Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2018, 06:39 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
How many considered comfort drive with Newmar

I really tried to find a thread on this but didn't find a true thread that discusses this, may need to improve my search abilities. The wife and I are getting on a flight in less than two weeks to see an Allegro Bus, and if all goes well, put an agreement together to purchase.

I'm interested to know if you started your search out wanting a Newmar because of the comfort drive but changed your mind because the facts show it's not a defining factor in choosing a coach. We spent time at a Newmar only dealer this past weekend and even the sales person suggested it was a nice option but not that big of a deal breaker. I was surprised to hear him say that. It got me thinking about a year ago when we were still in the investigative part of our search and stopped and talked to a couple at a campground and the couple swore the biggest factor for them was a tag axle.

This will be our first coach, trying to make the right decisions, and asking everything we can. On a side note, I got to meet and talk with Van Tiffin about a year ago at a trade show and everything I have read about the family being "real", caring about the community, is true from everything I have seen.

The wife and I would appreciate any thoughts on this.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2018, 09:54 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I looked at Newmars and Tiffins before we settled on our RED and now our Phaeton. I guess the comfort drive is a nice feature, but the Power Glide chassis with IFS that Tiffin builds for the Buses and some Phaetons is extremely comfortable to drive and I can't imagine anything much better.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:00 PM   #3

We had a Dutch Star in stock last year and the Comfort Steer was really nice. All motorhomes should have it. Turn the dial to loosen up the steering for around town and turn the dial to tighten it up for the interstate. Works great.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:14 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
How many considered comfort drive with Newmar

The CD is a huge plus but you really don’t appreciate it till the END of a long days drive. To really understand CD read the article on it by Ken Sherwin in the Sticky section of the Newmar forum.

But there are other differences. More Floor and rear escape DOOR to name two. I think a Newmar does a better job on the insulation. The full wall HWH slide on the Newmar’s is awesome.

On the basic AB vs say a Dutch Star, the engine and tranny are the same. Both have tag and side radiator. Of course you can option in more horsepower in either line. Only Newmar gives you the tag and side radiator on a 40 foot coach if you want to stay shorter.

The fact that Tiffin supplies their own chassis may be a plus in that it might eliminate some finger pointing, but Freightliner and Spartan both build great chassis too and, frankly, most new coach issues are with the house, not the chassis.

I’ve always thought the interiors of the Allegro Buses were a bit more elegant than some of the Newmar coaches, but I personally prefer the clean lines of the Newmar interiors.

Newmar has a rich options list and you can do a lot of customizing to get it just the way you want it.

And being in Kentucky, you need to decide if you would rather drive to Nappanee, Indiana or Red Bay, Alabama to get your coach fixed.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:25 PM   #5
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
The CD is a huge plus but you really don’t appreciate it till the END of a long days drive. To really understand CD read the article on it by Ken Sherwin in the Sticky section.

But there are other differences. More Floor and rear escape DOOR to name two. I think a Newmar does a better job on the insulation. The full wall HWH slide on the Newmar’s is awesome.

On the basic AB vs say a Dutch Star, the engine and tranny are the same. Both have tag and side radiator. Of course you can option in more horsepower in either line. Only Newmar gives you the tag and side radiator on a 40 foot coach if you want to stay shorter.

The fact that Tiffin supplies their own chassis may be a plus in that it might eliminate some finger pointing, but Freightliner and Spartan both build great chassis too and, frankly, most new coach issues are with the house, not th chassis.

I’ve always thought the interiors of the Allegro Buses were a bit more elegant than some of the Newmar coaches, but I personally prefer the clean lines of the Newmar interiors.

Newmar has a rich options list and you can do a lot of customizing to get it just the way you want it.

And being in Kentucky, you need to decide if you would rather drive to Nappanee, Indiana or Red Bay, Alabama to get your coach fixed.
Another distinction is the hung wall on Newmars vs the laminated wall on Tiffins.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:51 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Lots of money (and hype) for what amounts to a variable power steering unit. When the system went off patent, no other motorhome manufacturer picked it up and so it remains only on Newmar units.

Tiffin does a far better job on the important things - like interior storage and floor plans. It all depends on what your priorities are when buying a coach.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Lots of money (and hype) for what amounts to a variable power steering unit. When the system went off patent, no other motorhome manufacturer picked it up and so it remains only on Newmar units.

Tiffin does a far better job on the important things - like interior storage and floor plans. It all depends on what your priorities are when buying a coach.
Tiffin is tops for storage outside and especially interior cupboard space. Newmar is too tiny imho. Decors are gross on the Newmar and we could never grow to like the hodgepodge interior designs on any of them from London Aire down to lowest models.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:07 PM   #8

We have CD and it's nice, but not a deal breaker.

I'm surprised you are getting on a plane and considering a commitment without apparently driving some comparable coaches? Unless you have and didn't mention it?

Everybody's perception of what's nice to drive is different, there are no "facts" that can tell why one driver enjoys a Buick and another a pickup.

Drive as many coaches as you can. If you've never driven a bus or cabover tractor, you're going to have some learning to do. The forward controls position (over the front tires) feels quite different.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Tags
newmar