Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2020, 06:09 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
How to access engine fuel, oil , and air cleaner for replacement

I recently purchased a 2012 Phaeton 40 QBH with 8.3l engine. I want to change engine oil, air, oil and fuel filters, and repack front wheel bearings if they are not sealed units.

Could one of you who have done this on the same type Motorhome assist me with this s information. Thank you.
Jerry
jerryd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2020, 07:30 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You will most likely have oil bath front wheel bearings and other than make sure the oil level is correct, it's best if you leave them alone.

Unless you are used to working on diesels, the rest of the work you might want to have done - at least the first time. You are going to have to deal with 2.5 gallons of oil, fuel lines that will dump diesel all over you while you change the filters, the need to prefill your fuel filters, and all while laying on your back under the motorhome.

So unless you have some experience with these things, your best bet is to get it to a nearby truck shop and let them do the work.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:38 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with Roger, on our Phaeton, I did the work and it was not fun. All the filters on Phaetons are under the engine. Our Phaeton took 27 qts of oil so you will need a large catch pan. The fuel filters are messy unless you have about 1/4 tank of fuel and also raise the rear of the coach to keep the fuel from running out. On our Phaeton the fuel line near the engine was a rigid plastic so squeezing the line was out of the question.
Speedco used to be pretty reasonable but since they have been bough out by Loves I understand the prices went up.
A local diesel shop. Ishtar be you best bet.
If the POWER left it, the manual will have a list of what and when maintenance is required.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 04:14 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought a 2011 this year and zeroed out the engine, tranny, generator and rear end services, so a major on all those replacing all filters and fluids including the air filter. This was done at Bay Diesel and they had the coach up on lifts. They don’t care if you watch, so I did as the bay door is kept open.

Even with all the right equipment, space and professional mechanics working on it, it’s a messy job. There are gallons of fluids to capture and as others have said, diesel leaks out while certain filters are being changed.

I do oil and filter changes on my cars with ramps and a creeper. There is NO WAY I would want to tackle this on the MH without at least having a full professional garage designed to safely lift a MH.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:20 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
No one mentioned the air filter but that's something you can easily change yourself. It should be on the driver's side at the read and accessible underneath without ramps or a lift. I've changed the ones on our Freightliner RED and our Power Glide Phaeton.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 08:24 AM   #6

You will be referring to BOTH your chassis owners manual and your coach owners manual.

Yes, very likely that you have oil bath front wheel bearing lubrication. So, you would just "change the oil". The axle/chassis manufacturer will tell you the proper type of lube and viscosity. Many use gear oil/haploid oil ranging from recommendations of straight 90 to 85-140.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #7

How to access engine fuel, oil , and air cleaner for replacement

I did the fronts using a Miti-vac and small hose for removal and then refill. When refilling, fill to line and then wait and keep topping off. That thick fluid takes a while to remove and fill. I did this all through the rubber end cap, not the screw in plug. Doing it this way means you don’t need to rotate the wheel into specific positions.

Air filter is a relatively clean job but the fuel filters can be a messy one. If you buy an extra plastic water separator housing and preassemble the new filter it will save the amount of time the fuel is dripping out of the fuel line. Honestly, the job itself is relatively simple but due to the mess and having to lay under the coach, I have it done at Cummins. Same for the coolant. The other work I don’t mind and rather enjoy, but at this point in my life some things aren’t worth the mess and hassle and I am willing to pay to have it done.

If you go to the Freightliner and Cummins QuickServ websites, you can request an account that allows you access to the parts diagrams and service procedures. Might be something to do as a new owner. I recently got accounts at both and the information has been invaluable.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, air, engine, fuel, replace, replacement