Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Hopeful Tiffin owners - Phaeton 40 QKH questions

Happy New Year!

We have been researching buying an RV for nearly a year and are almost ready to pull the trigger. We have made our way through starting off wanting a class C (until we sat in the driver and passenger seats and realized that we would not be comfortable driving one for long trips), to a gas class A, to a diesel pusher. We almost settled on the Red QBA, but are concerned about weight limits. We will be traveling as a family of 6 and all of our stuff, and so want a larger chassis. We looked at the Newmar 3943, and liked it, but the floorplan doesn't fulfill all of our wishlist (it has a chair instead of loveseat, fewer seatbelts, no kitchen or bathroom window). We love the layout of the 38QBA, but don't want to use up every last scrap of CCC, or be over. So, we have moved on to a Phaeton! We have our financing in place, but are just being as sure as we can before pulling the trigger so we are taking our time with our final decision.

So that's our story.

Here are our questions, if someone would be so kind as to respond:

-Are there any pictures of the 40QKH that someone can point us to? We can't find any online, and the 2011 Tiffin brochure doesn't show the QKH other than floorplan.

-Does anyone know the UVW and the CCC/NCC of the Phaeton QKH? Or an educated guess?

-The floorplan diagram on the Tiffin website doesn't show any windows on the driver's side slide in the front. I find this hard to believe, and believe the diagram to be flawed, but can anyone who has seen one confirm that there are windows there?

-Also, is there any storage under the midship TV or beside the fridge (other models show some storage in either, or both locations, but the diagram doesn't show any in the QKH - again hoping that is an error as I'd like more food storage and with a floorplan aimed at families...)

-Are there curtains on the bunks, or drawers underneath? Or doors like the 38 QBA?

-Does the rear King bed option mean that the bedside tables are omitted?

-What does the tub IPO shower option look like?

-What brand/model of system is the demand hot water system that is an option?

- We'd love to know what other models of the 2010/2011 Phaeton have as far as UVW/CCC.

I have contacted Tiffin but we are so impatient, and wanting to know as much as possible as soon as possible - any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks for a great site and the great posts we have browsed so far!

T+B
terapin-bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin has a virtual tour to the 2011 Phaeton on line that shows lots of windows on both sides. You can also look at all the interior items at the same time. Click Here Tiffin Motorhomes

I might add that we have enjoyed our Phaeton and hopefully you will find yours to be as reliable and satisfying.

Good luck.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:30 AM   #3
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by terapin-bear View Post
...We almost settled on the Red QBA, but are concerned about weight limits... T+B
If you're concerned about weights, consider the Powerglide chassis rather than the Freightliner. The GVWR of the Powerglide is 36,600 lb rather than 32,000 lbs for the Freightliner.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:34 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the replies.

I have looked at the virtual tour, but it is of a different model. Looking at different models for sale, the kitchen is handled a little different in each model, so was hoping for information specific to the qkh. I am pretty certain the windows are there, despite the layout drawing showing a solid wall. At least I hope so!

Thanks paz - must decide on that option. We are at the top of our budget as it is - not sure about that one, but you have a good point.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Would be good for you to post your question on the TiffinRVNetwork site as well. Lots of folks with lots of knowledge of Tiffins.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:33 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the suggestion - we posted there, too.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #7

40 QKH

Call Tiffin, Red Bay, and speak with Jerry Williamson the Marketing Manager. I did before 2011 Phaeton specs.were made public(April'10) and he answered all of my questions to my satification. Pulled trigger and took delivery of 2011 36' Phaeton QSH this past Aug.'10 and love it
bob.sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob.sullivan View Post
Call Tiffin, Red Bay, and speak with Jerry Williamson the Marketing Manager. I did before 2011 Phaeton specs.were made public(April'10) and he answered all of my questions to my satification. Pulled trigger and took delivery of 2011 36' Phaeton QSH this past Aug.'10 and love it
Great suggestion. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I called Jerry down in Red Bay, and will post his responses in the hope that they can help someone.

Jerry - what a great guy!

The UVW is about 28,200. The CCC is about 4000 with the FL chassis with the new higher weight ratings for their chassis (changed mid-year according to Jerry) and about 6300 with the PG chassis.

There are windows on the driver's side: on the side of the slide (which when closed would be right behind the driver) and two on the slide (behind the sofa and behind the dinette). There is no side-slide window on the PG side, but one behind the 68" sofa and a small one in the kitchen.

The King bed option means that the side tables are smaller, and more like shelves than drawers. The queen option has full nightstands.

There is storage in the kitchen area above and below the TV. Below the TV is a pull-out pantry that holds quite a bit, according to Jerry, and a double-drawer cabinet above,

Under the bunks there is storage (like the QBA) on gas shocks (the bunk lifts up)

THe hot water tank option is the Precision Temp RV 500.

The slide on the DS is a floor-flush slide, the PG side is not.

There are 9 seatbelts in total in the regular model: 2 up front, 3 DS sofa, 2 PG sofa, 2 dinette FF. The u-shaped dinette will not have any seatbelts.

The CB antenna is standard, although not listed.

The tub options means the floor pan of the shower is about 12" rather than the standard 2" and can hold water, rather than just a drain. Other than that, it is the same as the shower option.

I hope that can help someone.

T+B

Old 01-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Our update: we pulled the trigger and struck a deal with our dealer today. Yay!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:36 AM   #11

DAT-A-WAY to go......I know you will love it.....GO SAINTS !!!!!
bob.sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:21 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Our order went to Red Bay today! Yay!
Old 01-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #13

If you have never toured the factory you should if your travels ever brings you near Red Bay. Tiffin also has factory service which I am sure you are aware of with a campground. Enjoy your new coach.
redbayjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Our coach hits the line 25th of this month. We are heading down the week after to see our coach being built! So excited!