Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2019, 10:25 AM   #1

How Quiet is your Allegro Bus?

My wife and I have been engaged in the search for our retirement RV and have narrowed it down to 2012-13 43' Newmar Mountain Aire or Tiffin Allegro Bus as having availability of the features we want in addition to the reputation for quality and service and still within what we want to spend.

When we drove a 2012 Mountain Aire the thing that really impressed me was how quiet it was inside while driving with the generator running. Even with a generator right up front between us, it could barely be heard and the engine in the back was virtually silent. Now, my hearing isn't what it used to be, but compared to my current coach, it was an amazing difference.

We have not driven an Allegro Bus in that age range as there doesn't seem to be anything available very much near us from all the internet searching I've done. We have interest in a couple that are quite a ways away from us, but it sure would have been nice to actually drive one before taking a much longer trip to view one. So, asking here to get an idea.

I already read the thread on Freightliner vs Powerglide so I have a feel for the ride and turning radius based on those comments. Just looking for inputs on how quiet these coaches are.

I know I'm in the Tiffin forum, so there might be a tad of bias here but be as honest as you can be!

Especially if you have a longer Allegro bus that's 6 to 8 years old...how quiet is your ride with the generator running?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2019, 01:28 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
You're right, we are probably biased but, we have no issue with sound on our bus. In fact, we have to look at the light on the button to see if the genny is actually on, my hearing is pretty bad though.

When we got our coach we had some wind noise from the front door but fixed it with a thin rubber door seal. Some people complain that the rain can be heard from the roof of the coach. This is true, and I cannot comment vs another mft. We happen to love the sound of the rain so it is certainly not an issue for us.

You don't say where you live but if close, we could set up a time for a ride. Good luck in your search.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:40 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
As for runnin down the road with Onan running. The only way I know its still running is by the switch light is illuminated. I honestly can not hear it over tire/road noise. Which is to say it sounds louder to me when parked in camp site.
If thats a factor, when spending that much $$. I'd certainly test ride all coaches I was interested in. juat sayn

Edit: I didn't read Brandss post till after I put this up. His 1st sentence was exactly what I was thinking when typing this. My ScanD suction cup mount let go when driving and hit the Genny sw and shut genset down. i'd didn't realize it wasn't running till I scanned dash and seen the light out. My hearing is also pretty bad though.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:54 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like it's the same with the Tiffins as far as quiet ride.

Brandss, thanks for the offer for the ride, but I'm in Minnesota. BTW...I like the rain on a roof as well. The 45LP is one of my favorite floorplans in the Allegro Bus, but my wife wants opposing sofas, which seems to be rare in the 45LP. We're looking at QRP's, but if a 45LP with opposing sofas at the right price popped up, I'd be on it.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have an 08 Allegro Bus. The wind noise is louder than the Generator or Engine. As the others have posted, I cannot hear the generator when the Rig is running, and have to look at the light.
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:50 AM   #6

When I was looking and test drove both I thought the Tiffin was quieter but I did not have the genny on. I found a 2105 Itasca with only 5,600 miles on it so got that one. When I drive with the genny running I can hardly hear it. The Itasca is also a quiet ride with or without the genny running. As far as the rain I only know my rig and it is loud enough to wake me up at night but I would believe that would be true for all of them.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:13 AM   #7

The “ which is quieter “ debate between Tiffins and Newmar’s come from different insulation’s used by both companies. Tiffin uses a polystyrene foam vacuumed formed in their walls, think white ice chest. Newman used “ hung walls” with fiberglass insulation, the pink or yellow stuff in your homes walls. I’ll try not to rekindle that debate but polystyrene has higher R value than fiberglass for a given thickness. Fiberglass absorbs sound better and doesn’t transmit sound as well as polystyrene thus the theory that Newmars are quieter than a Tiffin. I think Tiffin uses fiberglass in their roofs because it’s easier to adapt to the arched shape. The sound of squeaking and rattles varies from coach to coach not just brand to brand. Most people will tell you that floor plan is the number one factor in deciding on a coach, from there it is a matter of personal preference by each individual as to what’s important.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:49 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Open-cell spray foam has an R-value of about R-3.7 per inch, while closed-cell spray foam has an R-value that may be as high as R-6.5 per inch. Fiberglass has a 2.9 - 3.8 per inch. Typically RV wall are 2.5 inches thick.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allegro, quiet