Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2021, 01:43 PM   #1

House Batteries Dead

Gents, I have been following along as I recently ran down to my stored Tiffin Allegro Bus and found the 110 unplugged by someone and now all the batteries are dead. I have nothing inside or out that works. I know the issue is that I left fridge on knowing it was plugged in adn we were leaving agian in a few weeks....or so I thought.

As always IRV2 has amazing forums with people who know a lot more about stuff than I do and like the OP on this thread I know next to nothing about batteries and electrical. So I know the cause...and here is what I just tried and what I think is next step but thinking the folks here may confirm or give me another idea to try.

2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
Magnum Inverter/Charger
Surge Guard model 41260 Transfer switch
AGM House batteries and No maintenance Lead starting batteries.

Manual says to try a soft reset push the on/off button for 15 seconds until green light flashes then release and then push the on/off button to turn it on....did that got the flashing light but it will not urn ON...no constant green light....bummer was hoping this would be a simple solution.

The manual then states to try a Power (hard) Reset
1. remove all AC power
2. Open all inverter DC connects (or disconnect the positive battery cable to the inverter).
3. Ensure the inverter and the remote are disconnected from all AC and DC power (the remote display will be blank)
4. After the inverter has been disconnected from all power for 30 seconds, reconnect the inverter DC connects (or reconnect the positive battery cable) and resume operation.

So my question is should I simply unplug the 110 to the coach and then disconnect the red (+) lead to the inverter. wait 30 seconds then put the red lead back on and then plug it in?

Appreciate any thoughts and advice.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2021, 02:09 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrif View Post
Gents, I have been following along as I recently ran down to my stored Tiffin Allegro Bus and found the 110 unplugged by someone and now all the batteries are dead. I have nothing inside or out that works. I know the issue is that I left fridge on knowing it was plugged in adn we were leaving agian in a few weeks....or so I thought.

As always IRV2 has amazing forums with people who know a lot more about stuff than I do and like the OP on this thread I know next to nothing about batteries and electrical. So I know the cause...and here is what I just tried and what I think is next step but thinking the folks here may confirm or give me another idea to try.

2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
Magnum Inverter/Charger
Surge Guard model 41260 Transfer switch
AGM House batteries and No maintenance Lead starting batteries.

Manual says to try a soft reset push the on/off button for 15 seconds until green light flashes then release and then push the on/off button to turn it on....did that got the flashing light but it will not urn ON...no constant green light....bummer was hoping this would be a simple solution.

The manual then states to try a Power (hard) Reset
1. remove all AC power
2. Open all inverter DC connects (or disconnect the positive battery cable to the inverter).
3. Ensure the inverter and the remote are disconnected from all AC and DC power (the remote display will be blank)
4. After the inverter has been disconnected from all power for 30 seconds, reconnect the inverter DC connects (or reconnect the positive battery cable) and resume operation.

So my question is should I simply unplug the 110 to the coach and then disconnect the red (+) lead to the inverter. wait 30 seconds then put the red lead back on and then plug it in?

Appreciate any thoughts and advice.
Yours is an easy one. With a Magnum inverter/charger it will not charge a dead battery. The Magnum charger has to see 12.6v on the remote panel before the fault will clear and charging can resume from shore power.

First dial the shore power setting on the Magnum remote back to 5 amps so as not to trip the breaker on the 15A shore power.

If you have a battery boost switch start the engine and place in high idle. With shore power plugged in press the battery boost switch until the voltage on the Magnum remote panel rises to something above 12.6v and starts charging the house battery bank. This may take several minutes. Once the charger kicks in you can release the battery boost.

If you don’t have a battery boost switch get a car battery charger and connect it to your house batteries until the voltage gets above 12.6v.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 02:29 PM   #3

Thank you for the quick response and next steps. I do not have any power to the the remote panel it is dead so unable to dial it back. I do have a power boost starter but the starting batteries are dead as well when I trun on the key i get nothing.....so looks like use a battery charger to the house batteries. So another newbie question since I have 6 AGM house batteries in the bay do I simply connect the charger to any one of the batteries or is there a specific battery I should connect to?
Old 08-21-2021, 02:44 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you for the quick response and next steps. I do not have any power to the the remote panel it is dead so unable to dial it back. I do have a power boost starter but the starting batteries are dead as well when I trun on the key i get nothing.....so looks like use a battery charger to the house batteries. So another newbie question since I have 6 AGM house batteries in the bay do I simply connect the charger to any one of the batteries or is there a specific battery I should connect to?
It would be quicker to boost the chassis batteries and get the engine started then let the alternator through the chassis batteries charge up the house batteries. Once there is some power available to the Magnum remote should be able to dial back shore power. Make sure nothing else in the coach is on.

