Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #29

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Pretty sure the "Bob" I spoke with at the last Allegro Club Rally was Bob Tiffin. At least his wife was Mrs.Tiffin.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #30

My father has a 2006 that I do most of the work in. He has had a couple chassis problems. The Tiffin portion; fridge (of course), washer, he had them add tile coverage, slight problems as he got the 1st from that year (wiring diagram does not match as all of his wires are white. 1 electrical outlet problem with connection. This year when he gets back here we have to repair the entertainment cabinet as the wood has split. He polishes it every 3 months so the outside looks good. Did have to redo the slide gasket. Overall it has been good.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #31

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
OK, here is a historical reference.
My wife and I own a 1990 front engine diesel (Cummins) Allegro. So I can speak to the issue of longevity.

First, remember that the longevity of the manufacturer is as, or more important that that of the coach. I still feel comfortable calling the factory for info and parts, and the fact that the phone is still connected helps that.
Does everything work as well as on the born day. Pretty much.
I doubt anything protects resale value of a motorhome better than support from the manufacturer.

My main problem is that my wife is no longer comfortable with just a lap belt seat belt and I have yet to get an answer to that problem. I have written to the factory but they remain silent on the topic. I consider it my problem not theirs, but some info on the structure might help. No doubt there is a lawyer between me and the answer.

PS: Faced with the choice between a perfectly good motor home and a perfectly good wife who won't ride in it I feel the choice is clear.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #32

We have had our 03 Phaeton for 4 1/2 years. We do like it. The fit and finish of the early one's is not all that. We have had and continue to have a lot of nontiffin issues. We have 90k miles and all that going down the road yields little problem, I think it is fairly structurally sound. When repairs are necessary I am continually amazed, chimps must do some of the work. I believe this is common to most builders. However some genius designed our water bay with carpet over metal, with a lot of very poor engineering contributions I am looking at a real mess. I am currently working over the bay but I think the problem exists across the width. I think by 06 the made a lot of improvements.
Stnlss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #33

Tiffin is a good machine

I have a 2008 Allegro Bay Fred 37QDB, and I bought it new- I have had to do several fixes, but not any more than other coaches- It helps for a person that owns a motor home to be mechanical inclined and able to do most repairs himself- I have had to insulate the engine compartment to reduce heat and noise, and also replace several windows due to fog up between glass panes- Tiffin is customer sensitive and will provide info and help as good as any manufacturer- Fact is, no coach is problem free- If you buy a motor home you need to be ready for this and not get discouraged each time a problem arises............................
DannyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #34

I bought this 07 gasser brand new ,and have had it in the shop every year for some thing .Many things the first year where the dealer had it at least three months. The moter for the front slide out , the front tv ,the rear view camera ,the rear slide out works some time ,the day night shades fell apart,the main rear stop light quit,the convection oven had no vent built in ,both front wheels had to be replaced ,most of these things paid for by me .Today the rear air conditioner is leaking into the bedroom..... Am I a happy Tiffin owner....NO
ggbridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #35

These coaches kind of interested me as many say good things about Tiffin. I noticed in this thread there was a few things said about questionable quality and/or random problems. I was watching some youtube videos where dealers were showing off the 2012 units...
One inparticular caught my attention. It was a 40' Allegro Bus with a few slides and all the works! As they went through the coach it looked really nice BUT then they focused on the kitchen faucet which was a Price Fister...?? Really? I do a lot of bathroom and plumbing work and PF is by far one of the worst faucet companies on the market. How have the faucets been holding up in these coaches?
Not that its hard to replace one but I was just wondering.
EnolaEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Our first motorhome was a 2001 Tiffin Allegro 31D (gasser). Overall we were satisfied with the motorhome and earlier this year moved up to a 2009 Phaeton 40QSH (diesel pusher) with nearly 30,000 miles on it. We've already been on a number of trips and have been very pleased with it. Have we had any issues with it? Absolutely! However, as another poster put it, it's mechanical and anything mechanical (especially a motorhome) will, from time to time, have issues. We would have no qualms about purchasing another Tiffin. Best of luck in your decision!
JWEibeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #37

