Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2022, 08:45 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
How to lube Height Control Linkage Pins?

I have a 2018 40IH on the Power Glide chassis. I am doing some general maintenance and decided to lube the chassis. The Power glide manual identifies all the grease points and what type of grease to use. Most of the grease points require a grease gun. I do recommend investing in an electric or pneumatic grease gun. However, the Height Control Linkage pins are not equipped with grease fittings. It is basically a thin brassy colored rod with a loop on each end that contains a rubber grommet. The attached photo is in the passenger front wheel area. The Power Glide manual says to use D.A. Stewart Aqualube on these grommets. Am I supposed to just use my finger to smear the Aqualube all over the grommet? Am I supposed to dismantle the linkage rod first or can I do it in place? I am a little concerned about removing the linkage as I don’t know what adjustments, calibrations, etc. may be required when reinstalling. I don’t know if these linkages are under stress or if they will just slip on and off. The front linkages are fairly accessible, but the rear linkages could not be in a more difficult location to reach. These may have to wait until the tires come off for some other reason.
Also, I’ve done a quick internet search and have found one supplier for DA Stewart Aqualube, nearly $40 for a 5.5 oz tube. Are there alternative products or a less costly supplier?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Linkage Pin2.pdf (61.3 KB, 31 views)
Hojo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2022, 11:08 AM   #2

If you do enough research, you may come to accept the fact that you may be the only person to ever be concerned about putting lube on these gromets.

I'm quite sure that three new gromets would be much less expensive than the cost of the lube you quoted.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:31 AM   #3

It's probably some type of silicone 'conditioner' grease.
I have a targa top convertible, and you use special silicone grease on the roof seals a couple of times a year to keep them soft.

My bet is you could use standard spray silicone to lube these. These grommets are not made from unobtainium, and probably doesn't warrant hunting down this specific lube.
Old 01-20-2022, 12:27 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Yep, I've done a little more research and first of, the name of the manufacturer is D.A. Stuart, not Stewart as shown in the Power Glide manual. And second, the name of the product has changed from Aqua Lube to Aqua Shield. It is primarily described as a lubricant/sealant for bearings located under salt water. So for this application on a motor home it would be a sealant to keep the rubber grommets from oxidizing and rotting off. I did find the 5.5oz tube for about $17, still a bit rich.

I agree, with the above, a shot of some type of spray lubricant/sealant (silicon) every now and then would be perfect.
Hojo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:07 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I just did my lube for the first time. I was wondering how you lube those things! Based on what I've seen, it sounds like a standard marine grease. Not sure I want to put that on those links. Maybe a dry spray lube that won't attract dirt.