Old 08-21-2021, 03:00 PM   #5

I will try to charge the starting batteries and try to get the engine running. Off to buy a charger. Fingers crossed this works.

Thanks again!
Old 08-21-2021, 03:06 PM   #6

Chassis batteries are new only 6 months old and connections are clean and protected. The House AGM batteries are 2 years old and again all connections are clean and good. This all is because someone disconnected our 110 to the coach at the storage facility....uggh!
Old 08-21-2021, 04:55 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Chassis batteries are new only 6 months old and connections are clean and protected. The House AGM batteries are 2 years old and again all connections are clean and good. This all is because someone disconnected our 110 to the coach at the storage facility....uggh!
Boy, have I been there and why I store with the inverters turned off. It only takes once to realize how fast the batteries can be drawn down to the point of a days work to get then up to even be able to take a charge and then worry about how much permanent damage has been done.
My disconnect of power is not human, it is poor service to the property from the power company. Mine can happen at anytime.... during storm season (now) it is all to often.
The LBC will stop the draw on the batteries at 10.5v but it does not stop the parasitic draws that continue on. Thankfully I now have remote monitoring on the new coach and check incoming power and battery charge daily. With the inverter off, I do have time to correct the problem before it turns major.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 05:17 PM   #8

So things are looking positive. I bought a battery charger and have it hooked up to the house batteries and after about 10 minutes batteries went from 2 amp up to 9.0. So progress! I will check them in a couple of hours and should be close to full charge. If so, I am then going to do the same with the 2 chassis batteries. If all goes well per previous suggestion I should be able to 1. get the inverter to turn back on once batteries are above its minimum requirement abd 2. start the engine.

Will let everyone know how this works out sometime tomorrow. Rig is at storage yard about 10 minutes away so lots of back and forth checking on things.
Old 08-21-2021, 05:24 PM   #9

Quote:
So things are looking positive. I bought a battery charger and have it hooked up to the house batteries and after about 10 minutes batteries went from 2 amp up to 9.0. So progress! I will check them in a couple of hours and should be close to full charge. If so, I am then going to do the same with the 2 chassis batteries. If all goes well per previous suggestion I should be able to 1. get the inverter to turn back on once batteries are above its minimum requirement abd 2. start the engine.

Will let everyone know how this works out sometime tomorrow. Rig is at storage yard about 10 minutes away so lots of back and forth checking on things.

First, charging at 9 amps will NOT get that large house bank up to full charge in a couple of hours. Or did you mean from 2 to 9 VDC?

But, if the batteries were really deeply discharged, it will likely get them up to where your inverter/charger will take over.
Old 08-22-2021, 12:56 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

If charging the house bank takes too long with your external battery charger to get the Magnum remote to see 12.6v then hook up your external battery charger to your chassis batteries long enough to be able to start the engine and then let your boost switch (manually or automatically) connect the chassis and house banks which should get the house bank up to 12.6v quicker. Once the “dead battery charge” fault is cleared shore power should take over the charging via the Magnum charger.

Old 08-22-2021, 03:52 PM   #11

Tiffin is alive!!

So first thanks to all of your input I always find great people with a ton of knowledge when needed on IRV2. So here is the latest and a few answers to some of your questions.

Responses to some questions:
Yes the coach was without power for over 4 weeks assuming it was unplugged the whole time which I will assume is a yes.

I normally pop the breakers on Fridge, micro, entertainment just to lessen the load while it sits to help reduce the pull on the inverter....but of course this time I didn't which only helped drain things faster.

The Magnum meter said the house batteries read 2.8 and the red fault light was lit.

Current status: The person who said the Magnum won't kick in unless batts were at a minimum charge I think was on the right path....
1. After an overnight charge batteries were not full but read 12 volts I disconnected charger, reset Inverter, got a green light, plugged it in to the 110 and Voila everything is now connected and working. Have ful 30 amp charge to the rig, and on full charging on Magnum display.

2. Now have lights and alarms in the rig although dim but I will assume will get brighter as the batteries top off to full charge.

