try Happy Camper in both waste tanks.

www.happycampersworld.com
Bobbystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:44 AM   #9

Water is your friend. And lots of it.

We experienced a similar problem with our 34 QFA. We solved it by lots and lots of rinsing while hooked up to sewer system at a camp ground. Then I filled up the tanks about 1/2 way and added about 1/2 a cup of liquid dish soap, then hit the road and drove for a few hours. At the next site, I hooked up to the sewer system and dumped everything and rinsed well. After doing this twice, the smells went away and have not returned. We purchased ours used, and I think that the previous owners did not fully rinse the tanks. Until we used this process, all that the "de-stinkums" did was to mask the smells for a while.

When dumping, I use lots and lots of water for rinsing the tanks.

Good luck

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:01 PM   #10

Thank you for your feedback. Tank odors are no fun and all the suggestions here have been very helpful. I am adding a no fuss flush to my gray tank this weekend. Thanks again!

Tags
tank