Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2022, 09:08 PM   #1

How do I connect my WALLY to an External tripod DISH Antenna

I am in a spot where my roof mounted Wineguard Dish antenna is obstructed for the next week or two... I have access to the site's dedicated "DISH antenna". I ran the connection cable to my "tripod" connection in the wet bay,... but do not have any reception? Any Suggestions or can you point me to a forum that may have solved this problem? Thanks, Jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2022, 09:31 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Have you tried running a Check Switch routine in the system setup menu? If yours is programmed for a different antenna switch then it will not receive. The most common switches are the 1000.2k and the newer Hybrid Triple WA.2 for the different antennas. A portable dome antenna is normally the SW64 switch.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:03 PM   #3

Lt Dan, Thank you so much... My Wally is currently connected to the roof mounted Wineguard mobile Dish Antenna... I will see if the Satellite input port on the Wally will tell me where the coax is connected.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:38 AM   #4

With the wet bay tripod input be sure the A-B switch setting is on B. That is if your coach has an A-B switch as my 32 SA does.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:12 PM   #5

my 22 Phaeton does not have a A/B switch. In order to use the tripod I had to physically move the coax to the connection marked tripod. I will be installing a switch.
Ramo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 07:35 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for the responses... GOOD News. Tiffin pre-wired a "tripod connection" and labeled the cable cord "tripod" in the bundle of cable cords behind the WALLY. . All we need to do is plug it into the Sat. input port. Over time an A/B switch would be perfect...

So connect the external "fixed" tripod to the "tripod" connection in the wet bay.

You will probably need to press the "home button" three times to get the configuration page and re connect to the satellites, or call DISH support and have them talk you through the procedure....
Old 08-17-2022, 07:44 AM   #7

In my case I was connecting to a "fixed" three head Dish Antenna... So Lt Dan's info is great news concerning the usual case when one has a mobile external dome to connect when trees or some other obstruction blocks the view to the southern sky from the roof of the RV.
Old 08-17-2022, 08:44 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Can you run 2 wallys, one to the front TV so you can watch separate programming on different TV's?
Flyerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:45 AM   #9

Puechasing a second Wally... I think at home I have a Wally in the living room anda JOEY in the bedroom... I would call DISH Support to see what the best config would be... BTW most of them offer great/accurate support!
Old 08-18-2022, 09:00 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think the joey connects to a hopper receiver, I could do that with a wireless joey but I would like to use one of those automatic portable dishes. They don't work with a hopper.
Flyerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:37 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerone View Post
Can you run 2 wallys, one to the front TV so you can watch separate programming on different TV's?
Yes you can but be aware that with a dome antenna you can only watch programming on the same satellite. With a Trav'ler you can run two Wallies on different program satellites plus with hard drives you can record one channel while watching another or record two at once. That can't be done with a dome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerone View Post
I think the joey connects to a hopper receiver, I could do that with a wireless joey but I would like to use one of those automatic portable dishes. They don't work with a hopper.
Use of a Joey requires a Hopper receiver which as you said does not work with a dome antenna. It requires a triple LNB antenna like the Trav'ler or RF Mogul.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 10:31 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Hopper & Wally & antennas

Sorry for being so late to the conversation, but I might have something useful to offer. We've owned our 2008 Allegro Bus for 3 years and had to replace all satellite TV components (but no coach wiring). So my primary source is a Hopper3 via a Winegard Trav'ler antenna, and we do have periodic issues with reception in tree-shaded areas. In that case, we have a portable Winegard Pathway X2 antenna (which isn't compatible with the Hopper) which we connect to the external Tripod connection in the wet bay, and found a coax cable labeled "Tripod" in the A/V cabinet over the passenger chair, and connected it to a Wally. The outputs of the Hopper & Wally go to an A-B switch and then to the main TV. The Hopper also outputs (ethernet cable) to a wireless access point which connects to a Joey for the bedroom TV (and could also support another Joey for the outside TV). If we're using the portable antenna & the Wally, we can't use the bedroom TV.
PLColman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, dish