Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2020, 12:56 PM   #1

Hot water heater

Hi,
We have a 2016 31SA and while comping last week we only had at 30 amp hookup so we we're trying not to overload, (it was hot 90's). First thing in the morning I hit the button for the Electric Hot water for showers while it was still cool outside and we did't need the A/C. After a while when dishes were done I hit the button again to turn it off, however how do I know the HW tank is off without waiting 8 hrs to feel the water. There are no lights light to inform me that it is off. I went into the fuse panel and turned off the breaker. Am I missing something here or is there a problem?

Also when I use the HWH auto level quite often after it's level one of the rear jacks is not down (could be either side). We use it this way but I don't think it's right

Thanks in advance
Leadbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2020, 01:13 PM   #2

With the switch off, you know water heater is off, unless you also have LP enabled. The only light gets turned on if LP fails to light.

There may be a level reset procedure in the manual for your leveling system. You can also use the system in manual mode.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:38 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree that if the switch is off, the WH is off.

As for the jack, they may be sticking a little making them build up pressure before they are all the way down. With them extended, spray the piston with WD40 then wipe it off. That's regular maintenance that should be done occasionally anyway.

As mentioned, once they have automatically leveled and stopped use the manual arrows to force the slow jack down. You'll feel it once it touches down. I almost always tweak ours just a little to force them down a little farther even if they are all down and leveled. Takes a little more weight onto the jacks and makes the coach a little more stable.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:42 PM   #4

Looks like the Allegro uses an Atwood Water Heater

Dual Switch Panel has On/Off Switches for Electric and Gas with FAULT light
Fault light ONLY comes on if gas flame fails to ignite and Prove it lit
OR if the ECO (Energy Cut Off/High Temp T-stat) shold Open whether on Electric or Gas

Only indication if electric is On/Off would be change in AMPS rig is using
Only indication if propane is On/Off would be 'hearing' the flame ...shpuld be slight roar when burning

YOU could install a couple of LED indicating Lights tied into the 'load side' of those switches (12VDC is what goes to those on/off switches)
Atwood uses common 12VDC and controls (t-stat/ECO/circuit board) with a DC Relay to trigger the 120VAC to element
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:33 AM   #5

Hi,
Yes this is an Atwood 10 gal hot water tank, looked thru the MH manual and could not find any instructions as to the on/off switch. My question is if you press the button once is it on and if you press the button again does it go off (assuming your spouse didn't all ready hit the switch button before you}
Thanks
Old 08-26-2020, 10:37 AM   #6

Hot water heater

I’m assuming you have the push buttons that are in the plastic frame like my ‘16 32SA instead of the older style rocker switches. Whenever the electric water heater is on the green led lights up in that frame even when not in the active heating cycle to show it’s on. Same for gas. The fault led comes on if there’s a problem with either. Be sure you turn on the “panel lights” button. Neither the indicator leds nor the backlights will light without pressing that button. If that still doesn’t light it then maybe you simply have a problem with the panel light circuit. By the way I usually use propane to heat the water when we only have 30 amp connection. It heats faster anyway.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I agree that if the switch is off, the WH is off.

Lt Dan I should have mentioned this in my previous post but with the push buttons behind the plastic cover the only way you know they’re on is is the green led is on. All the switches in my 32SA are like that. I’m not sure what was wrong with the older style positive feel rocker switches, especially for items like the water heater and slide out operation.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:53 PM   #8

Thank you Chuck and Pam, I didn't realize that all the panel lights had to be on to see each of the circuits being used. Turned on panel light and problem resolved. Thanks

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater