Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2017, 07:40 PM   #1

How well do Allegros hold up over time?

Thank you for checking my post! We are considering downgrading to an older rig so we can customize it without taking a huge hit on depreciation. We are looking at the 1996-2001 Allegro models at the moment. For example, if we had the cash and our rig was sold right now we would be test driving this rig here. https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Fre...o-33-122105094

I have always had a soft spot for Allegros and I have heard mostly good things. But, as the title states, how well do they hold up over time? How many people here are sporting a unit this old now? Is there anything/certain model years I should keep an eye out for? We plan to live and travel in this rig full time and want something that is built well in all aspects. Thanks again!

Chris
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2017, 07:54 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Travels View Post
Thank you for checking my post! We are considering downgrading to an older rig so we can customize it without taking a huge hit on depreciation. We are looking at the 1996-2001 Allegro models at the moment. For example, if we had the cash and our rig was sold right now we would be test driving this rig here. https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Fre...o-33-122105094

I have always had a soft spot for Allegros and I have heard mostly good things. But, as the title states, how well do they hold up over time? How many people here are sporting a unit this old now? Is there anything/certain model years I should keep an eye out for? We plan to live and travel in this rig full time and want something that is built well in all aspects. Thanks again!

Chris
Wow, that is a clean looking RV, looks to be in great shape, although I do not own the year of RV you are looking for, my 2005 Allegro Bay is holding up great.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:04 AM   #3

Main thing I would recommend if you get something 15 yrs or older would be to have engine completely serviced, before doing anything to it. Like new engine belts, svc trans., etc. even if they looked ok. Dave
Old 06-28-2017, 10:29 AM   #4

I bought a 2000 Allegro M28 (30ft) earlier this year, as with you I went for an older model as we wanted to modify it with minimal resale loss.

So far it seems in fairly good shape, but I have found lots of little things that needed fixing. Be prepared to check every system still meets its operating specs and is securely installed.

Some of the things I've had to do so far:

Remove and re-install the cooker, the hole was originally cut too big and was basically held in by 2 screws - resulting in part of the metal mounting cracking. For now I've just made an additional bracket that helps hold the weight.

Check and double check the roof, mine seemed in good condition, but for some reason they ignored the seams and running lights so it was leaking.

I had a screw hole in the top of the fresh water tank, quite why this ended up there I don't know.

Valves on my black tank were worn out, very dirty job to change.

The internal wall panels in places were coming away from the frame (multiple places), so rattling.

Bed frame loose from all mounts, lots of new screws to secure this back in place.

I had an oil leak on the generator, which only had 240hrs (from a rather unusual place, but gasket sealant seems to have solved it). This was days of work due to removal and cleaning as it was coated in thick black sludge :( It still doesn't start from internal switch.

The HWH jacks were DOA, this was initially a broken fuse holder, but also turned out to be a wiring harness that had disintegrated due to the way it was secured to the frame (loose cable ties are sharp). They are still a little intermittent but can be persuaded to work.

Water heater was full of crap and the anode rod was completely gone, cleaned out and replaced anode.

Chassis wise I had to change airbags and a ball joint, tires were already new. Wiper washers still don't work (need to review)

The headlights were awful, replaces by the seller but still awful (may look aftermarket, might just need relay system)

My guess is had this been a cheaper quality coach, I would have had EVEN more to do. As long as you are not worried about getting your hands dirty its probably a good move.

If at all possible I would suggest a few years later, as to get the later P32 chassis with wide track, or the earlier workhorse ones (assuming chevy not ford)
mjleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:58 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 2000 Allegro Bay 34 ft; have had a number of small issues but nothing major. I like my M/H but I intend to tear out the small tub/shower and redo he bathroom. Can't do much about the dated colors and interior cloth. The outside is faded but nothing terrible. I have the one large slide out, it would be good to have another. I'm 70 years old and intend to keep my M/h, keep it in good shape and put miles on it while I have good health. I have really been surprised with the Ford V10 power.
shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:29 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 98/99 (chassis say one thing registration say another). I just bought it last fall. It was very clean, a little fading on the outside. We've had a few minor things, such as a weak slide motor, squeaky furnace motors. If you feel you are really intune with checking them out, do a very through job...check every thing. If not, while expensive $1200 - $1800, pay some one to do it, could save you a lot in the long run.

Looked at your rig...yes it does look nice, good luck
Speck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:50 PM   #7

We recently got back into RV's after a 15 yr absence. We bought a 1994 28' Allegro and love it. The previous owner maintained it very well and made the hit on the expensive repairs over the past 10 yrs , such as new generator, refridge, water heater, furnace and a/c and tires. We have added new house batteries, recoated the roof, removed carpet and installed laminate, and new steer tires and wife made some inside decorator changes. For just the two of us it works great. Engine runs like a top, 85000 and going strong!
airshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:40 PM   #8

Although I do not have an allegro I did purchase a 1997 Coachman destiny and it took a lot even with a good quality to begin with... Hydraulic lines dry rotten, tires of course, and every system needed a refresh as it had been sitting for 4 or 5 yrs... Motor needed all service, belts, fluid, thermostats, etc...

Like mentioned above if you are handy it is a fun past time. I did go a little overboard with adding fireplace, wood floors, new faucets, etc to update. But we love it...

Afterwards all was said and done with complete renovations was around 30k. That was doing it all myself. Never went to a shop... Just used my consultants on irv2.....
Adamsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:37 AM   #9

We bought our 96 Allegro Bay 34' 3 years ago, and love it! Been a few surprises, but it was intended as a starter to see if we wanted to continue in that direction, and as a project for me as I transitioned into retirement. It has served us well in both respects. Am now in the process of spec'ing out a new Showhauler truck conversion, and will be selling the Allegro. With the benefit of hindsight, I'd do it exactly the same way again. Any motor home will be a project, but starting with a solid, older, unit you can save a lot of money, and have a lot of fun.

Anyone interested in a 96 Allegro 34', Ford V8, 1 slide, 47k miles?
Old 10-06-2017, 06:19 AM   #10

Picked up a 93 Allegro Bay 32' last year. Spent the first month totally going through the coach replacing, repairing everything I felt was not 100%. Replaced all tires, front springs, air bags, tie rod ends, swaybar bushings , U joints, lights with LED's , batteries & all fluids/filters. Repaired dash A/C , generator & wiring. Everything works as good as new.

Tags
allegro