Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2021, 04:49 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
How do you know Solar pannels are working?

Hi Guys:

I have a 2021 Tffin Red 33AA with three solar panels on the roof. I have a Solar Panel control box next to Magna Controller over the drivers seat in the cabinet.

The Solar Panel box is not showing me any pertinent information. How do I even know the solar panels are even working?

Regards Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2021, 05:10 PM   #2

Put the leads of a voltmeter on the screws on the controller holding down the wires coming down from the panels. Set the meter for DC volts. If you get some voltage, it's coming from the panels. If it's sunny, three basic 12v panels wired in series should give you around 40-60 volts. If they're wired parallel, you should get around 12-20 volts.

Do the same on the screws holding the wires from the controller to the battery. Should be 12-15 volts there. That would indicate your controller is at least still alive.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:15 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pameridan04 View Post
The Solar Panel box is not showing me any pertinent information. How do I even know the solar panels are even working?
What brand & model is your controller? Does it not have a display nor any controls? Mine has a couple buttons on it that I can use to display the status - it will cycle through voltage and charging currents for up to two battery banks.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:57 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeskibuff View Post
What brand & model is your controller? Does it not have a display nor any controls? Mine has a couple buttons on it that I can use to display the status - it will cycle through voltage and charging currents for up to two battery banks.
I have to go back and play with it. There is up and down buttons on the display, but it doesn't look like yours...LOL I presume A & B are your different battery banks?

PAM
Old 09-08-2021, 12:06 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
There is up and down buttons on the display, but it doesn't look like yours...LOL I presume A & B are your different battery banks?PAM
No, the buttons allow you to set the parameters. Here is an example from the manual:

To set the battery type for
battery bank 1, hold the B
Button for 3 seconds. When
the display shows a blinking
number 1, release the B button.

Next, select the charging
profile of battery bank 1 by
pressing the B Button to
toggle through the profile
options: Sealed/Gel, AGM,
Flooded, or LFP.
To confirm the battery
profile, press and hold the A
Button for 3 seconds.

If you take a picture of your controller and post it here, perhaps someone can identify it for you and direct you to a manual for it.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:28 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
My controller and remote viewer is made by Jaboni. I found the main controller hook up on the wall of my big slide out tray bay.

The remote controller viewer is in my upper cabinet over the driver seat. All I can see is 17 Degrees in one line when I scroll up and down. When I hit the menu bar it asks if I want to save setting?

My coach is parked and hooked up to 50 amp service at my house, does this over ride any solar panel functions?

Jim P.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:33 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
My controller and remote viewer is made by Jaboni. I found the main controller hook up on the wall of my big slide out tray bay.

The remote controller viewer is in my upper cabinet over the driver seat. All I can see is 17 Degrees in one line when I scroll up and down. When I hit the menu bar it asks if I want to save setting?

My coach is parked and hooked up to 50 amp service at my house, does this over ride any solar panel functions?

Jim P.
I think you need to determine which model you have in order to figure out which manual would give you the information about the info displayed and how to set/alter parameters.
https://www.jabonipowerproducts.com/...ction-manuals/

The output from my controller is basically connected right to the house batteries so it doesn't matter whether I'm on shore power, generator or alternator. Yours is likely connected the same way.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:30 AM   #8

You probably have the same one our ‘21 38KA has. The manual with info on the display is here https://www.jabonipowerproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/SolarControllerManual_Final.pdf

In order to test what’s going on, you may want to disconnect from your shore power since that will likely override any solar charging and turn the inverter on (if not already).

If you are seeing odd characters or the display isn’t working like the manual says it should, there’s a “display reset” procedure on pg. 8 after the picture that starts with “In case the Remote shows strange characters…”. I had to do that after all was cut and restored to the coach during a service I had done.

Recently, I was playing around with mine as I noticed the top line (V and A coming from solar array) was all 000, the battery voltage and current (lower line) didn’t match what the inverter had (12.2 on one and 13.5 on other), and it just didn’t seem to be charging any longer despite being in bright sun. I went into the basement and found the actual box that’s mounted. The blue light referred to in the manual was covered by a piece of yellow tape with numbers on it (likely internal Tiffin stock number or something). Took that off I found it blinking slowly indicating no sun (not right) and fully charged (also not right). I pressed and held the small reset button for a couple seconds and let go. The status LED blinked a few times then went steady. When I went back in, the Inverter showed a charging status message, the 000 I saw had changed to actual values, and the inverter/solar voltages matched. It may be necessary to push the “CHG” button on your inverter panel to cycle that function back on after this.

Perhaps start with that as an initial kick in the pants, and if that doesn’t work, see if Jaboni or Tiffin can help over the phone.
FlyinChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:37 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinChemist View Post
You probably have the same one our ‘21 38KA has. The manual with info on the display is here https://www.jabonipowerproducts.com/...nual_Final.pdf

In order to test what’s going on, you may want to disconnect from your shore power since that will likely override any solar charging and turn the inverter on (if not already).

If you are seeing odd characters or the display isn’t working like the manual says it should, there’s a “display reset” procedure on pg. 8 after the picture that starts with “In case the Remote shows strange characters…”. I had to do that after all was cut and restored to the coach during a service I had done.

Recently, I was playing around with mine as I noticed the top line (V and A coming from solar array) was all 000, the battery voltage and current (lower line) didn’t match what the inverter had (12.2 on one and 13.5 on other), and it just didn’t seem to be charging any longer despite being in bright sun. I went into the basement and found the actual box that’s mounted. The blue light referred to in the manual was covered by a piece of yellow tape with numbers on it (likely internal Tiffin stock number or something). Took that off I found it blinking slowly indicating no sun (not right) and fully charged (also not right). I pressed and held the small reset button for a couple seconds and let go. The status LED blinked a few times then went steady. When I went back in, the Inverter showed a charging status message, the 000 I saw had changed to actual values, and the inverter/solar voltages matched. It may be necessary to push the “CHG” button on your inverter panel to cycle that function back on after this.

Perhaps start with that as an initial kick in the pants, and if that doesn’t work, see if Jaboni or Tiffin can help over the phone.

Thanks FC: Yep I basically did exactly what you did. I reset my remote viewer holding the three buttons at once. It turned from gobbly gook figures to all zeros. Then it showed heat 27%... and was in Standby mode. I went to Controller in storage bay. I hit reset button, it pops out a little lever that comes down that you have to push back up to reset. I could see the slow flashing blue light on controller but it never went solid blue??? All it ever showed on remote viewer was Standby Mode. It never went to Bulk Charge Mode. But I think the house batteries have to be discharged to 12.2 or lower for it to charge. I never saw any battery voltage on remote viewer.

Unfortunately I was pulling out my rolling storage tray, cargo shifted and I pulled out the wires connecting the remote viewer. I don't have tool to put them back in.

Jim P.

Tags
solar