Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2020, 02:16 PM   #1

House batteries going dead

I have a Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34 TGA, recently purchased used. I replaced the main Chassis battery and the two house batteries right after buying it. For some reason, even though I switch off the house battery switch, the house batteries go dead within one day after parking. I have checked for the obvious., a light left on, or a fan, but for some reason have not been able to isolate the cause. I am about to install an additional house battery switch as we are soon to be leaving on a pretty long trip. After driving for 10 miles or so, the alternator has recharged to house batteries enough so they work, but often we overnite in places without hookups. I have had it in the shop to attempt to isolate the problem , but the mechanic said he could detect no draw on battery.
I would appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions. I am a pretty handy guy, but this one has me baffled.
Pbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2020, 03:37 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Check the inverter control. The 12v disconnect does not turn off the inverter and it will pull the batteries down in a day. Even the big red switch by the house batteries does not disconnect the inverter since it's connected directly to the batteries.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:32 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
House Batteries Going Dead

In our 2011 40QBH in storage, we turn off both the chassis battery switch and the house battery bank switch. Most important to stop the current draw on the house batteries from anything inside the coach including the inverter, we disconnect the NEGATIVE cable from the battery post. Recently we installed a battery disconnect to the negative post to make this task easier.

E.g., from Amazon:
Ampper Top Post Battery Disconnect Switch, Battery Master Switch Isolator for Power Disconnect Cut Off
Lxperegrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:00 AM   #4

Lxperegrin, I read with interest this series of comments, but when I read your response I was compelled to jump in. I bought a used '09 Allegro Bus in November '19. I spent the next six plus weeks fighting with my Xantrex charger-inverter acting like it was failing. I finally tracked it down to a disconnect that the former owner had installed ON THE NEGATIVE side of the 6-battery house bank. It was a knife-switch type of disconnect. Placement of a switch there is a sound concept. But...THAT particular switch design is bad. I could give a small tug on the negative cable and hear arc-ing at the switch. I've removed it, and my system's excentricities have stopped. As I said, putting a disconnect there assures no drain to the house bank. If the disconnect is a knife switch be aware of the possibility.
HPbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:50 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
House Batteries Going Dead

Agree with HPbari. A knife switch type disconnect could easily arc. After getting this same advice about this switch on another forum we purchased and installed the switch that I referenced and have not had any evidence of arcing yet. Another part of our story was that the charging side of our original Xantrex inverter was not working, could not be repaired and the inverter/charger had to be replaced. The key take away is that the built in "On Off" switch on the house battery bank does not take the inverter draw off the house batteries and they will be dead in a few days unless an additional battery disconnect switch is installed. So, for us, a new Xantrex SW3012 ($$$), new Duracell House Batteries (6-$$) and a battery switch (cheap).
Lxperegrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:08 PM   #6

Congrats on the 3012! Thought I was headed up that road, but it was the faulty design of that disconnect all along. I will mention I found a shop in MO who opens-up the RS3000s and, in the YouTube I watched, found a fried resistor, replaced it, and the charge side was restored. Before finding him I'd heard that the primary difference between the 3000 and the 3012 is servicabillity.
HPbari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries