Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2021, 03:23 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Holding Tanks

Hello all. It would appear that I have some type of leak going on in my black tank. There is a strong odor of sewage when we travel even with a small amount of fluid in the tank. Also when I was back flushing it I filled it almost full and when I released the valve it leaked all over the place. Has anyone taken apart the wet bay to gain access to the plumbing ? Any advice or videos that show the process ? I have a 2010 Tiffin Allegro Bus. Thanks

2010 Allegro Bus 43QRP
glsponchos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2021, 03:51 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
If the tank didn't leak until you released the valve then it's probably not the tank that's leaking. It sounds like either the valve or one of the pipes after the valve is what is leaking. Check the four bolts on the valve to make sure they haven't loosened up.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 06:54 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
If the tank didn't leak until you released the valve then it's probably not the tank that's leaking. It sounds like either the valve or one of the pipes after the valve is what is leaking. Check the four bolts on the valve to make sure they haven't loosened up.

All the leakage came from behind the white partition Looked like it was from above the valve height. I also believe it’s in the piping but have to remove the partition to see what’s back there. Just wondered if anyone had done so and had any advice. It looks straight forward but there are a lot of connections on the partition that have to be addressed

2010 Allegro Bus 43QRP
Old 09-07-2021, 09:54 PM   #4

Two places for the stinky to enter; the toilet seal isn't and the vent system is malfunctioning. I think there is a check valve somewhere in the vent; maybe it's not working properly.
Firedog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsponchos View Post
Hello all. It would appear that I have some type of leak going on in my black tank. There is a strong odor of sewage when we travel even with a small amount of fluid in the tank. Also when I was back flushing it I filled it almost full and when I released the valve it leaked all over the place. Has anyone taken apart the wet bay to gain access to the plumbing ? Any advice or videos that show the process ? I have a 2010 Tiffin Allegro Bus. Thanks
Back Flushing...water leaking
Do you mean water ran back out connection when you disconnected the hose at the Flushing connections?
It is suppose to....

Smell when traveling
Could be Vent issue
Could be from Grey tank via Air Admittance Valve on sink drain line
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:08 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Back Flushing...water leaking

Do you mean water ran back out connection when you disconnected the hose at the Flushing connections?

It is suppose to....

Smell when traveling

Could be Vent issue

Could be from Grey tank via Air Admittance Valve on sink drain line

After I back filled my black tank, I opened the black valve to drain. Water began flowing from above the valve level The source was behind the white partition, ie back wall of the wet bay. I’m going to have to remove that to see what’s going on I assume it’s some part of the plumbing. I haven’t let my black tank get that full again since the occurrence I’m assuming it still leaking given the smell. Will be off the road soon and will look into it. Thanks for everyone’s two cents

2010 Allegro Bus 43QRP
Old 09-14-2021, 03:57 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin has had some issues with the flexible drain hose leaking typically gray water. I know on my hookups on both black and gray tanks are not pretty and look as if a rookie installed them but they are factory. They are sealed good but I check them at annual maintenance. You should be able to see the top on both tanks from the panel on the passenger side. It is a screw-on panel. You can see from his picture the pipes enter at an angle.

Crusingator published a gold mine of information - It's been a great resource even for my 2011 Bus 40QXP.

Crusingator's Files

http://www.tiffinrvnetwork.com/crusi...od/MOD-112.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 5.51.03 PM.png
Views:	33
Size:	605.9 KB
ID:	343092  
2021 GMC Canyon Denali
DiddyPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:16 PM   #8

On my 2012 Allegro Bus, I'm 3rd owner. Anytime we would flush, or drain the black water tank we got the sewage smell. After months of the wife and I flushing the toilets and narrowing down where the smell was coming from.
We found the culprit, behind the dryer were the black and grey water PVC roof vent pipes.
Apparently at the factory, the 90 elbow was not glued on properly and had a hole about the size of your pinky nail in elbow. We cut the pvc and reglue the elbow and problem solved!!!
We just flushed the toilets and narrowed down the general location and found the hole /leak in the vent pipe. Hope this helps.
Crj400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:23 PM   #9

Find the location of the black tank vent and other roof penetrations. We had a problem that traveling at speed created a low pressure and the black tank fumes were entering through a open roof vent. Closed roof vent when traveling, would also enter through an open window.
augerdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:26 PM   #10

I had a similar problem with smells and fixed it by replacing all the air admittance valves. 5 on my QTH. Previous owner had covered one with a baggie and rubber band. One for the shower was a pain to reach.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:10 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I had a similar issue with sewage smell while travelling and found it to be the p-trap for my washer/dryer combo which we had removed was dry and thus allowing the smell to enter the coach. Capped the drain pipe since we were not using it and the smell went away. Good luck.
riverat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsponchos View Post
After I back filled my black tank, I opened the black valve to drain. Water began flowing from above the valve level The source was behind the white partition, ie back wall of the wet bay. I’m going to have to remove that to see what’s going on I assume it’s some part of the plumbing. I haven’t let my black tank get that full again since the occurrence I’m assuming it still leaking given the smell. Will be off the road soon and will look into it. Thanks for everyone’s two cents
If it was tank side of drain valve or the tank it would leak even with drain valve closed

If the leak occurs when you open drain valve then it has to be on downstream side of valve (flange/bolts) or drain line after the valve
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:40 PM   #13

We had this on our delivery trip from Mississippi to Montana.
Was 2 things. The water valve behind the toilet was leaking ( a cheap plastic thing ) and also the seal/O ring that goes in the floor where the toilet goes down into the tank was not placed correctly and not sealing.
It was a long stinky trip...
The new Valve Kit included a new O Ring , so $30odd dollars fixed both problems
Good luck
Rodsrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank