Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #1

How is the MPG (Fuel consumption) with your 36LA ??

Hello,

I have some question because presently i need to choose between the 32 SA or 36 LA for my next RV.

My heart go with the 36LA but i need to know if the fuel economy is different of my last RV Itasca Sunstar 27N 2013 (28 feet RV).

I tow a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

Please give me your average.

Thanks.
peprous is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2014, 06:25 PM   #2

We have the Newmar 3610, which is basically the same as Tiffin's 36LA. Ours is on the 26,000lb chassis, which I believe the Tiffin is also. We have had ours for 9 months now and have put about 8,000 miles on it. So far we are averaging about 8mpg. The gas mileage has improved a little as it breaks in.

Our worst gas mileage has been 6.5 mpg when we have been on segments that were mostly uphill, including on stretch with a 6% grade for about 10 miles. Our best has been 10mpg on a long flat stretch with a little tailwind. We have gotten 9 to 9.5 several times, but can pretty much count on 8mpg at each fillup. So far we have not towed anything, but this mileage does include running both the engine A/C and the generator from time to time. The two things I found that really affect the mpg is speed(our best speed is 60-62) and using the cruise control. I think you can maintain the speed vs terrain much easier and efficiently than the cruise control does.

I'm not sure what your last MH got, but I don't think it will be a big enough difference to be a deal breaker. Lets say you take a 1000 mile round trip, at 8mpg that would take 125 gallons of gas @3.25 per gallon would be $ 406, if you dropped to 7 mpg, it would take 142 gallons @3.25 or $464, so when you are spending this much money $58 difference for a thousand mile trip is nothing. You can do the math if the distance or gas mileage is dratically different but it still will not make enough difference to make the decision. Even if you did it on a yearly basis and drove 10,000 mile per year( which is alot of miles) would still only be a $580 difference.

And by the way you will love the bath and a half and all the extra room and conviences you will have in the 36LA, we love our 3610.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO there is a greater difference in MPG based on the user than on the unit. The faster you drive the more fuel you will use. Using the power wisely will give you the best mileage.

If you like the 36 better then by all means get it. As pointed out the difference in economy is minor. If it is an issue just drive a little bit less to accomodate the difference.

You deserve the 36LA.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
What is mileage? Just kidding....

All good advice, above. Get the one you like best....and don't worry about the mileage.

Do the best you can about keeping your foot out of the throttle as mentioned.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:33 PM   #5

Gas mileage and rv's could really be a oxymoron? When you have 1/4 of a tank look for gas or if you see a Pilot/Flying J stop. Possibly get a used unit for thousands less than a new one and use the difference for gas. Dave
Old 11-15-2014, 09:10 PM   #6

Number 1: get the coach you want. I can't imagine spending all the money it takes to buy a coach, ANY coach, and not have what I wanted. Number 2: why spend money to be less then satisfied before you even start the trip?

My husband compares it to our natural gas bill to heat our house. He says, "I can spend $500/year to heat my house all winter and be cold, or I can spend $ 550/year to turn the thermostat up 4 degrees and be warm."

We have a 2014 36LA. We try to drive around 62-65mph. On straight roads with the cruise, we average 7.5-8 mpg towing our 2014 Jeep Cherokee with two kayaks on top.
We love the floor plan, love the bath and a half and love the room. We'll never go any bigger then 36 ft. It gives us the room to be thoroughly comfortable, in a manageable size. Perfect for us!
Summerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #7

We tow a Wrangler and put about 17K miles/year on it touring.
The MH just goes point to point.
Don't sweat the MH gas mileage!
Enjoy the adventure!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:40 PM   #8

After putting 8000 miles on our 2012 36la towing a 4000lb toad over mountains and through flat lands, we avg. 8.5. I drive no more than 60mph. Seems to be the sweet spot on this coach.
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:54 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Got a 2013 and tow an 08 ford escape hybrid. Put a obd2 based mpg/plus every other function meter on it at 3000. Since then, now 14000 miles and overall average is 6.58 mpg. Driving at 65 on a flat road nets 7.5 to 8.5. Climbing up 17 from Sedona to Flagstaff or heading North to Glacier or Yellowstone will have it showing 2.8 to 3.5 going uphill. You want better mileage in a class a, go diesel.
wanderse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:54 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Get the one you like, the fuel mileage is a minor item compared to your satisfaction with the floor plan!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:11 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We average 7 mpg on our 2014 36LA. That is without towing anything.

2014 Allegro 36LA
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:06 AM   #12

Mileage

Biggest variable is how heavy one's foot is on the gas pedal.
When buying one of these if you have to worry about fuel economy perhaps it is not for you. Best option is how you drive it to improve your fuel consumption somewhat.
PS we love our 36LA
Old 11-16-2014, 10:21 AM   #13

I have a 2014 36LA and honestly have only checked the fuel mileage a couple of times because once you get below ten it's irrelevant to me. I tow a 2dr wrangler and get 6-6.5 and about 1/2 mpg better when not towing. I drive the speed limit or higher, I try to stay in the flow of traffic so not to be in the way as much as possible. I have made trips with friend in diesel pushers and can't keep up when they are running 85 on the interstate so I just leave a little earlier of arrive a little later. Floor plan, floor plan, and whatever the wife likes. Not necessarily in that order.

Tags
fuel