Next Question:
Chassis/Starting batteries still dead as I didn't have them connected to charger and I also turned of the disconnect to isolate them.

Once I got the Magnum charger/inverter running for a few minutes I tuned the switch back on to the chassis batteries.

Question: Does any one know for certain if the Magnum charges both House and Chassis batteries I have always assumed yes....but better to ask then assume. If not I will turn off the disconnect and then use the charger on each of them separately.

Thanks again for the assist you guys are awesome!
Old 08-22-2021, 04:56 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
So first thanks to all of your input I always find great people with a ton of knowledge when needed on IRV2. So here is the latest and a few answers to some of your questions.

Responses to some questions:
Yes the coach was without power for over 4 weeks assuming it was unplugged the whole time which I will assume is a yes.

I normally pop the breakers on Fridge, micro, entertainment just to lessen the load while it sits to help reduce the pull on the inverter....but of course this time I didn't which only helped drain things faster.

The Magnum meter said the house batteries read 2.8 and the red fault light was lit.

Current status: The person who said the Magnum won't kick in unless batts were at a minimum charge I think was on the right path....
1. After an overnight charge batteries were not full but read 12 volts I disconnected charger, reset Inverter, got a green light, plugged it in to the 110 and Voila everything is now connected and working. Have ful 30 amp charge to the rig, and on full charging on Magnum display.

2. Now have lights and alarms in the rig although dim but I will assume will get brighter as the batteries top off to full charge.

Next Question:
Chassis/Starting batteries still dead as I didn't have them connected to charger and I also turned of the disconnect to isolate them.

Once I got the Magnum charger/inverter running for a few minutes I tuned the switch back on to the chassis batteries.

Question: Does any one know for certain if the Magnum charges both House and Chassis batteries I have always assumed yes....but better to ask then assume. If not I will turn off the disconnect and then use the charger on each of them separately.

Thanks again for the assist you guys are awesome!
It does, sort of. The Magnum will charge the HOUSE batteries first. If and when the HOUSE batteries are fully charged a device that Is variously called a BIRD or a BIM will activate and hook the HIUSE and CHASSIS batts together in parallel and thus charge the CHASSIS batteries. It basically does the same thing as when you hold the BATTERY BOOST switch down. It just does it smarter.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 02:17 AM   #13

Did I kill my chassis batteries?

The saga continues as I did get the chassis batteries to charge and I had the chassis batteries charged. We left on a a trip without the RV and returned to find the Chassis batteries dead again. They are not even a year old. So if they have gone dead twice should I assume best to juts get 2 new ones or can they somehow be saved. I am not a techie guy with voltmeters so any help definitely appreciated.

Second question we are moving our rig to a new storage yard with indoor storage but no shore power. So question is for proper storage with no shore power. I assume...
1. Turn off house batteries (AGM) at disconnect switch
2. Turn off Chassis batteries at disconnect switch
3. turn salesman switch at front door to OFF.

Is this correct or should I do anything else. I plan on visiting once a month when in storage to pull it out ans start the rig for a drive and run the genrator.

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 10-27-2021, 05:50 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
The saga continues as I did get the chassis batteries to charge and I had the chassis batteries charged. We left on a a trip without the RV and returned to find the Chassis batteries dead again. They are not even a year old. So if they have gone dead twice should I assume best to juts get 2 new ones or can they somehow be saved. I am not a techie guy with voltmeters so any help definitely appreciated.

Second question we are moving our rig to a new storage yard with indoor storage but no shore power. So question is for proper storage with no shore power. I assume...
1. Turn off house batteries (AGM) at disconnect switch
2. Turn off Chassis batteries at disconnect switch
3. turn salesman switch at front door to OFF.

Is this correct or should I do anything else. I plan on visiting once a month when in storage to pull it out ans start the rig for a drive and run the genrator.

Thanks again for all the help!

I would at a minimum do #1 and #2. Some people on the forum have indicated they lift the final negative lead on each due to parasitic draw. But if you're going back to start and run I wouldn't do that myself. As for the chassis batteries, I would go have them tested at an Auto Parts store. My trickle charger allegedly tells me if the battery is bad, but it's not a load test. Our local Auto Zone will attempt to charge it then perform a discharge test. I imagine you will do this anyway, but if you disconnect and take to be tested, be sure to either write down and label the connections before doing so or take a picture.
Part Timers-Looking Fwd to being Anytimers
thegats1 is online now   Reply With Quote