Of course any buyer of a moter home expects some repairs to be needed,or should ,but I think on a new rig you would be expecting to have or buy a vehicle that would not scare you to take it on a long trip.................What else will fail this trip ?? EACH trip and I only have 25000 miles ,some thing falls apart or fails...
Old 07-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
We are very happy with our 07 Allegro Bus, it was 4 yrs old when we bought it. No issues with Tiffin. Fact is, most of the vendor items that are high fail rate are the same vendors that appear on competitor brands: windows fog, HWH valves fail, Norcolds die, dishwashers leak, airbeds don't inflate. The key is "can you get experienced help when you need it."
You will get that assistance from Tiffin.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #39

No you don't allways get quality work or repairs from Tiffin..!! I took mine in for head light repair ,the west coast rep for tiffin worked on it ,told me it was fixed ....it still has one light up and one light down. The convection oven had no vent ,I asked for one,they put in the cheapest thing on the market,now when the wind blows the vent clanks over and over again. The front flat screen caught fire ,3 months after I bought the unit ,after driving all the way to Tiffin hq. from california,they said we cant get any more flat screens we have to put in an older brand ..? The front pop out was dragging ,actually breaking bolts ,they fixed it by putting in bigger bolts. The back pop out still occasionally stops half way out and I have to get under the bed and extend or bring it in with a wrench,I now keep one under the bed full time. I have replaced the camera ,both front tires ,raised the tail pipe ,replaced the pop out moter,the rear air conditioner leaks onto the bed,some of the wall paper is starting to droop.This unit has been in one repair place or another at least 6 months of its life.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #40

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It’s unfortunate that you have troubles that seem endless. But, several items solutions caught my eye:
1. The MW/ Convection vent is supplied by Sharp. It’s bugged others with the flapping sound; but a few have added a rare-earth magnet weight to the flapper.
2. The front slide-out motor is binding & causing you to shear bolts. You might not have solved the root issue there. Watch/measure operation for squareness; if one roller might be binding. Inspect your motor’s linkage at the drive shaft shear pins. If the holes are elongated and no longer tight to the bolt…flip the square tube over & re-drill new snug holes for the pins.
3. Bedroom slide might be a track/gear problem if it simply stalls. If , on the other hand, it suddenly goes silent, check the motor ground and power connections.
4. A/C roof leak might be a clogged catch pan and drain connection. Immediate repair necessary.
5. Visit trvn.com forum for more concise expertise from knowledgeable owners.
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #41

Sorry GG- I know you are frustrated and rightfully so- I recommend you talk directly to Bob Tiffin and tell him your problems and see if he will get them all corrected- Sounds like your coach needs a good going over and fixing by the factory- Good luck to you...........
DannyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:18 AM   #42

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Beware of Tiffin

I owned a 40ft 2004 fleetwood, for 3 yrs, no problems ever. Wanted to upgrade so when with a 2008 Tiffin Bus, no thing but problems, including being stranded on the side of the road last 2 trips. Meet Bob Tiffin at Red Bay and he did nothing, said it was his manufacturers problems.

BEWARE OF TIFFIN!!!

This is respectfully my opinion. Now own a 2012 HR Endeavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcolivier View Post
I realize I may be starting a religious discussion, but I would like to get the opinion of some current or former Tiffen Phaeton or Allegro Bus owners as to the "wearability" of their coaches. That is, after 3-5 years, or even 10 years, do the drawers and doors still operate properly, cabinetry and flooring still look good, exterior still have that new coach sparkle? Engine still run well? All systems still working solid?

I'm looking closely at Tiffin versus Newmar and it appears that Tiffin has better value and pricing, a good reputation and a solid following. Is it just as good after you have had it for a number of years? Would you buy one again?

Thanks for your thoughts.
cutter56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin