Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2020, 10:38 AM   #1

How often are you limited by that height?

Our old coach was 12' 3" and the Allegro's are all 13'4". I can think of a couple trees that would limit me in some of our past camping spots.

We are looking at a 40IP (or 35CP) to gain access to some older state park/National Park sites. But if that height is a regular stopper we might as well just go the full 45'
Driveby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2020, 10:53 AM   #2

The length of going to a 45 footer I going to be more of a state/national park impacted than the height. The 40 and 45’ on the power glide chassis are similar in height. We had/have both. Those parks than can take a 45’ are few and far between. We gave up on staying at those parks. Best wishes on whatever you decide.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 10:58 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Back in MY 101-Lazydays RV driving school/Training , haha. They informed us to add an RV-Height LABEL onto your driver's side dash or windshield with your correct vehicle height for quick reference while driving helped me a few times as well as checking roads marked for TRUCKS ONLY.
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 11:02 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Our 40 Phaeton on the Power Glide chassis is that height. I have encountered a couple of back roads to RV parks where height was a problem, but a 12'3" would have had problems also. The only other time I had an issue was on the New York Turnpike (I90) and was slapping every underpass with a 2' CB antenna. The regular antennas were no problem and I had to tie the CB down to keep it from hitting. Other than those, no problems with height.

BTW, I love the floor plan of our 40IH and the 40IP Bus is the same plan adapted from the Phaeton.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 11:08 AM   #5
PKI

For what it's worth, the Allegro Breeze is 11'-8" and at 33/35 is not so restricted with respect to length. Not the same bling as the high end Tiffins, but .....

Now with respect to height, yes. When we travel areas where there are growing trees that encroach the roadway, height is an issue. We now enter our housing addition by a different route, often move to the center of the road in an effort to avoid low hanging trees, can't use the right hand lane for turns in some locations, and do get a ding off the antenna (highest point and over 11'-8") from time to time.

Moving to a full size motorhome has a height and length disadvantage. The length is normally the most recognized issue. CA even has route restrictions for over 40ft RVs. However, in my personal opinion, I believe height is more of a problem. It may be a hassle to "back and fill" to negotiate a corner but it's doable. A low overhead is a "no go" situation. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:31 PM   #6

This is a good discussion for newbies.....We finally have a VIN# for our 40IP on order... Overall height (maximum) states 13' 3". For planning purposes is this without any equipment on the roof? Should I add in the stuff that will go on the roof such as A/C units WinGard2 WIFI, Sat Dish, etc... I have purchased the RAND McNALLY MOTOR CARRIERS Road Atlas and seems to be a good guide for vertical clearance routes. There are some weight measuring stations that also measure actual Rig height... I may stop at one to get an exact snapshot of current height in addition to getting axles weighed. The "RVTRIP Wizard" seems to also be a good planning tool? Any suggestions on how to navigate this issue would be great! Thanks everyone for the great comments.
JimLuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:54 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a card with all our measurments in the cockpit area. WE have had a problem (having to detour multiple miles) couple of times in upstate New York.

Also make sure you are aware of your weight. There were a couple of times (again in the North East) again detouring around bridges because of weight limits.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLuk View Post
This is a good discussion for newbies.....We finally have a VIN# for our 40IP on order... Overall height (maximum) states 13' 3". For planning purposes is this without any equipment on the roof? Should I add in the stuff that will go on the roof such as A/C units WinGard2 WIFI, Sat Dish, etc... I have purchased the RAND McNALLY MOTOR CARRIERS Road Atlas and seems to be a good guide for vertical clearance routes. There are some weight measuring stations that also measure actual Rig height... I may stop at one to get an exact snapshot of current height in addition to getting axles weighed. The "RVTRIP Wizard" seems to also be a good planning tool? Any suggestions on how to navigate this issue would be great! Thanks everyone for the great comments.
If you are talking about taking your coach through a DOT weigh station on the freeway, you might think about calling the agency that runs them in your area first (State Troopers, etc). Not all of them are keen on having non-commercial traffic, especially the ones which are often crowded with trucks with drivers trying to earn a living.

By calling first, they will be able to tell you which station would be best for this, as well as which time of day is better and less likely to cause a problem.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:21 AM   #9

Quote:
. There are some weight measuring stations that also measure actual Rig height... I may stop at one to get an exact snapshot of current height in addition to getting axles weighed. .

Is there a list of weigh stations that will measure your height? (yes, yes, I would call them first if I was ever near one.)
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:43 AM   #10

I added a second AC unit on the front of my Cardinal. Putting us at 13'6. I just have to watch out for low branches.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:17 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
This is a good discussion for newbies.....We finally have a VIN# for our 40IP on order... Overall height (maximum) states 13' 3". For planning purposes is this without any equipment on the roof? Should I add in the stuff that will go on the roof such as A/C units WinGard2 WIFI, Sat Dish, etc...
The listed height that Tiffin publishes is to the top of any hardware on the roof including hard antennas and A/C units but I don't know if it includes the tip of the whip CB and AM/FM antennas. I have gone under several 13'7 underpasses and never touched those antennas though. The only way to get an exact measurement is with the air bags inflated, put the end of a board on top of the highest object on the roof, level it then measure to the ground.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote