Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2021, 07:54 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
How to update my built in Garmin Navigation

So on my new-to-me 2016 Phaeton 44OH I have built in Garmin navigation and was wondering how I go about getting an update for it. I know on the bottom left of the Kenwood stereo display in the dash it has a slot for a micro-SD to be inserted and from what I've read this is where you plug in the update but how do you get this update. On my portable RV760 Garmin I just plug it into my computer and Garmin Express checks then will do the update. But plugging the MH unit in isn't an option. I can download updates to a MicroSD off my computer but I have no clue the model all I can find off the Nav. Screen is this during the initial turn-on in Pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin Nav in MH .jpg
Views:	108
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	323756  
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2021, 10:30 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
That micro SD card in the Kenwood stereo is unique to your Garmin GPS. It has all of the information for that particular stereo & GPS like serial number & security code as well as maps so be careful with it. I think you should be able to put the micro SD card in your computer and Garmin Express will recognize it. After that you can check for updates. Once the updates are downloaded to the SD card it is reinserted into the Kenwood and the system will update.

Good luck & safe travels,
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:35 AM   #3

Based on your model year, I assume you have a Kenwood DNX571. Instructions for updating firmware and maps:

https://kenwood.garmin.com/kenwood/site

You will need to update firmware first; then do the map update (~$79). IMHO a standalone Garmin RV GPS is a better solution. YMMV.
Old 04-04-2021, 01:33 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMBluept View Post
That micro SD card in the Kenwood stereo is unique to your Garmin GPS. It has all of the information for that particular stereo & GPS like serial number & security code as well as maps so be careful with it. I think you should be able to put the micro SD card in your computer and Garmin Express will recognize it. After that you can check for updates. Once the updates are downloaded to the SD card it is reinserted into the Kenwood and the system will update.

Good luck & safe travels,
So you're saying there should be a micro SD card in my Kenwood Receiver? I'd assume you mean it should be in the slot used to update the Garmin? In my unit there was none there. With the coach I did receive a Flash Card that was on a Tiffin card that states it has Data, Options, etc. but I have no means to read it since t's too small for a normal SD and too large for a micro SD and I tried Onn, SanDisk or Pony micro SD adapters plus it won't fit in the radio slot since I'm sure that's a micro-SD slot. This must be an old version of the SD cards. Why Tiffin didn't use a normal Micro-SD I do not know. Anyway I took the Radio out and hook up my Droid through an HDMI to USB-c cable and couldn't launch the update thru the files using that method as well. I can't find any executable files only Cab & Bin files.... Not sure what I'm missing here but can't update Garmin without first updating Kenwood according to Garmin. I still have a portable Garmin but that has a habit of loosing satellites and Garmin won't answer phones nor emails on me questions with this issue. I'd call Tiffin back if I thought it would help but after my call with Nick last week on a request for entertainment wiring diagram/layout that was answered with they don't have them, which I find that hard to believe so my follow-up questions were answered with "I got more than 10 calls waiting" I felt he was either overwhelmed with work or just didn't want to help. I did enjoy Winnebago who had everything on my Forza with 3D drawings for everything, at every layer. I like that because I enjoy knowing my coach to not only fix things but knowing how to find out what is wrong.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TIFFIN Micro SD.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	463.2 KB
ID:	323794   Click image for larger version

Name:	TIFFIN Micro SD info.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	323797  

Old 04-04-2021, 01:40 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
That card plugs into a USB port, not a Micro SD. The tab flips out and insert it into a USB. There is a procedure for updating the maps through Garmin which writes the new files and update files to a micro SD that you insert then you have to leave it in place. I never updated the in-dash unit in our Allegro RED as I found my RV760 worked so much better.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 01:49 PM   #6

Just to be clear. You need a USB stick to update the firmware. The firmware update must be done first. Then use the micro SD card to update the maps. The SD card stays in the unit
Old 04-04-2021, 03:17 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
That card plugs into a USB port, not a Micro SD. The tab flips out and insert it into a USB. There is a procedure for updating the maps through Garmin which writes the new files and update files to a micro SD that you insert then you have to leave it in place. I never updated the in-dash unit in our Allegro RED as I found my RV760 worked so much better.
Well I'll be... I always like to learn new things and today after more than 46 years as an EE in conjunction with my 36 as a FF I never seen something like that before in my life. Well thank you... Appreciate that very much. Didn't read anything in the 160 page Plus manual or any other Tiffin documents I got that explained that to me. Now not saying it's not there, I'm saying I just didn't notice that explanation.
As for my portable Garmin. as I previously mentioned I've lost trust in it and Garmin doesn't seem to care hence why I'm looking for something else. Nothing worse than coming up to a major intersection and my portable Garmin losing satellite contact and I'm scurrying to remember which way I go and as we know driving these big coaches towing a car going down the wrong road could be detrimental to our health.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:28 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
As has been pointed out, that Tiffin info is on a USB memory card without all of the external trappings you used to seeing. If the micro SD is missing from your Kenwood stereo you will need to contact Kenwood to get a replacement - look at the Kenwood manual in your "bag of knowledge". That micro SD requires an adapter to work in most card readers and it contains unique information about your Kenwood system. It is used for firm ware & software upgrades to the Kenwood as well as map upgrades to the Garmin.
As far as the Garmin GPS, it is my 1st experience with Garmin. I have always had Magellan or Tom Tom. The Garmin is different than other units and a first I didn't like it. But after using it for several trips I find it works well and being integrated into the entertainment system leaves one less thing stuck on the dash. Just like any other GPS it needs to not be blindly followed. I use an Atlas and Google Maps as well as road signs to keep our travels on the right path.

Safe travels,
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Rnav View Post
Based on your model year, I assume you have a Kenwood DNX571. Instructions for updating firmware and maps:

https://kenwood.garmin.com/kenwood/site

You will need to update firmware first; then do the map update (~$79). IMHO a standalone Garmin RV GPS is a better solution. YMMV.
Quote:
Just to be clear. You need a USB stick to update the firmware. The firmware update must be done first. Then use the micro SD card to update the maps. The SD card stays in the unit
Above are the links and advice you need. Read the directions carefully and as others have said, update the firmware first. On my unit (yours could be different) there was a USB adapter hanging off the back of the unit accessible under the panel on the dash above the radio. Use that for firmware update. You'll need a USB thumb drive with the new firmware loaded on it for that.

As far as I know my unit (purchased new) did not have a micro SD in the slot. I bought a new micro SD with the full size SD adapter included for about 20 bucks. You'll need access to a computer with an SD slot for updating the software. Follow the Garvin instructions carefully....as I recall you first format the new micro SD card on a computer then, place it in the slot on the Kenwood and follow the update procedure, it will imprint the radio/nav ID on the card, remove it then you use that to download the update from a computer onto the micro SD and then stick it back in the Kenwood slot, follow the update procedure, and leave it there.

Even if you decide not to update the nav it is a good idea to update the Kenwood firmware as new features and compatibility upgrades are on there. When I updated mine it cleared up some bluetooth issues I was having and a few other operating bugs.

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:10 PM   #10

Quote:
This right here. Took me a few hours fir this to sink in. Firmware first and only via USB. Do this even if you don’t do maps as previously mentioned.

The MAP is done via microSD. Once you update the map the card will need to stay in the slot. Mine didn’t come with a microSD card either - you only need it if you are going to update the GPS map - then it will need to stay in the slot with your unit. Other updates can be done on the same card.
Jonwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:43 PM   #11

Quote:

I 100% agree with you.
I have done 2 Kenwood updates via USB (about 1/2 hour) and 2 Garmin updates via Micro SD.. had to put SD card in the Kenwood lower left and have the Garmin write secret code to it. Then to my PC and Garmin’s update site. Updates SD in a few minutes. Then put it and leave it in the Kenwood..
Ken Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:22 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
So final update but took some time to figure it out including taking at the drawer in surrounding frame from the bottom middle section of the dash after removing the radi. But after looking over the schematic and it showing a USB port at top left back corner and only finding a cable. Decided to hunt that cable down and found out it connected to an extensionthat lead to the passenger side dash usb. As it turns out it answered another question I had what was the usb for since it had a mini-rca jack above it on the same connector. Any some back and forth getting the Kenwood files unzipped and to recognize them and the radio was updated finally. Next downloaded the garmin update, in spite of their poor instructions and all is well.
Note: I couldn't find anything in any book for radio or coach what this is but mystery was solved. Also can insert some Thumbdrives that had lots of music on it is a bonus. Cost for garmin update $70 . Thank you to everyone with your inputs i appreciate the help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210313_183039.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	324576  
Old 04-11-2021, 02:05 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad you got it to work. I’m still trying to get the files unzipped. I downloaded the program to my MacBook and it was supposed to be decompressed but looking at the folder , there are a lot of zipped files on it and if I plug in the usb the radio just states it reading forever....
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:07 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
Glad you got it to work. I’m still trying to get the files unzipped. I downloaded the program to my MacBook and it was supposed to be decompressed but looking at the folder , there are a lot of zipped files on it and if I plug in the usb the radio just states it reading forever....
I do want to say that the 2 zipped files from Kenwood were dramatically different in size...one unzipped quickly I think the file name included Dab other was huge took a long time to unzip first before loading them all on the USB Thumbdrive. Once I inserted the Thumbdrive into the radio to update again it did take a long time to update the radio, at least on my Kenwood.